Mold on bathroom ceiling

When I bought this house a couple years ago, started noticing black dots on the ceiling. The bathroom closet and room itself are very damp after someone takes a shower. I installed a vent fan thinking that would would the issue but it has not. Wife and I getting tired of cleaning the ceiling all the time. Any suggestions?

2. Member
    Had the same issue,we cleaned the bathroom ceiling real good and wife put 2 coats of Behr paint on it after I installed a 50 cfm vent fan in there.I should've put a 100cfm in there as the mirror still gets foggy in the winter time from taking warmer showers,but the ceiling looks great.

3. Member
    Hold a tissue up to your vent when it's on - if it's not sucked up so it's flat against the vent, then you need a better/newer/bigger vent.

White vinegar not diluted sprayed onto the mold and left a little (20 min) before scrubbing off may help but it'll still leave some staining. Should remove spores though. Wear a mask.

4. Member
    If- you have a crawl space, more than likely there is water in it.
    Get the water issue resolved- sump pump , French drain, then encapsulate it.

If- you don’t have a crawl space, I’m guessing you have an insulation issue.

I ll bet there is mold in the attic.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strazor View Post

White vinegar not diluted sprayed onto the mold and left a little (20 min) before scrubbing off may help but it'll still leave some staining. Should remove spores though. Wear a mask.
    Cleaning vinegar is stronger and will do a better job of disinfecting.

I second the idea of upping the CFM's on your fan. A lot of the cheap little fans aren't moving much air. The other thing to check is your exhaust venting. Is it too long of a push? Is the hose kinked anywhere? Are you running the fan for 15 minutes or so after showering with the door cracked open? Is there enough air entering the bathroom during shower time to ventilate (is the room too tight)?

Rude150's point about insulation is worth checking out too. Use an infrared thermometer to check the ceiling temp in cold weather
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

6. Member
    Run a fan blowing in the bathroom door for an hour or so after each shower. Also run it blowing in the door while showering it will keep the steam/condensation from staying in there. Keeping the moisture out as much as possible.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNKingCx19 View Post
    Run a fan blowing in the bathroom door for an hour or so after each shower. Also run it blowing in the door while showering it will keep the steam/condensation from staying in there. Keeping the moisture out as much as possible.
    Yep!
    Depending on your household, we never close the bathroom door when showering and I'm usually the one running the water the hottest and longest showers. Ours is pretty small and it barely fogs up the mirror.

ps, those built in blower fans.... we call 'em FART SNATCHER's

8. Member
    Spray your ceiling 2x a year with this and you will never have that problem again…GUARANTEED
    https://www.amazon.com/Tilex-Mold-Mi.../dp/B00P6NYX54

I don’t know what extra ingredient is in this stuff besides bleach, but it works 10x better then bleach

9. Member
    I think this is the one I've used in a couple of remodels. If not, it was very similar. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Panasonic-R...CFM/5012912565

Wouldn't run it at anything less than 110 CFM
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

10. Member
    Had to install a new fan in a house I owned 20 years ago to get rid of the 'damp' smell and a few black spots. Had to put a better fan in and repaint the whole bathroom after the bleach treatment thrice over.

11. Member
    You can get a rechargeable rermote fan that is on a timer to run after you shower. I have one that I use all over the house. My GF is not on board with the fan so I bought an awning window to install in the shower down the road with a roof project. The remote fans are sweet. The little one I use also has a light. My living room has no overhead lights so I am going to get a remote control rechargeable fan with lamps or maybe 2. You hang them on a swag hook.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I think this is the one I've used in a couple of remodels. If not, it was very similar. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Panasonic-R...CFM/5012912565

Wouldn't run it at anything less than 110 CFM
    yup, a good fan is very important

I have done a bunch of mold “remediation” over the last 25 years.

As others have said look for it elsewhere; crawl space and attic. Once you have isolated the problem make it go away i.e. rip it out, miracle sauce is only a band aid. Including your bathroom ceiling, rip it out to the studs and hope like heck the mold hasn’t gotten there.

When you put it back oversize the fan. In addition let the fan run 15-30 minutes after the shower is last ran. The condensation is also in the pretty little decorative towels and they need to be dried out as well.

Yeah my approach is heavy handed and over the top but you’ll only do it once.