Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Roofing Question.

A roofer said he can remove my shingles to the plywood put new plywood over the old plywood and re-single the roof. Has anybody ever done that or had it done . Pros and cons? Thanks

2. Member
    I suppose if the fasteners were long enough that would work.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Member
    Makes no sense as to why you would double up the plywood…? If there is rotten plywood, change it. Otherwise tear shingles and underlayment/felt off to the plywood decking, then re-apply underlayment/felt and shingles.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Hunter View Post
    Makes no sense as to why you would double up the plywood…? If there is rotten plywood, change it. Otherwise tear shingles and underlayment/felt off to the plywood decking, then re-apply underlayment/felt and shingles.
    Would be interesting to hear the reasoning. Is he wanting to lay 3/8" over everything because there's soft spots?
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

5. Member
    He said if he finds a bad board he will pull it off and replace it with a new one then over lay the whole roof with new plywood he said it will make the roof stronger. If I want to pull all the old wood off it will cost extra.

6. Member
    Sounds like a way to inflate his profit for some unnecessary work. I have seen shingles put on top of existing shingles, but never doubling up the decking.

7. Member
    I’ve had our crews do this before. Taking an entire roof deck off would be difficult and could lead to problems with rafters moving. I’ve done this when thin plywood was used initially and going on top with thinker plywood solves the problem. He’ll have to use larger drip edge to compensate for the extra plywood so it comes down on the fascia the same place the old drip edge did. If this isn’t done you might have to touch up your paint.

8. triton
    Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard, replace the board that needs to be replaced and
    lay your shingles...

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

9. Member
    Had it done to a roof in 2002 the plywood didn’t have any rot but the glue in the original plywood was starting to fail. Don’t know how it’s lasted since I sold that house a year later.
    John the Garage Doorman

I've heard of this in cases where a home has had several shingle replacements. Is it possible your wood has many nail holes in it now?
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

11. Member
    The cost difference to put all new plywood over the old is 1000 dollars for a little under 32 sq of roofing I didn’t think that was to bad? I just never Heard, of it done this way before he said a lot of Insurance companies are doing this. I don’t know guys, I’m just trying to get some opinions before I pull the trigger. Thanks

12. Moderator
    Get other quotes and compare. If they don't mention adding plywood then ask them if there is a reason to do so. Never heard of a roofer adding plywood for no reason.

13. Member
    I would get another roofers opinion that does not know the roofer you have, a lot are in with each other these days. If the roof needed two sheets to be stronger it would be by building codes. If you have extra layers of anything on your roof and it needs to be repaired, they charge extra for removing the extra layer down the road. If too many nail holes are a concern, inquire about Peel & Stick over the entire roof.

14. Scraps
    Poor, labor saving approach. Doubling the sheathing load too.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

15. Member
    roofer had to put thin layer of plywood on dads roof when he had it done. the original wood was dried out from lack of ventilation and would not hold nails correctly. likely what you have going on.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

16. Member
    That’s a bad idea. First they’re adding needless dead load, second, if you do develop a leak in the future you’ll trap water between the the two layers and that’s when your real problems will start. They should strip down to exit deck and remove/ replace any deteriorated sheets. Make sure they include ice / snow membrane 3’-0” past the inside face of walls
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Big J Mac View Post
    He said if he finds a bad board he will pull it off and replace it with a new one then over lay the whole roof with new plywood he said it will make the roof stronger. If I want to pull all the old wood off it will cost extra.
    That's alot of unnecessary weight on your roof by doubling it up.

My question is this. I can see replacing the damaged wood but why in the world would he want to tear off good plywood and replace it? That makes zero sense to me. I would call another roofer or two.

Also the math just don't add up. Keep in mind I'm just talking rough figures here. 32 squares of shingles covers 3,200 square feet. It would take 100 pieces of plywood to cover the same 3,200 square feet. You can't buy 100 pieces of plywood for a 1,000 dollars much less put it on at that price.
    Last edited by wareagle24; 03-16-2024 at 06:32 AM.

Common up here on older homes where boards where used before plywood was invented. After time the board spacing increases and you have the risk of nailing shingles to the gap’s instead of wood.

19. Member
    I think his biggest concern in the wood up there is thin and getting weaker over the years. I have been up on the roof and it will flex when you walk on it but looking at the roof from the ground you don’t see it sagging between the rafters. I did get two other estimates and they where 3 and 4 thousand more then this guy. That’s why I reached out to BBC about the way he is wanting overlay this wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Big J Mac View Post
    I think his biggest concern in the wood up there is thin and getting weaker over the years. I have been up on the roof and it will flex when you walk on it but looking at the roof from the ground you don’t see it sagging between the rafters. I did get two other estimates and they where 3 and 4 thousand more then this guy. That’s why I reached out to BBC about the way he is wanting overlay this wood.
    Did you get written estimates from these roofers? Also is he going to use actual plywood instead of OSB? What thickness did he say he was going to put down? Don't assume anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast