AT2 Scout Mode to find Bream Beds?

Has anyone been able to use AT2 in Scout mode to find bream beds? I have an AT2 in Forward and another in Scout full time. Scout catches me a ton of open water suspended fish I would have never known were there without a bunch of constant scanning in forward. But I've noticed in shallow water (less than 10 feet) I have to bring my Fish Obsessed Mount up to 90 degrees to see anything beyond 10 feet out in Scout. I haven't played around with it in shallow water enough yet to know if bream beds will be visible on it or not. Just curious about other's experiences with it.

I'm strongly considering a Rytek Mount so I can really fine tune the angle of the scout mode. I'm noticing that angle is extremely critical and needs to be adjusted based on what depth you are looking.

They will definitely be visible.

One trick to Scout Mode in shallow water is to keep the transducer barely under the water.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    They will definitely be visible.

One trick to Scout Mode in shallow water is to keep the transducer barely under the water.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I think you and I may be the only two on this board who are really utilizing the full potential of scout mode and based on our offline discussions you are further down the learning curve than me. As more people add a second AT2 for Scout, people will start to realize how helpful it is.

4. Member
    My Carbon 12 using the AI3-1 transducer sidescan on 800 mhz
    does an amazing job of finding bream beds.
    Just saying......

Quote Originally Posted by 91tiger View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. I think you and I may be the only two on this board who are really utilizing the full potential of scout mode and based on our offline discussions you are further down the learning curve than me. As more people add a second AT2 for Scout, people will start to realize how helpful it is.
    I've had the jet-jon on the rivers here quite a bit this fall/winter/spring and have had more time to play around with Scout Mode. I've seen some really neat things, and 8 feet would be on the deep side of where I've been using it. Usually, I'm in 5 feet or less, 3-4 feet deep, and 40-50 feet of range would be typical.

As we discussed before, being able to use it almost like a flashlight on a stick, fine tuning the angles with each change of depth, distance desired, and terrain is one way to get the most out of scout mode.

I think that for finding bream beds, Structure Scan is still the best tool to use where it's deep enough to use it. However, once you find them, Scout Mode will be great for fishing them, and helping with boat control.

In shallow water where Structure Scan doesn't give great images and in conditions where you cannot actually eyeball them, I think Scout Mode will give you a way to spot colonies pretty easily. Particularly if you can look shallow from ever so slightly deeper water. Scout mode is just made for looking "up the slope", so to speak.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    I've had the jet-jon on the rivers here quite a bit this fall/winter/spring and have had more time to play around with Scout Mode. I've seen some really neat things, and 8 feet would be on the deep side of where I've been using it. Usually, I'm in 5 feet or less, 3-4 feet deep, and 40-50 feet of range would be typical.

As we discussed before, being able to use it almost like a flashlight on a stick, fine tuning the angles with each change of depth, distance desired, and terrain is one way to get the most out of scout mode.

I think that for finding bream beds, Structure Scan is still the best tool to use where it's deep enough to use it. However, once you find them, Scout Mode will be great for fishing them, and helping with boat control.

In shallow water where Structure Scan doesn't give great images and in conditions where you cannot actually eyeball them, I think Scout Mode will give you a way to spot colonies pretty easily. Particularly if you can look shallow from ever so slightly deeper water. Scout mode is just made for looking "up the slope", so to speak.
    I agree that side scan works really good for seeing them. I have Active Image HD on my big boat but not on my jet, which I would most likely be using to fish them. Also our shell crackers get up into little pockets that are full of docks and it would be very hard to run side scan and iddle into those little pockets. But shining into those areas with scout mode is very easy if I can spot them with it. Just need to fine tune the angle for the depth it sounds like.