Digital trim sender- another failure

Mercury 300xs
    serial number 1E052509

I have probably replaced my digital trim sender on this engine 2 times in the last 8 months. Maybe 5 times since new. It’s 10yrs old.

The most recent I installed about 2 months ago.

it has been working normally and out of nowhere, the readings spend most of the time on “0” or “25”. when running the numbers bounce all over as they do when I am changing the trim.

Probably have 10 hours on the sender.

Any idea on what could be causing repeated failures of these senders or where to begin troubleshooting cause? Feel like it has to be motor issue. Cant imagine having multiple defective senders??

Thanks in advance

MET
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

2. Member
    Same symptoms every time?? If so you need to check sensor wiring back to the harness and beyond. It could be chafed someplace and grounding intermittently. Also, take a ohm meter and test it through the trim range. I don't know specs off the top of my head but they are in the manual. If they are in spec with the meter then you definitely need to check wiring back to harness.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Also make sure the tri lobe pin is in place and the cross shaft has not shifted..
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Check for a missing cross shaft bushing on the starboard side.

5. Member
    I recently replaced mine (250 Pro XS) that was only a few months old. Unfortunately I didnt have the original packaging and couldnt warranty it. It was good for a while then the readings were constantly all over the place. The new one has been working flawlessly for about 10 trips now. I kept the packaging this time just in case. Fingers crossed.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Check for a missing cross shaft bushing on the starboard side.
    ^^^^ This.

Otdrzman: Mercury Parts & Accessories Warranty requires your RECEIPT as a Retail Purchaser. Does not require "packaging". You can file a claim through any authorized Mercury Dealer for a DEFECTIVE sensor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor