What outboard motor?

If all things were equal such as dealers in the area and cost which 250hp outboard would you put on a bass boat and why? Merc, Suzuki, or Yamaha

I Bleed black, but for a four stroke I lean strongly towards Yamaha. I would not touch a Suzuki, no dealers out here, to many issues and would kill resale value out here on a Bass boat. Mercury's price gouging and back orders is getting out of hand. Would not touch a Verado either.
    Hondas are too heavy and slow, very good motors but not suited for bass boats.
    I do feel Mercury has by far the best resale value at this time.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Although I think all three are very good, I would stick with Merc. Simple reason is that I have a great relationship with a fabulous Authorized Merc Service Centre.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Although I think all three are very good, I would stick with Merc. Simple reason is that I have a great relationship with a fabulous Authorized Merc Service Centre.
    That is huge in making the final decision!
    Thank You Leon Pugh

If I could buy another 250 XB then I'd do that but I can't so.

Suzuki Yamaha

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

6. Member
    No Suzuki shops here. Mercury or Yamaha. But would go with Mercury if repower. Don’t have to change all controls

7. Member
    I’m having a boat built so I’m trying to decide. I have a good dealer for all 3 close.

8. Member
    Yamaha on every boat unless its a bass boat. On a bass boat I'm ok with either an SHO or a ProXS.
    2020 Ford F150 Raptor (90,000 miles)
    2021 Nitro Z19 200 ProXS. Ultrex 112 Helix 12 helix 8

9. Member
    Pick your poison I think between Yamaha and Mercury. Both have had or will have issues, but both are also tried and true. I am leaning towards a Yamaha on my next one, but have had zero issues with my ProXS.

10. Member
    Yamaha SHO hands down, most reliable and you can flash it to a 300hp, Mercury would be 2nd.

11. #FRB
    I'd go Yamaha or Merc. The one that looked best with the color combo I chose for the boat would be the one I choose. That said, a Merc would have looked a lot better on my black boat but didn't have a choice.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

12. Member
    Depending how and where you fish, its a yamaha. Hands down. Price a lower unit for both. Then tell me which one you'd rather have. Guy i know bought a new mercury last year. Hit a small gravel pile. Wore the gears out of his lower even tho his prop had only a small knick in it. Progressive wouldnt pay because they said it was a mfg issue for the gears, not the hit. Long story short he was gonna have to buy a new lower for the merc out of pocket. Once he saw the price, he traded it in for a yamaha this year. Only had the merc one season. That being said if money is no issue id still stick with those 2 brands.

13. Member
    Progressive has a reputation for fighting boat motor claims. The main Mercury mechanic in central Mississippi tells people to stay away from Progressive.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    I got your PM and tried to respond (unable to), anyway I agree with you 100%, dealing with them is great, top notch service !

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Faststreak View Post
    Progressive has a reputation for fighting boat motor claims. The main Mercury mechanic in central Mississippi tells people to stay away from Progressive.
    Yup. My mechanic says the same.

16. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Yamaha would be my first choice and Mercury my second.