Thread: IONIC issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

IONIC issues

125ah IONIC powering 3 lowrance carbons, AT1, point 1, nmea2k, and used for cranking.

I purchased the battery after reading about how lithiums providing steady, constant/full power until they are dead. Mine doesn’t do that. It clearly drops voltage on my screen as I use the battery. It acts like a normal acid battery as the voltage is higher when fully charged and steadily decreases as battery is used. Yesterday my voltage on screen was 11.6 at times.

Also, my voltage “bounces around” constantly all day. Seems like it should be stready and very little variance according to what I read about lithiums. If my battery is fully charged it will read between 12.6-12.2, constantly bouncing. Yesterday i went fishing with my battery not fully charged and it was bouncing between 12.0-11.6

And…… the reason I went out with my battery not fully charged is because I’m trying to drain it down into sleep mode and reset it because my Bluetooth app quit reading the battery. I’ve read that if the battery is drained fully it will reset the bms and the app will work again.

Any help appreciated. I do have good marine tinned, 10 gauge dedicated wiring straight to the battery. It’s on its own fuse blocks and not tied to boat wiring.

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    what does the Bluetooth app show? do you have screen shots of the app fully charged? also whats voltage on the app when the graphs are showing 11.6
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    what does the Bluetooth app show? do you have screen shots of the app fully charged? also whats voltage on the app when the graphs are showing 11.6
    the app just doesn’t see a battery. I try to connect and it doesn’t read anything. It used to work fine up until a couple weeks ago. I’ve deleted app, shut down phone, restarted, no luck. I can’t read the voltage on app right now cause it won’t connect to battery. No screen shots of app, I’m reading voltage on carbon screens.
    I understand it can read low on the lowrance, but still, it varies/bounces all the time and definitely doesn’t maintain steady power and certainly has less voltage after a day of fishing. I try not to recharge after every fishing trip but I feel like I have to recharge more than normal since it doesn’t provide full power all the time. And I don’t have the app to check how much power is left.

4. Member
    With all that said, it still cranks fine and all units work fine. Hasn’t stranded me yet

5. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    contacted you by text
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    contacted you by text
    thank you

Also Lowrance is notorious for their voltage overlays being supsect, usually reading at least 1v low. Supposedly fixed with software updates, but I don't think they really fixed it. Not sure if updates go back to the Carbon model though.

8. Member
    If your battery dropped to 11.6 it would be deader than a door nail. Sounds more like a wiring issue to your graphs.

9. Member
    One of my ionic lost blue tooth, its just over 2 years old. I filled out the warranty form on their website and they sent me a shipping tag almost immediately. I shipped it today in fact.

10. Member
    I have seen this same behavior - voltage that drops steadily, and fluctuates constantly - but with a small Marcum 30aH battery used to power an HDS Live 9 in a small portable pack. So different brand Lithium, but maybe a similar failure mode...?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robm_mb View Post
    I have seen this same behavior - voltage that drops steadily, and fluctuates constantly - but with a small Marcum 30aH battery used to power an HDS Live 9 in a small portable pack. So different brand Lithium, but maybe a similar failure mode...?
    possibly…..it definitely drops steadily and fluctuates constantly. People always want to mention how the lowrance graphs don’t read proper voltage. I understand that they aren’t perfectly accurate. But they do show that there’s drop throughout the day and fluctuations.

btw…. I drained my battery all the way down today and put the battery in sleep mode. It’s now charging and the Bluetooth app is working again after resetting the bms

12. Member
    Did you have to do anything special, such as hooking another battery up to it, to get it charging again?

13. Member
    I don't think the app and the latest Android updates work together.

I have somehow found a kluge to get the Ionic app working on my S20.

1. Open the app.
    2. Select a battery. The app should display that battery's info.
    3. Close that battery.
    4. Turn "SOC" off then back on.

I get all four battery's displayed as normal doing this

1 - 125AH, 3 - 50AH.

This should hopefully work for you. It does for me. I just walked out to the laundry room and tried it.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    Did you have to do anything special, such as hooking another battery up to it, to get it charging again?
    no, just drained it completely and put it in sleep mode. Then hooked up my ionic charger and woke it up and charged it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fboro View Post
    possibly…..it definitely drops steadily and fluctuates constantly. People always want to mention how the lowrance graphs don’t read proper voltage. I understand that they aren’t perfectly accurate. But they do show that there’s drop throughout the day and fluctuations.

btw…. I drained my battery all the way down today and put the battery in sleep mode. It’s now charging and the Bluetooth app is working again after resetting the bms
    k

Never heard of that one, wish I would have tried that vs shipping mine in. I marked it so Ill see if they send the same one back.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahomee View Post
    k

Never heard of that one, wish I would have tried that vs shipping mine in. I marked it so Ill see if they send the same one back.
    From what I read, the batteries losing contact with the Bluetooth app is a very common issue. The easiest solution was to drain and then wake it back up. Not ideal, but I didn’t want to send it in especially since I have a few tournaments over the next few weeks.

17. Member
    Are you using a lithium battery charger?

18. Member
    On my Samsung phone the location keeps getting shut off at times and you have to go in and turn it back on.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassDom View Post
    Are you using a lithium battery charger?
    ionic charger

20. Member
    If you are using the terminal adapter pictured below sold by Ionic that is most likely your problem. The stainless steel post go into aluminum bar and they oxidize. Had to clean mine twice as I was getting voltage drop and very slow charging. the third time I had the issue i tossed the adaptors and put a blue sea busbar beside the battery mounted in the boat and ran a distribution cable to it form the battery and connected the outboard direct to the battery.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast