1998 200 Evinrude Ficht hasn't run in four years....

I'm going to look at a boat this weekend that hasn't run in four years. It has a 200 Evinrude Ficht on it. Hull is in great shape, and I'm more interested in the hull; as the price is right even for a repower. That said, I've heard mixed reviews on the Fichts. I'm bringing two of my marine tech buddy's with me to check it out as best they can. Are there any specific things that these motors that I should pay extra close attention to besides compression?

2. Member
    A laptop with the Evinrude software if one of you Bro's have it. Look for open and historical faults. And obviously look at the typical stuff. Im no marine technician but Im going to go out on a limb and say the motor is worth about $500-1000 max.
    I read a lot about the Ficht's and seems as thou the early ones had a ton of problems. Not sure if its certain ones or all of them but Im sure others will pipe in with specifics.
    Bassmeister is the guy you'd want to listen too.

3. Member
    1998 was one of the first model offerings. There were several important upgrades maybe even a recall or two from 1998 - 2000. Especially an upgrade to the fuel distribution rails.
    Be sure to ask if there is any documentation of warranty work and other service.
    If you repower with Evinrude the rigging- steering, remote control and cables, main wire harness, key switch, oil tank - is compatible with all the later model EV’s

4. Member
    I had a 1999 ficht 200, i know one thing, these motors don't like to start when its cold out, I think the motor needs to spin at 200 RPM's before the computer throws a spark.
    I spent a lot of hours and money trying to fix mine so it would start in cold temps, never could really figure it out, always was a issue.
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

5. Member
    Just a follow up- I decided not to buy the boat this Evinrude was on, but the engine had perfect compression and wanted to come to life. Should be a good deal for the next guy.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by megastink View Post
    Just a follow up- I decided not to buy the boat this Evinrude was on, but the engine had perfect compression and wanted to come to life. Should be a good deal for the next guy.
    the next guys headache. not yours !!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Wise choice.....JMHO