2012 225 Pro XS - Starts 4 times then won't start

Sorry for putting this on an old thread, Admins! I have migrated it here:

So I've read some great advice in here - thanks for what everyone has contributed! Love my first ProXS, but lately having some issues. Mine is slow too in the morning, however the last 2 times out it will NOT turn over after 4-5 starts / 4 or 5 hours on the water. Had to troll in from a mile out X2. Just got a brand New 31 AGM X2 1150 CCA X2 - same issue! Cables have been cleaned up at the battery terminals and at the starter. There is an "Eletric smell" right around the starter, however it works?! Just very slow/ sluggish to start. Ready to star replacing starter, cables, bulb, cylanoids. What do you all recommend? I hate that this happens in the best month for fishing! Appreciate all the great Merc engine minds in here!

2. Member
    Back to some basics, what is your voltage drop at to solenoid and the starter? Amp draw? If all things check out you may have a mechanical issue.

1. test battery SOC and condition
    2. voltage drop from battery positive to power point on motor
    3. drop test form battery to a good to motor block and starter case
    Battery post not the connector please

4. amp draw test starter moter current draw

Report back with result for next steps
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Another "cheat" test you might try: If you happen to have access to a resistor-box type (or carbon pile type) battery tester, try a short test AT THE BATTERY, and then try a short test AT THE STARTER SOLENOID. If the test at the solenoid shows more than .5 VDC drop in voltage, rule out each battery cable circuit by testing one lead straight to cranking battery, other to block (or starter) until you determine which circuit has the problem.

Don't overlook the battery SWITCH if you have one!

Note: When your starter is removed from the engine, there is a small rubber "bumper" or "stop" that fits onto the corner of the top starter endcap (where it fits into the block). If this device is damaged, missing, or improperly placed, the starter will drag TERRIBLY. Doesn't take long to check for it!

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor