How big a pita is it

To replace one of the trim switches at the bow on a P2. It wants to intermittently turn on....

Should be bing bang boom, but check the wire connection first.
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WAWI View Post
    To replace one of the trim switches at the bow on a P2. It wants to intermittently turn on....
    Dude, you always have a problem going on with that boat….

It’s not hard, though a rough reach 8n the bow.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    Dude, you always have a problem going on with that boat….
    Lol, I spend alot of tow. My toys get used hard. I fished in some heavy rain all day and I'm thinking it has some moisture in it. Since everything it dry it has stopped trying to do it. I'm gonna order the switch and watch and see if it happens again. But yes I have spent more time fixing stuff on this one than I normally would considering it isn't quite 3 years yet.

Get you some long needle nose pliers if replace the switch. As mentioned, check for loose connections first. I pulled a wire loose a few years back when I slide a rod in the locker with the tip too high and then removed it. After that, I glued down a piece of carpet all the way to the bow and started using rod sock.
    I have a Sabre FTD. Similar rod locker length to a P2.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member
    Probably nothing wrong with the switch. Can’t tell you how many times I have read here on BBC about those bow switches going off on their own after fishing in a hard rain, and then being fine when they dry out. Experienced it myself twice.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Then yes, the switches need either replaced, or they require spray lubricant or petroleum jelly worked into the top side. The “hats” get Orem and allow moisture into the top side of the button switch. Those hats are a more durable silicone than the hats for the rod box switches. The rod box switches are softer than the step on button switch hats. Be sure your “hat” is in order and solid.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Probably nothing wrong with the switch. Can’t tell you how many times I have read here on BBC about those bow switches going off on their own after fishing in a hard rain, and then being fine when they dry out. Experienced it myself twice.

9. Member
    If I had an intermittent bow trim switch I'd either cut or remove the red wire if I couldn't get a good new marine rated switch to replace it. No fun being out on the water and the trim uncontrollable.

10. Member
    So the access will be under the trolling motor and is there some play in the wires to fish them to that hole I assume?. I did slide a rod under the tubes so it's possible I giggled the wires on the switch. I'm still thinking water just because it's stopped since drying out.

My Ranger did this once after power washing the carpet, it would trim up on it's own while driving down the road. Once everything dried out it never done it again. Needless to say I don't power wash the carpet anymore. Doesn't do it in a rain though.
    Last edited by 11pounder; 03-18-2024 at 02:53 PM.