Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Hard to imagine not even listening to someone who has been apart of the sport for so long because you already have an opinion. Crazy thought maybe we set back and collected informed opinions and watch how the facts play out before deciding. We to often treat our opinions as being facts and belittle those with alternate thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by schmidte View Post

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spbubba73 View Post
    Hard to imagine not even listening to someone who has been apart of the sport for so long because you already have an opinion. Crazy thought maybe we set back and collected informed opinions and watch how the facts play out before deciding. We to often treat our opinions as being facts and belittle those with alternate thoughts.
    I agree 100%. Also, too many people think scientific studies determine "facts", when that is not what their purpose and conclusion is. To use that overstatement to describe research results demonstrates an oversized ego and narcissism that any real scientist that graduated from a real Research 1 University has been trained to never indulge in.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadYakker View Post
    I agree 100%. Also, too many people think scientific studies determine "facts", when that is not what their purpose and conclusion is. To use that overstatement to describe research results demonstrates an oversized ego and narcissism that any real scientist that graduated from a real Research 1 University has been trained to never indulge in.
    Did you learn that while obtaining your Clinical Psychologist degree at a real University?

Quote Originally Posted by bparanoid View Post
    Did you learn that while obtaining your Clinical Psychologist degree at a real University?
    I think MadYakker may have learned that from reading self-help books.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    I think MadYakker have learned that from reading self-help books.
    It may have been posted in the comments of one of RB videos so it must be true.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    I think MadYakker may have learned that from reading self-help books.
    I think I saw something about that in the back of a MADD Magazine one time?

7. Member
    I'm 71 years old and ..........imho Cmaps, that were actually mapped(aka Precision mapped) did more to advance fishing than FFS.
    Techniques and information that took years and years to acquire was given to everybody in 10 minutes after spending $125.. It hurt my fishing a lot worse than FFS.

And the pros never once complained about Precision Mapping, side scan, downscan ,and HB 360.....which were all game changers.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BWQK View Post
    I'm 71 years old and ..........imho Cmaps, that were actually mapped(aka Precision mapped) did more to advance fishing than FFS.
    Techniques and information that took years and years to acquire was given to everybody in 10 minutes after spending $125.. It hurt my fishing a lot worse than FFS.

And the pros never once complained about Precision Mapping, side scan, downscan ,and HB 360.....which were all game changers.
    Mapping is a huge deal, we just take it for granted now. I have a section of river I fish where the mapping is horrible and you have to idle to find structure. I would much rather take mapping on it vs FFS.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

9. Member
    I really like the comments that say " Its the only way some of the younger guys know how to fish. Take it away and see what they can do then". One of these younger guys has been kicking old fishermen's tails since he was 13 years old. Its just another tool in his toolbox.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spbubba73 View Post
    In all fairness, Hank may have tons and tons of experience in bass fishing, but on this topic his negativity towards the technology is more from the competitive perspective unless I totally misunderstood him. I'm actually hearing two distinctly different arguments that are worlds apart. One is that guys are winning who aren't skilled and seasoned veterans with instincts, and that's unfair to their competitors. The other is that FFS will destroy fisheries. Those two arguments are addressing drastically different things. The first is of no real consequence to the majority of fishermen, the second affects everybody if it turns out to be true.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    What is certain is the amount of pressure that gets put on fish that ordinarily would never been caught is terrible.
    Bass fishing countrywide has become extremely less productive.
    So much to the fact that pros can no longer compete without it .
    If you think that’s productive to the sport ? I’m not sure you will ever understand.
    Of course…you will see a lot more pros going all-in on FFS to survive on the Elite Series.
    That in turn greatly diminishes the variety of techniques, patterns and skill sets a fan is used to following when they tune in to watch bass fishing.
    Same reasons MLB don’t allow hyped up baseballs and the PGA don’t allow hyped up Golf Balls.
    The amount of excuses guys will make to use this crap makes me laugh my ass off .
    Go put some time on the water … “ Off Shore “
    Larry Nixon and Rick Clunn smashed off shore fish for years long before FFS.
    They didn’t turn on their screens and light up their baits with crap to find them.
    That doesn't make any sense, if everyone moved off the bank then the fish on the bank would be easier to catch by using your theory. I'm not saying there's not new pressure on fish but if the pressure it moves to a different area of a lake, then place it left is less pressured. Using your theory, Nixon and Clunn smashing on the shore hurt fishing because everyone started using their techniques. If bass can adjust to pressure they can adjust to FFS, same as the bank. If they adjust then the technology isn't as point shoot and catch as some make it out to be. In fact it's not and mostly said by those who have never used it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgsalot View Post
    That doesn't make any sense, if everyone moved off the bank then the fish on the bank would be easier to catch by using your theory. I'm not saying there's not new pressure on fish but if the pressure it moves to a different area of a lake, then place it left is less pressured. Using your theory, Nixon and Clunn smashing on the shore hurt fishing because everyone started using their techniques. If bass can adjust to pressure they can adjust to FFS, same as the bank. If they adjust then the technology isn't as point shoot and catch as some make it out to be. In fact it's not and mostly said by those who have never used it.
    I just hope that those of you using FFS Chase those fish up into the shallower water where I typically fish. I'm not opposed to benefiting from the technology without paying for it!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bparanoid View Post
    No-they actually teach that is basic statistics and experimental design classes in the real sciences. Those who didn't learn it there learned it the hard way after having to spend another six months in graduate school when their graduate committee gives them a thumbs down in their comps and thinks it will teach them some humility.

