WWJD with squatters?

A thread in the lounge (Homeowner Arrested for Changing Locks on Squatters (bbcboards.net)) got me wondering what Jesus would do (or have us do) if someone was squatting in our property? With Bible verses like in Mathew (40 If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also.41 And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.
    42 Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.) it may seem that we should let them stay, but I don't think I could go along with it. Am I not enough like Jesus? How would you justify your view on it?
    Lowe Tahiti Deck Boat- Fish, Ski, Lounge- Rain or Shine

2. Member
    2 Thessalonians 3:10 seems to apply

3. Member
    I guess various individual scripture verses could be given and each seeming to given different directions on how we should proceed. Tough question!

Maybe Romans 13:1-7? But also an opportunity to ensure the squatters are shown love and see if saved or if not at least witnessed to.
    Last edited by Dixie-Raven; 03-20-2024 at 07:41 PM.

4. Member
    I believe there is a scripture that says " if a man will not work, he should not eat".

2 Thessalonians 3:10

Probably would apply to squatters also.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    I believe there is a scripture that says " if a man will not work, he should not eat".

2 Thessalonians 3:10

Probably would apply to squatters also.
    You have this right that it would apply to everyone, and the society Jesus was in at that time showed kindness to stranger and all those in need because there was all the agencies we have today providing for those in true need and seeking help.
    In my opinion, I believe that squatters would be seen as thieves, since they are trying to take others property for their profit without wishing to contribute anything in return to the rightful owners.
    Paul evangelized in many cities and countries staying in various places, when not imprisoned, yet, we read that he always offered to contribute to all who provided anything for his wellbeing even unto Rome.

6. Member
    A squatter is a thief and a liar. They hung thieves on crosses when Jesus walked the earth, so this hypothetical wouldn't have happened. The squatter would've been the bad guy in that scenario.
    On the other hand, if you had a spare house and someone asked you for shelter, Jesus would like that you helped them.
    I believe it probably not accidental that the good Samaritan took the Stranger to an inn instead of his own home. Had he taken him into his own home, followers would read that story and surmise that they're supposed to take people in their home as well. We have a responsibility to keep our family safe too.

Jesus surely did not take kindly to those who were doing wrong within His Father’s house…

When people choose leaders who do not follow the will of God, you should expect this kind of mayhem.
    Last edited by titanxt; 03-21-2024 at 12:08 PM.

8. Member
    This is a good one. No doubt we are called to obey the laws of the land AND care for those less fortunate than us. I don't think it's an accident that in situations like this individual bible verses can be used to support both sides of the argument. 2 Thessalonians is an interesting work. I think we need to read 3:6-15 to get more context of what Paul is trying to tell the Thessalonians in that particular moment in time, maybe it relates to this situation and maybe not. The squatters in this case appear to be 100% breaking the law and the homeowner is the victim. Disgusting.

9. Member
    Great question. None of us knows exactly what Jesus would do. Too many times Jesus is viewed as a fluffy gentle tolerant man. Taking the entire Bible in from Genesis to Revelation what Jesus did or will do many times is surprising (at least to me), but we know he was not the man so many wrongfully portray. It is important to talk about what He might do. Really enjoy reading the responses on this and I tend to agree with what I've seen posted. The hardest part would be loving the person while having to deal with this.

10. Member
    Last edited by Okie74133; 03-24-2024 at 06:35 PM.