Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's The Most To Spend On A Rod

I'm curious as to how much you are willing to spend on a rod. I work at BPS, and I find that most people are willing to spend a lot more for a top-flight reel than they are on a rod.

2. Member
    It varies with every person. Some have no problem spending $700-1000, while others won't or can't spend more than $50.

I have spent up to $400, but prefer to stay in the $200 dollar range. And I am off the camp that likes to have a better quality rod than reel.

Depends on what I’m using it for. For bottom contact or other “feel” type presentations I’ll spend a lot more and have several NRX rods. For crankbait, topwater, or chatterbait type presentations I tend to stick in the $200-$250 range because I just don’t need the sensitivity.
    ~Matt Miller
    23’ Phoenix 21 PHX - 250 ProXS

4. Member
    This question gets argued on here every few months and the answer is and always will be a personal thing. Some can't understand how anyone would spend over 100 dollars for a rod or reel while others use nothing but 1000 + outfits. I used what I could afford without hurting my budget when I started. Now I'm old retired and can afford to spend whatever I wish and love using higher end equipment so that is what I have.

5. Member
    I can't afford a Aston Martin, a million dollar house or a 30k watch. Kids are grown, bills are paid and I can't take it with me when I die. Learned a long time ago that high end gear makes fishing a much more enjoyable experience, catching or not. Topped out on MIJ (Made in Japan) Bass gear and got bored. My latest pursuit is mountain stream trout fishing. I have several Anglo & Co's that ring in around 1k each and a couple of full Avail Abu 2500's that are considerably more. My gear doesn't catch anymore fish that the guy who buys his gear at BPS, but I gauranee it is more enjoyable to use.

6. Member
    My limit goes higher and higher as the years go by, at this point I'm at $250.00 and it has to have a short full cork handle with a hook keeper.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaftm45 View Post
    I can't afford a Aston Martin, a million dollar house or a 30k watch. Kids are grown, bills are paid and I can't take it with me when I die. Learned a long time ago that high end gear makes fishing a much more enjoyable experience, catching or not. Topped out on MIJ (Made in Japan) Bass gear and got bored. My latest pursuit is mountain stream trout fishing. I have several Anglo & Co's that ring in around 1k each and a couple of full Avail Abu 2500's that are considerably more. My gear doesn't catch anymore fish that the guy who buys his gear at BPS, but I gauranee it is more enjoyable to use.
    Aquaftm45 has the right of it, I'm enjoying retirement (finally) and realized some time ago (1997) that I can't take it with me so I've enjoyed my smallmouth bass fishing using the best gear I can source and it's been a delightful time on the water. The excursion into using BFS gear last year has increased my enjoyment even more!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

8. Member
    Generally, you get what you oay for, but people have to get what they can afford or feel comfortable soending. Not sure about the conclusion about people willing to spend more for reels than rods at BPS as BPS doesn’t even carry the high end stuff (especially rods). Reels seem more “substantial” for the money so I can see the spending bias leaning towards reels. Personally, I feel rods are more important to spend money on (but i wouldnt get junk reels either).

9. Member
    With current models and technology $200 - $300 buys a heck of a rod .
    Most will agree that for $225 - $250 the Shimano Expride B line is incredible.
    They fish into the $400-$500 range and can be bought pre owned in great shape for $200- $250
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    I'm curious as to how much you are willing to spend on a rod. I work at BPS, and I find that most people are willing to spend a lot more for a top-flight reel than they are on a rod.
    It's because there are no mecanics involved in a rod. Most people will change a rod 2 or 3 times putting the same reel on it.

I would be willing to spend quite a bit on a rod.
    This is how I see it : You get a rod that's under 100$ and you have everything you need to catch fish. A general purpose rod with ok guides and good action and sensitivity.
    You get a rod between 100$ and 200$ and you have better accessories: better guides, better reel seat, better reel grip.
    Between 200 and 300$, you get a change in the blank. Maybe more durability, or more sensitivity with a better graphite blank. How much better? Maybe 20 to 30 %.
    Over 300$, you get a rod that is more specie specific or technique specific with a special action with again better accessories.
    Over 300$, is high end. Even more specific in action and with maybe 10% more sensitivity. But for someone who is used to a 300$ rod the increase in sensitivity will appear tremendous because, if you go from a 300$ rod to one that's more expensive, sensitivity is very important for you.

11. Member
    Have about 2 dozen NRX and Conquest rods. It probably my only guilty pleasure in life.

12. Member
    Im into 4 NRX+ spinning rods now. I pick them up during sales. I used to have some Stellas but now a Vanford is my top spinner. I have Bantam and Metanium casting reels but dont spend nearly as much on my casting rods. About $300 max

13. Member
    I have been fishing for 20 years and I don't think I have ever spent more than $200 on a rod and reel combo. The Pro Qualifier reels do good for me.

14. Member
    I don't spend more thaan $80.00 for a rod unless it's for resale. I buy and sell used equipment and sometimes run into $200+ rods for $100 or so, but I don't fall in love with them, in they come-out they go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

15. Member
    Usually 250 tops but I’m thinking about splurging on a nice expensive combo this year.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

16. Member
    I spend what I feel reasonable. I can afford what I want but feel the Daiwa Zillion is the pinnacle of my needs for reels. I do have a Steez A that I paid $180 for; it’s a great reel but the Zillion just fits my hands better. I’ve spent as much as $400ish on a reel (21 SLP Zillion). Rods, it gets a bit more ambiguous. I have several $500 rods but I’ve spent no more than $300 on any rod. I am of the mindset the rod is more important for feel and action but to me the reel makes the experience. I consider myself a budget fisherman in the sense I try to stretch my dollar as far as it will go. Through this and with a bit of patience I’ve found several $3-500 rods priced around $100. So to answer your original question, I’m willing to spend what it takes to make fishing a rewarding experience just short of NRX prices. One day soon maybe I’ll up the ante and get on many of your levels.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    With current models and technology $200 - $300 buys a heck of a rod .
    Most will agree that for $225 - $250 the Shimano Expride B line is incredible.
    They fish into the $400-$500 range and can be bought pre owned in great shape for $200- $250
    I agree the Exprides fish way above their price point. The A models were no slouch either

I'll come at this from a different perspective - not personal but as being a supplier - since we have lines at various price points.
    Based on sales, $250 - $275 is the sweet spot among tournament anglers.
    $100 - $150 has a more mass appeal.

19. Member
    I like high end rods, but I also know I don't need them to be successful. $650 is the most I've paid.

20. Member
    Another 2 cents thrown in. Rods you can feel. Techniques, presentation, castability, and sensitivity are all rod dependent. Unless you are using crappy reels, rods have more to do with your presentation than anything else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast