Thread: Skipping Reels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skipping Reels

Looking at buying new reels that will be used primarily for pitching/skipping. Are the reels labeled for skipping that much different than others. If so what brand/model is your preference?

2. Member
    I haven't used any of the reels marketed for "skipping" but I have had a lot of success using Shimano reels with only centrifugal brakes. Also the shallower/narrower the spool the better so a 50 size reel is best, plus you typically don't need much line with pitching/skipping so I would suggest getting a compact reel for this!
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

3. Member
    The biggest difference seems to be the ultra-shallow spool, but some have a heavier brake setting just for skipping. I think you could accomplish the same thing with most reels with less line and a max brake setting. Practice is the most important thing.

4. Member
    Nothing will help more than practice. But I will say that since I don't skip much (and therefore am not very good at it), I have found the Shimano DC reels and the Daiwa SV reels to be the best at allowing me to skip without getting bad backlashes.

5. Member
    I wouldn’t get one that pigeon holes you to just that. Get an older Tatula or a SV and you’ll be good. Quick tip is peel off whatever your longest skip can be, then take another 15’. Put a piece of electrical tape on the line and reel it back up. I prefer to keep it inline instead of across the spool. That will eliminate any serious backlash concerns and you’ll be golden. I’m proficient at skipping and I still do that if I know that’s what I’m doing all day. Making 500+ skips it only takes one bad cast that will cost you a lot of time picking.

6. Member
    Bought a Daiwa Elite Pitch and Flip last week, 8 to 1 , small spool, very smooth and seems well put together, looking forward to using it this season.

7. Member
    If you actually know how to skip it really shouldn't matter what reel you use.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WStorey View Post
    Agreed, I can't manage to skip, but I fish with dudes who have been skipping under docks, pontoons, and or trees on the water with all sorts of reels since the old 5500Cs.

9. Member
    Tatula SV TW

Quote Originally Posted by WStorey View Post
    This I skip with every reel I own. But the shallow spool reels will save you $on line if you get a massive backlash
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

OG greenie curado and an educated thumb

12. Member
    Most of them will work. I try to go one size smaller reel, like a 25 size AND us lighter line than most. Doesn't take long to get the hang of it. Cast easy as you learn. Skip, flip the bail closed by hand and work it. It will soon be natural.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

A spinning reel works pretty good for skipping baits. No shame in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoCialone View Post
    Bought a Daiwa Elite Pitch and Flip last week, 8 to 1 , small spool, very smooth and seems well put together, looking forward to using it this season.
    This is a good choice for a skipping reel.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxBassfisher View Post
    Tatula SV TW
    This^^

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Agreed, I can't manage to skip, but I fish with dudes who have been skipping under docks, pontoons, and or trees on the water with all sorts of reels since the old 5500Cs.
    Right. I was skipping a swim jig under docks yesterday with a 9 year old $80 Lews.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxBassfisher View Post
    Tatula SV TW
    This one.
    8-1-1

18. Member
    Personally, I think the rod matters more than the reel. Need to have enough flex in the tip to get the bait moving before it ever hits the water. I was fortunate enough to have a pool in my backyard for many years that allowed me to practice and get pretty good at it. I use Tatula's, but can skip with just about any reel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Most of them will work. I try to go one size smaller reel, like a 25 size AND us lighter line than most. Doesn't take long to get the hang of it. Cast easy as you learn. Skip, flip the bail closed by hand and work it. It will soon be natural.
    I’m sure he’s not talking about spinning reels

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    I’m sure he’s not talking about spinning reels
    Yap, if you can't skip with a spinning reel you shouldn't even own a baitcaster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast