Couple dumb questions

So I bought a spare motor for my iclass, Another 300hpdi. I know hpdis tend to be higher on the failure spectrum. so not wanting to loose out on a good days fishing figured I’d have a backup. Bought a backup motor it is in very good shape but knowing it had the stock Yamaha pistons (300ish hours) I pulled them and it was just in time.. pulled multiple locator pins out by pinching and pulling with my finger tips. Anyways de glazed cylinders with a ball hone and put 6 new wsm pistons and wrist pin bearings in. Went through fuel system, sent injectors to brucatos, mystery filters in hp pump, vst filter, metal mid pressure filter and the canister filter. Now I’m thinking crap do I just leave it sit now or should I try and break it in and run it a bit? Then I’m worried about it sitting with fuel in all the new fuel parts. Have the thought of just swapping it to my boat and running it and keeping my motor that’s on right now as the spare. But I also completely went through the fuel system on it a couple months ago. Is there a solid procedure to do to a motor to store it and keep the fuel system good? I’m assuming I should atleast break the motor in?

If it were me I’d want to know if all that work I just did was good to go

Sure wouldn’t want to have issues with your current motor just to find out the backup wasn’t ready

Also if you need the backup you really don’t want to have to go through the break-in when you really need it

as for the rest I don’t know if there is a procedure to prep a motor for storage
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    Thank you for your input I think your right just need to figure out a procedure for storage of a motor

Logic suggests you hook the motor up to a small 1 gallon gas tank filled with “Rec Fuel” and run it dry
    Then squirt a small amount of oil in each cylinder and with the kill cord pulled hit the key for a second

The unknowns are
    1 Do you use a stabilizer in the fuel and if so what brand
    2 If you drain the VST tank and filter bowl will the filters and low pressure pumps diaphragms dry out and need replacing when you pull it out of storage

Last I assume storing it in the upright position would be best
    "The handicapped angler"

5. Member
    I think you’re right on track and great idea with the small remote tank and with that I guess I could try to run it once a year on the stand to keep things lubricated and what not if necessary. It will be stored standing up on a stand coverd inside but not temperature controlled by any means.

Firing it up on the stand would require a full set of controls with ignition switch not to mention a very sturdy stand

But if you have these I think that’s a good idea to fire it up a few times a year just to keep it lubricated as well as put fresh gas in it

Only time I’d worry about firing it up is in the dead of winter but maybe a good heater to warm it up before starting it or hope for a warm day
    "The handicapped angler"

7. Member
    I have a full set of controls I lucked out in the guy I bought the motor from went to a mercury 4 stroke so I got everything including oil tank. and the stand is pretty sturdy it’s just built from some square tbg.Im thinking this probably is the best bet to maybe even set it up as a run stand with its own battery controls all that. Little excessive but would be kinda cool to have

Well looks like you got it figured out
    "The handicapped angler"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Well looks like you got it figured out
    Thanks for all your input!