Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Over the last 10 years or so I've had $75-$100 rods up to $550 rods. At some point there are diminishing returns and you end up paying extra for the look and logo. Most of my rods now are in the $250-$300 range and are pretty sensitive and the right actions/powers for what I like to do.

And there are plenty of deals out there to get nicer equipment for cheaper.

2. Member
    When I was younger, I only bought the high end stuff like NRX, legen extremes etc. Now, I tend to enjoy fishing rods that just feel right and often represent good values. Drewflu turned me on to Phoenix Feathers and there are certain models that I would match up to any rod regardless of price in how well they fish. Orochi Diablo Spec R is another example of a mid priced rod that does it's job as well as any rod out there at any price.

A Falcon Cara is $249 and the Expert is $199. I'll never need a rod better than those two.
    Last edited by SoonerFan; 03-28-2024 at 05:47 AM.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

4. Member
    I’ve got some $40 Lews and Berkley rods on the low end and St Croix legend tournaments at about $300 on the high end. There is a difference but not a $260 difference. I’d never pay more that $200 I don’t think, try to find the nicer stuff on sale. I have no problems with cheaper gear at all though, it all works fine.

5. Member
    I have a bunch of NRX and a couple NRX+. So yes they are expensive, but have never paid full retail for any of them. Usually can find them for about 25-30% discount.

6. Member
    A 200 dollar rod is fine and no one needs a more expensive rod but life isn't always about what you need sometimes it about what you want and can appreciate.

7. Member
    I learned how to build rods several years ago. I can build a rod that is equivalent, or IMO better than an NRX, for about 300 CAD (Canadian dollars). An NRX is 900 CAD. However, if I were still buying factory rods, 300 CAD would be my limit, and would be St. Croix like the few factory rods that I still have.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

There's retail and then there's what I'll pay
    I've bought NRX's as demo's or Used. There's no way I'd spend retail on them
    Kistler Z-bones, On Sale or I look for a lightly used one
    Crank rods I like Dobyns for the full cork handles. And I buy them on Sale day

So, Max maybe 400. Avg I'd guess less than 200

9. Member
    You generally have to get above the $150 mark to get a rod not made in china, I generally pay what it takes to buy one made in USA. I do have a few St Croix rods that come from Mexico at about $180. I mostly buy low end Loomis around $250 with $300 being my ceiling. Reels are another story, unless you buy a Shimano it's gonna be made in China. China hates us, I refuse to give them my fun things money.

10. Member
    For a $300 budget, for example, I'd spend $200 on the rod and $100 on the reel. In my mind the rod's characteristics trumps that of the reels and is really the heart and soul of a rod/reel setup. The rod for the most part determines how, what, and where you'll be fishing as well as how efficient you'll be for a given technique or approach. The reel is basically just there for line management.

I like G Loomis rods and have used them for over 20 years. I have a mixture of GLX, IMX Pro and GCX. Prices range from 260.00-550.00. One day I would like to try a NXR+ to see how good they are.

I have a mix its based on application. Steez, P5s, NRX+, for contact. I am not going to use that level for JBs, spinnerbaits, chatter, cranks, top water. I sit in that 150-200 range. The high end is like any thing, its a like....most rods above 150 will do absolutely fine, and after that its all peacocking.. . Justify all you want, you are not catching more fish with them. I have been a loomis user for over 30 years, and when loomis was loomis, ordered all my rods custom from the factory. Ack then, the gap was pretty wide between loomis and everyone else , today not so much.

Used to Turkey hunt with a buddy, Diana Grade Citori, was it necessary?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chatabass View Post
    You generally have to get above the $150 mark to get a rod not made in china, I generally pay what it takes to buy one made in USA. I do have a few St Croix rods that come from Mexico at about $180. I mostly buy low end Loomis around $250 with $300 being my ceiling. Reels are another story, unless you buy a Shimano it's gonna be made in China. China hates us, I refuse to give them my fun things money.

China hates everyone. I don't care where things are made, I just buy the best I can afford. I'm definitely not gonna encourage mediocrity by telling American companies I will buy their stuff even if it sucks. Then they have no incentive to make products better or cheaper. Competition is good.

$250…. of course it makes you roll your eyes when pros break one on camera in a T…
    used rods often super deals on BBC

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

I’ll be honest, I started out as a budget angler and lived in that $150-$250 range for a long time. Had a couple Tatula Elite AGS rods, but after a while I gave up on them. But lately, I’ve grown to appreciate the high end stuff honestly. I am kinda an enthusiast angler. I fish a lot of Steez and P5s, had a couple Loomis rods through the years. But after fishing the high end stuff, it seems overkill honestly but I love how light they are lol! I enjoy rods. I haven’t paid retail, but close.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chatabass View Post
    Ahem...higher end Daiwas are also made in the Land of The Rising Sun.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Ahem...higher end Daiwas are also made in the Land of The Rising Sun.
    Correct, and Daiwa & Shimano low end stuff is outsourced to countries in SE Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    Correct, and Daiwa & Shimano low end stuff is outsourced to countries in SE Asia.
    Both Daiwa and Shimano actually OWN and OPERATE their own state of the art facilities outside of Japan. They do not "outsource" their reels, with the exception of the Daiwa CA, CR, and CC models...

19. Member
    Everyone is different.
    I remember when I won a gift card on black friday at Bass Pro many years ago, I bought my first "high end" rod, an $89 St. Croix Triumph spinning rod. Up to that point, it was all hand-me-downs and cheap Shakespeare rods. But that day, I bought that St. Croix and a Pflueger President spinning reel. I couldn't believe that I had just spent $150 on a rod and reel! Fast forward to today...I own 5 NRX+ rods. I've "bought" about 7 rods this year already (and haven't been fishing once). That's a loaded term though, because 4 of them are bare blanks to build on. The 3 factory rods I bought? Probably average about $400 each (Orochi XX, P5, and Triza...wanted to sample Megabass). Of the rods I'm building, 2 will cost me less than $130 start to finish, 1 will be about $200, and the last one will be in the $300-350 mark. I have a reel (just 1) that's $750. I have probably 7-10 reels that were $400 Retail new (many I bought used).

For me, it's about weight. I just enjoy fishing with lighter weight, better balanced gear. I'm a horrible fisherman, but at least I give it a go and enjoy my limited time on the water.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

20. Member
    Custom Phenix k2 blank with carbon fiber split grips and titanium guides is about 565. That’s my Max. Shimano new style bantams and Daiwa Steez is what I use. Typically buy second hand that looks good as I can fix pretty much anything mechanical.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast