Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    So far, it has helped more with crappie than bass. I have it on a separate turret and that has made a big difference. I hated it on the trolling motor shaft.
    2021 Gator Trax 21' Strike Series
    Mercury 250 ProXS #3B134663

2. Member
    I very seldom focus any given trip on FFS strategy. I fish the way I am going to fish for the most part, but multiple times per day I spin the trolling motor to some random spot and see fish "out in the deep." I keep a FFS rod/bait on the deck of the boat so I pick it up and fling a bait at these FFS fish. As a result, I catch an extra 1-10 fish any trip because of it. I would never have thrown a bait out into the "channel" if I had not seen a group out there.

YES !

4. Member
    Two electronics I would consider key now, FFS and Sidescan. Been FFS capable since last November. It has changed the way I fish. You learn to go hunting, not just fishing a pattern in hopes you run across them. You can learn to determine how active they are by how they are moving and reacting to baits. You can fine tune your presentation to find what they want, plus have smaller or different style baits to present until you unlock their mood. You will see that lots of fish will run up to your lure and do nothing. You will be amazed at how aware the fish are of say a falling jig or money shot minnow quite far away and will start moving in. when they do that and don't bite, time to fine turn the retrieve, weight of the jig (fall rate), and even color (cleaner the water, the more natural it looks can be key). Now, just running the bank, you can see the underwater points not visible from shore, rocks, rockpiles, brushpiles, logs, baitballs, schools of fish, ect. You will quickly realize why Crappy Brakes are becoming popular as they allow you to back off quickly and go to work. I can fish an underwater hump and know on every cast if I am casting precisely. If you are in shallow bays, you can see the small groups of bass roaming around and then cast to them at angles towards the middle that you would have never considered in the past because of the way we were "trained" by the pro's.

Rick Clunn said it publically - what FFS has taught us is that everything we thought we knew about bass fishing was wrong. I have the same thoughts and if you really want to learn bass fishing, you need FFS.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

5. Member
    Yes it has and has made me more efficient in locating fish. I've been able to find/catch fish from a couple feet of water up to 30 feet of water using FFS. However, as with most things it will require a good amount of effort and commitment to understand how the technology works.

6. Member
    Nope not on bass, have caught crappie and stripers using it.

7. Member
    Don't have FFS. Find the baitfish using 2d and/or sidescan and bass will be in the area. Old school but it works for me.

8. Member
    Duh, and anyone that says no doesn't know how to use it.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

9. Member
    I mostly crappie fish but the first fish I caught with FFS turned out to be a bass. Saw the blob on the end of a skinny little lay down. Brought a 1/16th, 2" grub by him and out he came. Watch him come get it. It was a hoot. Bass love a snack. Many tournament anglers seem to forget that. Coming back with only 4 fish sucks. Throw something small until you have 5 then get to work.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    I mostly crappie fish but the first fish I caught with FFS turned out to be a bass. Saw the blob on the end of a skinny little lay down. Brought a 1/16th, 2" grub by him and out he came. Watch him come get it. It was a hoot. Bass love a snack. Many tournament anglers seem to forget that. Coming back with only 4 fish sucks. Throw something small until you have 5 then get to work.
    Yep, this is why ned rigs and 3 inch sonar minnows are the rage....bass like easy....
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

11. Member
    I think they will eventually ban it from the pro tournaments. I hope they do anyway. From what I have seen, I do not believe it is good for our sport....but the genie is already out of the bottle.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

12. Member
    I got rid of mine. As soon as I turned it on fish would start jumping in the boat.

13. Member
    IMHO. If you have bought and installed FFS and it isn't helping you catch fish, you either aren't using it, or haven't spent the effort to learn to use it.

I ain't no "scoper". Doubt I ever could or would be, but I've spent a fair amount of time learning a little about, and catching a bunch of fish with it.

I'm a shallow water flipper, but Mega Live is FUN. It's exciting to watch a fish come up 10 feet in the water and inhale your jerk bait. It's frustrating to watch them turn away.

You can like, or not like, FFS at your own discretion (I have my reservations), but there's no doubt it will help you catch fish if you give it a try.

14. Member
    Recently added FFS to my boat and am still getting used to it. I can see where it would help but I can also see where one might become too focused on the screen. Will be interesting to see how it either helps or hurts my fishing this season.

15. Member
    I've really concentrated on crappie fishing since i've had mine but i plan on applying it to my bass fishing this summer at night when they move off shore.

16. Member
    I've caught fish because I have had, but I would still catch fish if I didn't have it. I've instances moving around deep rock piles where I would see a fish appear as I moved around the rocks. A quick look at the direction of the TM and I could drop close to it and catch that fish I could see.

Yes, I was getting bored with fishing, It has been fun learning a new technique, I can sometimes see fish hit my lure now but can definitely see lots of schools of bass and bait making it easy to find productive areas and leave areas with nothing going on.
    Mike Wright '07 Ranger 520vx
    Henrico Va./Henrico NC.

18. Member
    It just helps me be more efficient. I fish grass and docks/boat houses and structure. I can quickly look at structure and see if anything is moving. Then, I don't wantch the screen to fish. I actually still use feel too catch them.

360 is my greatest tool. I can do without ffs, but not 360.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

19. #FRB
    I've had it for a couple years now. I'm slowly getting used to livescope fishing. I'm mainly a spotted bass fisherman and it's great for that. I use it to find fish and then cast in that general direction. Rarely watch the screen to see if I'm being precise because that's just frustrating.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12