Question Oswego & Oswego River

My son is moving up to Oswego and we are curious about fishing the Oswego river. We really never had a plan to fish Lake Ontario with our bass boat I assume there are days it would be okay. But the Oswego river looks interesting and wondering about access and distance available to boats. Thanks
    2015 Crestliner VT 19 Pro Edition
    2015 Mercury 150 HP 4 Stroke
    Run mostly the Hudson river and creeks

2. Member
    The river has fish but doesn’t compare to the Lake. I’d fish the river if the Lake is too rough. Oswego river has a lot of locks making short distances between between them. Oswego is a short ride from Little Sodus Bay (Fair Haven). That’s a nice little bay to fish when the lake is too rough. Also some good access to Lake Ontario when it’s not too rough.

3. Member
    Thank you that does look good.

4. Member
    My parents had a camp in fair Haven when I was in high school and it’s one of my favorite fisheries in the state. The town itself is imo what small town Americana should be especially during the summer. We try going back up there every year for just a day trip.

Lake Ontario itself can be fished more times than not, we always did well with smallmouth in the main lake. Just need to use your brain and don’t push the limits but even right in the harbor we’ve done well. Within 45min of Oswego there’s Mexico bay, Port Bay, Sandy pond, big sodus bay, cross lake, Onondaga, and Oneida. So plenty of opportunities to bass fish are around.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Thanks. Lots of good information.

6. Member
    If you want some rock solid entertainment and front row to local MMA fights go there during the salmon run
    Nitro Z18
    175hp ProXS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzebackpro7 View Post
    If you want some rock solid entertainment and front row to local MMA fights go there during the salmon run
    It’s always fun to watching folks from Jersey and the Bosnians fight over a half dead carcass of a fish.

oh and harbor fest in the summer is always a crap show. Should be named to Trash Fest. We avoided the place like the plague during that time.

Joking aside, the sterling renaissance festival and apple fest was always a fun time. Ontario orchards is an awesome place
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp