Ulterra owners solo launch

I fish alone frequently and I'm considering the Ulterra Quest and it's ability to be launched unmanned. I realize it could be great until it isn't, but hoping to get some real world feedback from any owners here. techniques, mishaps, or positive comments. Thanks in advance.

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    A friend of mine had the previous generation Ulterra on his previous boat and used the remote to launch and retrieve the boat when launching by himself. His comment to me is that you only forget to power up the trolling motor before launching once... especially in the winter.

I have the Ulterra Quest but it stays on a lift on my dock at my lake house. If I were to use this capability, I would make sure I had a backup to the remote, like the One-Boat-Network Mobile App in my case, or the Minn Kota Motors Mobile App for the previous generations of the Ulterra.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Member
    I can see this for sure "you only forget to power up the trolling motor before launching once... especially in the winter."

4. Member
    You need a backup plan, Stuff happens. A simple rope to pull it back to the dock works as well as the cool look of driving it back to you. And you don’t have to rely on bluetooth or your memory. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I had an Ulterra and it failed to deploy a couple of times. Had to make sure the Jack screw was clean and Lubed. As others have suggested, I would have a back up plan.
    I too fish by myself 99% of the time. I attach a long rope between the boat and the winch hook and just let the boat slide off. For loading I installed a Boat2Trailer latch.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

6. Member
    I run a Skeeter walleye boat and launch by myself a lot. I would never do that. Sooner or later you are going to forget to power on the trolling motor, or forget to slide it forward on the bracket, or leave the remote in the boat.
    What works for me is I mounted a rope tie off cleat to my front step post and leave about 2 1/2' - 3' slack in the rope. Then back in till I see the boat start to float back. If you leave too much slack it is hard to reach the post to untie.
    I know some will back in to a certain point and drive the boat off the trailer, but at times you could back in too far and the boat will float away. Sadly, a longtime friend of mine had that happen a couple years ago with his new bass boat and the wind was blowing out and he went in swimming after it with his coveralls on. It was really cold that day and apparently the boat was drifting out faster than he could swim after it. Some construction workers working on a house next to the launch watched the whole thing. After a bit he started yelling for help and one of the workers stripped his clothes off and swam out to help. He was barely alive when he got to him and he tried to help my friend get to his boat but couldn't. They were way out in the lake at this point, too far to get him to shore and couldn't get him to the boat so he had to leave him and told him to try and float on his back and he left him to get the boat and get back to him. Sadly, my friend didn't make it by the time the worker got the boat back to him. I would suggest to all that if by yourself to never back in with out some form of connection to your trailer or truck.
    Stuff happens, MinnKotas commercial looks really slick till it isn't.

7. Member
    Had an Ulterra on my bay boat for a few years and never an issue. Even launched with it a few times and never forgot to turn it on first. Now forgetting the drain plug is another story.

8. Member
    I've got an Ulterra, and I base my decision on the specific day and lake. Ramp width, dock length, wind speed and direction, mud / rock bank, temperature, number of people around, etc. It works fine, I've done it quite a bit. Actually I do it most of the time. I will go rope if I feel uncomfortable with any condition.

Yeah, just remember to power up the motor. I work in railroad operations and process is drilled into us all the time, so that helps cause launching is a process. Now in saying that, I'll forget next time. Great.

9. Member
    I had a Terrova when it very first came out and thought it was cool to re enact the commercial.

Until I sent my boat out w the trolling motor switch off....

10. Member
    Do it all the time. One time left the remote on the boat as I launched it. Nothing like starting the day with a swim!

One other time, the spot lock was disengaged for some reason. Boat floated towards the shore where I was able to recover it.

Whenever I launch I now look at the speed and direction of the wind…I watch it carefully after I spot lock it and ensure it is in a spot where if it does disengage it will not be a problem for recovery.

Even with these issues, this remains the predominant manner I launch my boat. At the end of the day I also send my boat away and spot lock it while I get my vehicle over to the launch.
    Last edited by BoilermakerZ519; 03-29-2024 at 02:10 PM.

11. Member
    The rope sounds like a good backup plan and hadn't given wind any thought. Thanks all for the comments/advice.

30 feet of rope, tied to front cleat on the boat and looped over the jack on the front of the trailer. Back in, let the boat float off, let rope come tight, slowly pull forward till boat is pulled in and gently beached. Secure boat, park trailer, go fish. Simple and safe

13. Member
    Last Winter I took a guy out to his boat. He had forgot to power up his Ulterra.
    I don't have an Ulterra, but I've had a Terrova and now have a Motorguide Tour Pro. I don't use them launching but have used them at busy landings when loading my boat. I'll get out at the dock and drive the boat away a bit then spot lock it out of the way. When it's my turn at the ramp I use the remote to bring it back to the dock and pick me up. That's not as cools and the Ulterra video though.

14. Member
    I get in the boat for launch launch then use the remote to park/hold the boat away from shore or the dock. This method work with any ipilot remote trolling motor. As much as I love the idea of not having to even get in the boat to launch it, my ulterra occasionally/rarely hangs up on the deploy, and that would be a nightmare in a launching situation. There’s a bow hook called a drotto that makes solo launching a lot easier.

15. Member
    My Terrova hits the Bow Buddy (soon to be replaced with a Drotto) when sliding off the trailer, so I have it on slide back on my slide mount when launching. Because the Terrova and Ulterra are similar in shape, I'd expect that it would have the same problem and therefore couldn't use it in this manner. I typically just use a long rope tied to the trailer.
    1985 Skeeter SF-175 & 1985 Evinrude 150 XP (with VRO removed)