Any knowledgeable Evinrude guys?

I got a 1998 175 Evinrude Ficht. Recently rebuild the power head and I’m in the process of timing it. I have the manual for the motor but it doesn’t really give me any details as far as where it should be at idle. If I’m understanding right from the internet, it should be set to 6* atdc…..does that sound right? I have the diagnostic kit arriving this week. Hopefully it’s pretty easy to use.

2. Member
    I'm surely no expert but when I built XXX engines sometimes the timing is set at full advance running at speed, per specs, and the initial timing fell where it may.

3. Member
    A ficht timing should be set by the emm
    Lowrance Pro-Staff
    Picasso Outdoors
    PowerTeam Lures
    Red Dirt Baits
    Boing Lures
    E Custom Baits
    Full Throttle Tackle

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I'm surely no expert but when I built XXX engines sometimes the timing is set at full advance running at speed, per specs, and the initial timing fell where it may.
    Yea I saw some videos on that too, just not a video of what I’m working on or info.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGambler206 View Post
    A ficht timing should be set by the emm
    From my understanding that’s correct to
    a point. But the final adjustments need to made to the emm using the diagnostic software.

6. Member
    Where are you located I have the software
    Lowrance Pro-Staff
    Picasso Outdoors
    PowerTeam Lures
    Red Dirt Baits
    Boing Lures
    E Custom Baits
    Full Throttle Tackle

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGambler206 View Post
    Where are you located I have the software
    I’m in Cincinnati area, more specifically Harrison, Ohio. I got the software on the way. I really appreciate the offer though. Maybe you can answer some Questions if needed??? I’m pretty good mechanically but the computer stuff scares me a bit. I’m not a boat mechanic, just a guy that knows his way around a motor and loves to fish.

8. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    thanks for the link. I looked through it and still can’t find exactly what I’m looking for. But tons of great info there. Thanks !!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted G View Post
    thanks for the link. I looked through it and still can’t find exactly what I’m looking for. But tons of great info there. Thanks !!
    ask you questions there also some sharp evinrude techs there. also a etec forum on facebook I believe that dealership techs hang out on
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted G View Post
    I got a 1998 175 Evinrude Ficht. Recently rebuild the power head and I’m in the process of timing it. I have the manual for the motor but it doesn’t really give me any details as far as where it should be at idle. If I’m understanding right from the internet, it should be set to 6* atdc…..does that sound right? I have the diagnostic kit arriving this week. Hopefully it’s pretty easy to use.
    Post this in the evinrude johnson forum & you'll get the answer you need.