Possessed Solix…

My console Solix G2 10 started showing low voltage and would shut off sometimes when I started the motor. I had a 4 year old North Star X2 so I bought a new one. The problem persisted. Cat Fan was gracious enough to offer me some suggestions. The Solix, pumps and Ethernet hub are all that are connected to the cranking battery.

I talked to Humminbird and they thought a new power cable might fix it so I had one installed (no change). My electronics guy said maybe running power directly from the battery to the Solix would work (no change). While my motor was being serviced I had the alternator and voltage regulator checked. They are fine. Finally I talked to Batteries +. They had me take the boat to their shop. They checked the near new X2 and decided that there might be a reserve capacity issue so they gave me a new X2 (no change).

I’ve already spent several hundred dollars on this problem so I had the unit wiring changed to the Lithium battery which powers my other 2 Solixes. Now it can’t shut down when I start the motor. I still think it is possessed because at the beginning of the day the other units show a 13 volt supply and 12.9 at the end. The possessed unit shows 12.7 to begin and 12.4 at the end. I’m not going to buy a replacement unit as long as this thing keeps functioning.

2. Member
    Have you swapped positions with one of the other 2 Solix units? That might prove it is the unit or possibly the wiring to the problem units original position. Not hard to do and might help isolate your problem. If the lower voltage stays or follows the unit. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    No I have not because it is built in and I am too old to get under the console plus electronics labor is $115/hr and as stated I am done spending money on this issue.

4. Member
    i have the same issues with voltage to a single Solix unit at console, mine won't get over 11.6 volts, while the Lowrance sitting right next to it is reading is 12.5 volts,all units have their own power supply that is ran straight to the battery

5. Member
    The voltages do vary between units, if you are using the displayed voltages. What counts is the actual voltages.(read by a meter)At the closest connection to the unit(power cord where it connects to the power circuit) with the unit powered up. Compare to the battery while the units are still on. There will be a difference called the voltage drop. If it is over .2 or .3 volts you have a wire size or connection issue. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    found my issue with voltage; a buddy of mine is well versed in electronics(actually does phone repair) He took my Solix 15 apart and the problem is the power supply connector has failed. The connector that connects the cord to the board had gotten hot for some reason and quit, changed that out and its like a new unit