Livescope install question

Can I use an on/off switch on the console like we would use for a light switch to turn the box on and off?

Thanks,
    Darrall
    Darrall Dougherty

Yes. I’d suggest you connect it to a master cutoff switch though that all of your sonar units and accessories are attached to so one switch shuts the whole thing down and prevents draining the battery while in storage.
    ~Matt Miller
    23’ Phoenix 21 PHX - 250 ProXS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darrall View Post
    Can I use an on/off switch on the console like we would use for a light switch to turn the box on and off?

Thanks,
    Darrall
    I do. Wired it in to the bus bar under the console to the same switch for all electronics. Works fine.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

4. Member
    I just responded to the other live scope thread on this. To clean up the picture it’s best to run one perko at the battery and if you are concerned you might over heat the FFS transducer, go into the menu and stop transmitting will cut the power to the transducer. If you have a dedicated FFS screen and put it in sleep mode the black box is still powered and will continue to feed power to the transducer. It’s 2 buttons to push and without the additional switch keeps the screen a little cleaner.Hope this helps
    2017 Ranger Z520C
    250 Evinrude ETec With Marks HP Prop
    4 Garmins 7610 xsv with Live Scope
    10 foot Power Poles
    Dobyns Rods

Quote Originally Posted by Dadof4 View Post
    I just responded to the other live scope thread on this. To clean up the picture it’s best to run one perko at the battery and if you are concerned you might over heat the FFS transducer, go into the menu and stop transmitting will cut the power to the transducer. If you have a dedicated FFS screen and put it in sleep mode the black box is still powered and will continue to feed power to the transducer. It’s 2 buttons to push and without the additional switch keeps the screen a little cleaner.Hope this helps
    Why would the transducer overheat?
    Darrall Dougherty

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If it stays on out in the sun (not in water) it will overheat but there is protection built into the unit that when if it reaches a certain internal temp. it will turn off ducer.......once you put it back in water it will cool off and come back on.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...bZ0vvmLNSAZ3PA

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    If it stays on out in the sun (not in water) it will overheat but there is protection built into the unit that when if it reaches a certain internal temp. it will turn off ducer.......once you put it back in water it will cool off and come back on.....
    I'm assuming turning off transmit will keep this from happening? I have a toggle switch in the GLS10 power cable so I can shut the box down without killing the whole circuit, but if stop transmitting will protect the transducer I'll eliminate the switch (2 less connections to worry about).

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

9. Member
    I hit transmitter off when moving a ways and I know it will be out of water for a long run and I have a toggle up front I use when I'm done for the day I flip it and it shuts down box

Got it. So, if you kill the power to the black box, it will also kill the transducer power, correct?
    Mine will never come out of the water while fishing. It's an electric only lake.
    Darrall Dougherty

11. Member
    I had the perko switch to cut power at my black box before I upgraded my wiring and the switch hurt the volts to the unit. Garmin fixed the issue with the update recently to kill the power with the transmit option to save the transducer from overheat. So yes you can eliminate the cut off and allow more clean power to your black box unit. I went from 11.3V to 17.6V with clean wiring.
    2017 Ranger Z520C
    250 Evinrude ETec With Marks HP Prop
    4 Garmins 7610 xsv with Live Scope
    10 foot Power Poles
    Dobyns Rods

Quote Originally Posted by Dadof4 View Post
    I had the perko switch to cut power at my black box before I upgraded my wiring and the switch hurt the volts to the unit. Garmin fixed the issue with the update recently to kill the power with the transmit option to save the transducer from overheat. So yes you can eliminate the cut off and allow more clean power to your black box unit. I went from 11.3V to 17.6V with clean wiring.
    So, are you saying the black box will now turn off when you turn the graph off?
    Darrall Dougherty

13. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The black box always turned off when you turn your graph off UNLESS you have multiple units on the network then it would stay on until everyone is off....

The black box always turned off when you turn your graph off UNLESS you have multiple units on the network then it would stay on until everyone is off....
    Thanks for the info.
    Darrall Dougherty

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Sometimes we just WAY OVER THINK about these installations. Here is how i see it......have a master on/off switch for the whole setup for electronics/boat/dash/fuse box that way you can turn it off at the end of the day of fishing......if you want to have the ability to turn off Livescope at anytime while you are fishing then add a secondary switch at your console. Other than that, hook it up and go fishing.....it will ok......

16. Member
    Sometimes we just WAY OVER THINK about these installations. Here is how i see it......have a master on/off switch for the whole setup for electronics/boat/dash/fuse box that way you can turn it off at the end of the day of fishing......if you want to have the ability to turn off Livescope at anytime while you are fishing then add a secondary switch at your console. Other than that, hook it up and go fishing.....it will ok......
    That’s how I wired up my graphs.

17. Member
    I stop transmitting every time i move. Done it so much it's a habit now.