Megabass Javelin

Looking for a dedicated rod for 1/2oz Jackhammer with trailer. Live in New England so we have a lot of grass. Would like to go with a Megabass rod. No budget. Prefer Flouro 14-16lb, but will use braid to a leader when grass gets thick. Will the Javelin work? Any other Megabass suggestions? Prefer longer rods for casting distance. Thanks!
    Last edited by Frezzy; 03-26-2024 at 11:51 AM.

2. Member
    I happily used my MB 2017 Javelin for presenting larger crankbaits and 1/2oz chatterbaits until I got the MB Valkyrie 71MH in 2018, since then my Javelin rods have been relegated to long term storage. The Valkyrie is a composite rod that allowed me to present the chatterbaits in grass and have enough power to rip through the vegetation while having the forgiving midsection needed to put fish in the boat without them jumping off during the fight which occurred often with the Javelin.

Today, if I had to choose between all of the MB rods I own for use with a 1/2oz Jackhammer in grass, it would still be the MB Valkyrie 71MH. While the model line is now out of production, many excellent rods exist for sale on the secondary market in Japan.

Good luck with your rod search sir!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

3. Member
    Orochi EMTF. Perfect 1/2 oz jackhammer rod for me. Levante would also work.

4. Member
    Mad Bull as well, and it's also a bit longer.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    My favorite Jackhammer rod is the Gen 1 Orochii XX Diablo Spec-R. I have 3 of them. For reasons I can't really pinpoint I don't like the current DS-R for Jackhammers. If was buying another Jackhammer rod today it would be a P5 Daemos.

I think the EMTF and Javelin are better suited for bombing around treble hook lures.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax