Difference between Shimano SLX blue and SLX white

Yes, not a mistake. I have two SLX's. One is in the blue box and the other in the charcoal box. Two differences I see is the blue box one has blue SLX lettering and the charcoal one has white lettering. The second difference is the spool. The holes on the spool are slightly different but they weigh the same. Is there an internal difference?
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

2. Member
    I'm not absolutely sure and others might chime in but I think you have an original version of the SLX and a version of the second generation, the SLX A. The one with the white lettering is the SLX A. Yes, there is an internal difference. The second generation has Silent Tune, a system that reduces vibrations and makes for a smoother longer cast and also a different spool ( S3D spool) that is lighter and better balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    I'm not absolutely sure and others might chime in but I think you have an original version of the SLX and a version of the second generation, the SLX A. The one with the white lettering is the SLX A. Yes, there is an internal difference. The second generation has Silent Tune, a system that reduces vibrations and makes for a smoother longer cast and also a different spool ( S3D spool) that is lighter and better balanced.
    Thanks, but like I said the weight of the spools is the same

4. Member
    My mistake, the review said a better balanced thinner wall spool and I figured ''lighter'' but if you weighted them you already know that was wrong.

My mistake, the review said a better balanced thinner wall spool and I figured ''lighter'' but if you weighted them you already know that was wrong.
    Thanks for the info.

So I checked some reviews and I guess the "O" rings the spool makes it quieter and cast further. Then I saw the review on the SLX XT and that it is a better reel for the extra $30 because of the braking system. So I think I'll go with the XT next.

6. Member
    I also have an XT and yes, it's a better reel. The external adjustment dial is really easy to use.

I also have an XT and yes, it's a better reel. The external adjustment dial is really easy to use.
    Thanks, glad I mentioned it.