Sprinkler System

Anyone install their own in ground system? Worth it to save a few bucks or just hire it out?

We only have 1/3 acre of lawn, wife wants one installed this year I am just debating how to do it.

2. Member
    If you are handy, especially with plumbing, do it yourself.
    Rainbird or Hunter will give you a blueprint if you go on their website and send them your yard dimensions . It will spec out pipe size, exact sprinklers, valves, etc.

Youtube has plenty of diy on this.

3. Member
    There is some grunt work, but you’re not cutting a trench large enough for a french drain. Here, the soil is soft and sandy, so this work would not be overwhelming for me. If I was back in TN, I’d give anything they asked to sub out digging that trench through the super rocky soil. Even with the possibility of renting a trencher, I’d pay to let somebody else take the beating from the machine and assume the risk of damage to their machinery.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

4. Member
    Whatever you decide make sure it’s drained in the winter if you’re doing this in WI.

5. Member
    I want to put a hydrant out at my fence line. One of those cast iron things that stick straight out of the ground. Anyhow, I think I'll take two tines off my rototiller and dig the trench. How deep do I have to bury the line?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I want to put a hydrant out at my fence line. One of those cast iron things that stick straight out of the ground. Anyhow, I think I'll take two tines off my rototiller and dig the trench. How deep do I have to bury the line?
    Below your local frost line. Call your local building inspector and ask him how deep is the frost line if you’re not sure.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by f16 1ub View Post
    Whatever you decide make sure it’s drained in the winter if you’re doing this in WI.
    The only thing I would change on mine is to have a self draining system. Both my neighbors have that all they have todo is turn off the water and open a couple of valves.
    John the Garage Doorman

Where I live, a lot depends on how you are going to supply the water. Here in Wilmington NC there is a $3000 charge to connect the system to the City water supply and then it needs to be installed by a Licensed Contractor.

Ways to avoid all these costs are if you already have a Well and then you can do it yourself.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

9. Moderator
    Don't do it. Just means you have to mow the grass more often.

10. Member
    Depends. Do you want to fish on weekend or mow. I put fake grass in during the drought.

its alot of work, and planning. i'd prolly pay someone.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I highly recommend a smart controller. I have a Rachio and it's great. Uses local weather station to keep from watering in the rain, seasonal adjustments, very easy to program.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

13. Member
    We have one in this yard including the extra meter. In five years I have never wanted to hook it up after dealing with systems at other homes we've owned. Expect something to break every year after it's been in a while. Put the anti back flow system somewhere easy to access and find someone that can winterise the system in the fall.

If you just gotta have one I'd hire it done after asking around locally for referrals.

14. Member
    I have a friend who installs irrigation systems and it's something I would NOT do myself even though I have the ability.
    A company who does this can come in and install it and be gone before you get the trenches dug plus you should get a warranty from them.
    Hi Mike.

15. Member
    I like my above ground system, it's comes from the sky!

Not sure I could think of a bigger waste than watering grass.

Oh well enjoy!
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.