How picky is United Airlines?

I haven't checked a bag in over 20 years, but I have a trip coming up where it will be necessary.

My large bag is 30x20x12, but if you add the wheels it is 31x20x12. According to the UA website that extra inch will cost me $200.

Does anyone have experience with something like this and know if they cut you any slack?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    If noticed, probably at the discretion of the person doing the checking. I once had an attendant tell me to zip close my expansion compartment on my bag or it would be considered oversize. Can you take the wheels off?

depends from what I have found. in the US they seem slack, but recently flew from London to Houston on United, they were checking everyone's bags, the trip over was Lufthansa and they did not check anyone's bag for dimensions.

course this was for Carry On's.
    Last edited by BMCD; 03-15-2024 at 01:43 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I just flew with them a couple of weeks ago. Checked in 3 bags, no issues and I don't think anyone has a bigger bag than my teenage daughter......

5. Member
    They only seem a stickler for weight

6. Member
    Thanks. I will look at the wheels. If they can come off easily I can try to check the bag and if they want to charge me for an oversized bag I can take them off right there. This will be a direct flight to Brazil so once I get past check-in I don’t have anything to worry about.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

7. Member
    Depends how crowded the flight is, and who is at the counter watching.

I have a carry on bag that supposedly the correct size per the labeling. There are times with various airlines I haven’t received a second look, other times they’ve made me check it, or they stored it somewhere else.

Alaska Air has a mockup your bag had to fit into, I swear it’s smaller than the allowed size. Mine never fits.

8. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have only been checked for weight on checked bags. I used to fly most weeks. I have had all kinds of checks on carry ones. They even weighed carry one in New Zealand.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

9. Member
    Never been checked on size..........only weight.

10. Member
    Tell them your bag may be overweight, but once a piece of the plane falls off the weight issue will be rectified.
    ________
    $8

11. Member
    Carryon bags, they are pretty serious about size. Checked bags, weight is their concern

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Tell them your bag may be overweight, but once a piece of the plane falls off the weight issue will be rectified.
    Jut make sure Boeing jet is being used.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

13. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Agent let me slide on an overweight bay a few hours ago in key west …. It all depends on how full your flight is. It’s spring break so I can imagine they’re gonna be strict
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

14. Member
    Pay attention to weight. I wouldn’t worry about height. The one exception is Frontier. If you ever fly Frontier, pay close attention to bag dimensions. They are inflexible, they warn you at booking and with reminders that their baggage policy is inflexible, yet it causes a lot of arguments at the gate because folks still don’t think rules apply to them.