Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Done went and got me a part-time job.

Starting into year five of retirement this month, got most of the long term RV traveling done that I care to do.

A couple years ago I noticed a small van tooling around my little town with the town logo on it. Figured it was some kind of courier service.

Talked to one of the drivers a year or so ago about it. Said they drive around and deliver whatever. Water payments to admin, golf clubs to the pro shops and make a bank run at the end of the day.

Job posted earlier this week so I put in an application. Got an interview the next day. Job offer later that day.

Schedule is Mon - Wed every other week. Route time is about 8:00 am to noon or so. That will work.

So what the heck, I'll give it a whirl. Three days on, twelve off, I should be able to work around my usual activities easy enough.

Pays real good too - $11.50/hr. Oh well, ain't in it for the money, just to add some variety to the retirement routine.

The little bit of income won't affect my social security job income limits.

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Congrats. I retired two years ago and wife last month. I didn’t retire to get another job but some like yourself enjoy it. Regardless you are in the driver’s seat
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

3. Member
    A guy in my old club does something similar. He delivers parts all over the state and New England. Works 2-3 days a week, pays enough to cover any trips they do during the year with a little extra. It’s just play money and an opportunity to get out of the house during the winter
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    I like it!! I always loved to work, and I actually miss having some job responsibilities in my later years. A job well done always made me feel good.

Have fun with it

I’ve been retired for almost a year now and haven’t put a dent in the list of stuff my wife wants done around the house. Hope I get them all done while I’m still able.

7. Member
    Retired nearly 3 years ago from a tackle shop that my wife and I owned (Paddletales) up in Canada. Took on a part time job last year at another shop opened by one of our old customers. Work 1-3 days a week. As stated earlier by breeves2245 it's not for the money but the enjoyment of dealing with the people, many of which are our old customers. At the end of the day we lock the door and go home. No worries.

8. Member
    Retired a short time ago. Been working on all honey do stuff. Didn't realize what I was gettin into. Only been fishin twice this year.
    Should go back to work and hire someone for the honey do's.

Can't wait to read about your experiences in your Letters To Penthouse.

Retired 34 years ago. I FISH

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

11. Member
    retired 6 months ago and already thinking about trying something else. getting bored already.

12. Member
    I have an uncle that delivers/shuttles vehicles between dealerships as his retirement job. He works just a couple of days a week and gets to drive all types of new cars. Sounds like a neat job.

13. Fishing is a Passion
    I have been retired going on 4 years. I fish on the weekends, play golf every Wed and Friday and Softball on Tues and Thurs morning. If I get handed a honey do list I call the handyman down the street.

So far no desire to work again
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

14. Member
    I retired and worked as a consultant for several years. Got tired of all the traveling and finally just went fishing. I might chase parts for a large crop farm from time to time, but is only a few times a month. Money is spent for fishing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Mo View Post
    I have an uncle that delivers/shuttles vehicles between dealerships as his retirement job. He works just a couple of days a week and gets to drive all types of new cars. Sounds like a neat job.
    A guy at our church did that same job. But, it turned into more than a full time job, as he now works for several local dealers and sometimes spends a night or two a week in a hotel when delivering long distances.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

16. Member
    Retired in May after 42 years with the USPS. Got a part time a month ago working as a AI robot assistant in two local hospitals. Supposed to work 3 -8hr shifts a well, but this week it's 5. Definitely a bit much for me. I think I'm going to tell them 3 day is enough.

I just took a Pasadena on a courier job for a title closing company that an old friend is starting. Few hours a day for two or three days a week....naww. I've worked steady since is was 14 years old...55 years of cutting my hair and dressing like someone else expects me to was enough. I enjoy my lazy mornings and fishing whenever the barometer says it should be good. I think I mostly enjoy NOT having to fight OKC traffic everyday.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

18. Member
    Worked for 41 years, retired for over 7 now and more power to any that want to go back to work but I am perfectly happy doing nothing some days and staying busy on others. Thought about trying a part time job once but could not figure out a day I was willing to be tied down to.

19. Member
    Those golf clubs are dangerous. There's always cougars around. Try to schedule those runs for the end of the day so if anything happens and you're... predated upon... it won't disrupt the rest of your responsibilities.

20. Member
    I retired 7 yrs ago.I started a little boat repair shop at my house. Last year was kind of busy. Only doing 1 or 2 jobs a month now. Had a major surgery in Jan, had what they call water on the lungs. It's better now. I really like what I do. If I don't physically better give it up, and just sit in my boat and fish.
    Wes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast