New Helix 12 gn4 issue

1st time out with it. Worked ok until I loaded the lakemaster chip. Would immediately shut unit off on any screen that had a map screen. All other modes / screens worked fine. Even with chip in. Any ideas?

2. Member
    Try switching the card reader slots. If it does it in the new slot then it is the head unit or card. If it doesn't do it then it is the card reader slot

3. Member
    Both slots cause it to shut down. Could be software issue. Read something on hb website. Gonna try a update. 1st

4. Member
    Its the card I bet. I was trying to re load my person way points last week and the card was corrupted or something. It would lock up my unit and I would have to power it off or unplug it to start over.

5. Member
    Should be no waypoints on a mapping card. The waypoints go directly to the units memory. Wherever they came from( data on a storage chip or creation on the unit). You might mess up the mapping chip if you are putting data on it. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Should be no waypoints on a mapping card. The waypoints go directly to the units memory. Wherever they came from( data on a storage chip or creation on the unit). You might mess up the mapping chip if you are putting data on it. Bob

You take your waypoints off the unit with a CARD and put them on your computer and use Hbird pc to modify them, name them, edit them etc.

Then you put them back on a CARD and put it into your unit to re load them.

You cant put data on a locked lake master card.

7. Member
    I never figured out how to lock those little chips unless they were in the full size adapter. Although I am not sure what size the cards in the Helix are. I will have to check.
    OK the helix requires a full size SD adapter. As long as your device uses full sized SD you would have to have to slide the write protect to off to write waypoints to it. Unless you thought that is where they should be that would prevent waypoints on the Lakemaster card.
    Last edited by bobcoy; 03-23-2024 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added paragraph 2
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I never figured out how to lock those little chips unless they were in the full size adapter. Although I am not sure what size the cards in the Helix are. I will have to check.
    OK the helix requires a full size SD adapter. As long as your device uses full sized SD you would have to have to slide the write protect to off to write waypoints to it. Unless you thought that is where they should be that would prevent waypoints on the Lakemaster card.
    Helix 5, 7, 8 G3N/G4N, 9 G3N/G4N, and 15 have microSD readers. Helix 9 G1/G2N, 10 and 12 have SD readers.

BUT since Exporting GPS data is a manual function, if you don't have a map card in the unit, there won't be any on it. Use a blank card.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member

Nobody said anything on here about waypoints on a Lakemaster card but you.

10. Member
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. Did anyone actually read the question.
    After doing a update unit still shuts off with Map chip installed and trying to use a map screen. Guess I'll be calling Humminbird.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ210 View Post
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. Did anyone actually read the question.
    After doing a update unit still shuts off with Map chip installed and trying to use a map screen. Guess I'll be calling Humminbird.
    Like I said your MAP chip is likely corrupted. Id return or replace your chip or simply try another one you have to pinpoint it.

12. Member
    Your correct on the corrupt chip. Thanks Bad part is me trying to recoup my ebay$$ on this bad card. Lol

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ210 View Post
    Your correct on the corrupt chip. Thanks Bad part is me trying to recoup my ebay$$ on this bad card. Lol

If you just got it simply return it defective. I have found some great deals on amazon for the vx chips.

14. Member
    I'm past the date for return. Bought in Jan but just now tried to use it. Ill be contacting ebay