Clinical Psychology is where they teach you what 'degree envy' looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie74133 View Post
    In all fairness, Hank may have tons and tons of experience in bass fishing, but on this topic his negativity towards the technology is more from the competitive perspective unless I totally misunderstood him. I'm actually hearing two distinctly different arguments that are worlds apart. One is that guys are winning who aren't skilled and seasoned veterans with instincts, and that's unfair to their competitors. The other is that FFS will destroy fisheries. Those two arguments are addressing drastically different things. The first is of no real consequence to the majority of fishermen, the second affects everybody if it turns out to be true.
    The third argument is regarding "fair chase." Is using a technology where the angler can pinpoint individual fish, perhaps determine their species, gauge their direction and speed of movement, and see in real time how they react to their lure a "sporting" way to catch bass?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    The third argument is regarding "fair chase." Is using a technology where the angler can pinpoint individual fish, perhaps determine their species, gauge their direction and speed of movement, and see in real time how they react to their lure a "sporting" way to catch bass?
    Are trail cams high powered rifles and scopes popping game at long distances sporting ways to hunt? I’m sure for some purists using firearms to kill a deer is giving the hunter an unfair advantage as far as “ fair chase. “

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadYakker View Post
    No-they actually teach that is basic statistics and experimental design classes in the real sciences. Those who didn't learn it there learned it the hard way after having to spend another six months in graduate school when their graduate committee gives them a thumbs down in their comps and thinks it will teach them some humility.

Clinical Psychology is where they teach you what 'degree envy' looks like.
    My question was clearly in reference to your "To use that overstatement to describe research results demonstrates an oversized ego and narcissism" comment. So I take it this was your opinion and not the result of a clinical assessment. Question, do those real Universities that teach real sciences have a real fishing course? You know the ones that ban FFS? Asking for a friend.
    Last edited by bparanoid; 03-25-2024 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    It is like fishing with dry flies for trout.

You spot the fish, after closely examining the bugs that it is eating, select a near perfect imitation, time the fishes’ rises, delicately place your presentation in front of the fish, and let the current feed the fly into the trout’s mouth.

Knowing the prestige given to presenting flies to trout, why is doing that to bass such an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Are trail cams high powered rifles and scopes popping game at long distances sporting ways to hunt? I’m sure for some purists using firearms to kill a deer is giving the hunter an unfair advantage as far as “ fair chase.

I think you exaggerate. I know no hunter who would say that^^^. However, every hunter I know would say that spotlighting, using drones, or using thermal imaging violates the concept of fair chase.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

BTW, the guy in the video in the closed thread completely failed to address the "fair chase" aspect of what Hank said when he made the analogy to golf and baseball restricting equipment.

Edit - Oops, that thread when "POOF!"

20. Member
    Blah blah blah. Stupid debate. FFS is here. Deal with it, cuz technology will continue to advance

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast