Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Praying New Garage Build - Wall Covering Options?

So my wife and I are breaking ground this week on a new home. We have already been through picking finish and trim options for the entire house, the only thing left at this point is the inside of the garage. This will be a 3 car garage where we plan to store both of our vehicles and the boat. I will also have a fishing workshop area setup in there on the wall alongside the boat with slat wall panels to store things and rod storage on the ceiling above the boat.

Our homebuilder quoted OSB walls on the inside of the garage, but I definitely want to upgrade this. As of right now, I’m thinking about knotty pine tongue and groove for the walls, and metal for the ceiling with can lights and a couple fans to help circulate air and keep things dry. We would of course apply a good coat of poly to seal things up as well.

Has anybody done this type of exposed wood wall coverings in their garage? Have you had issues with moisture?
    ~Matt Miller
    23’ Phoenix 21 PHX - 250 ProXS

2. Member
    Tongue and groove will look amazing and give you a cabin feel
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150

3. Member
    No issues, I used hand planked pine myself.
    1.jpg2.jpg
    2021 Ranger 521C
    2021 Mercury ProXS 250
    3 x Lowrance HDS12's
    1 x Lowrance HDS9
    Active Target

4. Member
    I like the idea of a white metal roof as it will really help with the lighting. Tongue and groove pine is nice and fairly reasonable. I have also been looking at some rough-cut oak slabs from various sawmills, Give it a little more rustic feel?

Unless you have an abundance of light you will not like the dark colored walls. My garage has wood and I have trouble seeing good enough to work on tackle and such.

6. Member
    How's the knotty pine tongue and groove for strength? I like the osb as you can hang shovels, shelves, etc without any issues.

7. Member
    It moisture is a concern just run a dehumidifier

8. Member
    When we did our shop, the builder did the metal ceiling and LED lights. I did the walls in OSB, with caulked joints and two coats of paint. Until you are close, it looks like drywall, but would be easy to replace sheets for any electrical upgrades or other reasons.

Look at this for the walls outside, or inside if you like. It's a very nice looking siding for sure! And you get the rustic look.

https://indianametal.com/woodgrain-steel/

10. Member
    Trusscore if it’s available in your area

11. Member
    I used OSB, 2 coats of paint never feel bad about putting a screw anywhere to hang something. OSB on the ceiling also, painted white
    2023 921 Elite
    Mercury 25 Pro XS Bobs Hydraulic
    Power Poles
    Humminbird 12 gen4, and 3 10 Gen4
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

12. Member
    Led lights and a couple high gloss coats of white paint and you will feel like your in an operating room with how bright it will be. Wood will definitely look more appealing but will feel much darker. More importantly you are going to insulate right?

13. Member
    I did complete metal walls and ceiling in mine, all black with plenty of lighting, but pine tongue and groove would be sweet, was just out of my price range. I did do an old barn wood wall under my loft.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
    No issues, I used hand planked pine myself.
    1.jpg2.jpg
    Man that looks awesome.....boat ain't half bad either
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

15. Member
    I like the look of this in man caves/ boat garage etc. https://www.woodhavenlog.com/products/half-log-siding/

IMG_6082.jpegIMG_6081.jpeg
    I’ve got unfinished pine shiplap with painted drywall ceiling and led shop lights. No issues with moisture other than condensation on the garage door windows in winter when it’s very cold.

17. Member
    Like everything else there's a website for those issues
    https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...age-gallery.7/

rabbit hole

18. Member
    Painted OSB, metal, and they have some nice paneling now.

They don’t require a firewall there?
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece22 View Post
    How's the knotty pine tongue and groove for strength? I like the osb as you can hang shovels, shelves, etc without any issues.
    We have T&G walls in our living, dining, kitchen area (open floor plan). It is very strong with regards to hanging stuff...within reason. If it is something heavy, like a deer shoulder mount, big TV, etc, find a stud. Otherwise, no problem. I will admit, it was a couple of years before we hung anything. It was hard to commit to putting even a small nail in those beautiful walls. That feeling will pass.

The wood will age over the years and get a few shades darker. We have a lot of windows so lighting is not an issue, but in a garage you may want some additional overhead lighting.

If you go with T&G, a tip that was told to me is to get the wood and leave it in the room for several days to get acclimated to the climate before I installed. I was skeptical, but I had plenty of other things to do, so... OK. It went up well and 20 years later I haven't had any issues with the joints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast