Yankee Troller

SOLIX Ethernet/Network issue

This problem started happening on 4.190. I updated (in hopes of fixing this) to 4.210 yesterday and the problem persists. Pictures attached.

My one SOLIX 12 keeps dropping out of the network. Here's what I've done:

• I have two of the new network boxes. I've swapped boxes and it did not solve the issue. Green lights are blinking. - problem persists
    • I have changed out Ethernet wires - problem persists
    • Boat is on shore power and the displays are showing 12.7-12.8volts

Attached Images Attached Images
    Captain Richard Hajecki

Humminbird: (2) SOLIX 12 G3, (3) SOLIX 10 G3, CHIRP Radar, MEGA Live, Lakemaster VX, (2) Eth 5PGL, GPS HS

2. Member
    I had this problem. Units would show then not show. Dealer checked everything. Humminbird thought it was hub, dealer cross checked that. They were all set to send both locators back but decided to talk to their Humminbird tec guy one more time. He said last thing to try was delete waypoints. They didn't think it was that at first as I had less than 50 waypoints. dealer deleted waypoints and everything worked. I wish I had put them back in though as there were a couple that were important to me. I found out later that you can reinstall them and the bad ones won't reload.
    It's a simple thing to try. Download them to a disk then delete from locator. If it works, you know that was it, if still doesn't work, just load them back in.

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Here are some detailed instructions I put together on how to deal with corrupt NAV Data:

Solix are prone to NAV data corruptions which can cause strange side effects (loss of network, loss of gps, intermittent sonar issues, touch screen issues, etc). This will usually fix the issues.

1. With all other units off, save your NAV data using the "Files" utility on the home screen.
    2. Save your settings using the "Files" utility on the home screen.
    3. Perform a NAV Data Reset.
    4. Perform a Restore Factory Defaults.
    5. Turn unit off.
    6. Repeat steps 1 - 5 for each unit on your network, with only that one unit turned on. You could do just steps 3 - 5 for all units after the first, but I like to have the extra backups on separate cards for safety purposes.
    7. Boot the control head which you want to be your "Master" (if you are on a version prior to 4.190... 4.190 and beyond removes the Master & Sync requirement) and do the initial setup or load your settings file using the Files utility on the Home Screen.
    8. Boot all other networked control heads.
    9. Sync the network (on versions prior to 4.190).
    10. Load your NAV data to the "Master" unit using the Files utility on the Home Screen... it will be automatically copied to all other units on the network.
    11. Redo any custom views on each unit.
    12. Redo Data Overlays on each unit.
    13. Set up your Favorite Views side bars.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Yankee Troller
    Thanks guys, I will delete my waypoints in my units and see if this helps. The waypoints don't mean much to me after a few hours/or a day anyway since I'm chasing pelagic fish on lake Ontario.
    Captain Richard Hajecki

Humminbird: (2) SOLIX 12 G3, (3) SOLIX 10 G3, CHIRP Radar, MEGA Live, Lakemaster VX, (2) Eth 5PGL, GPS HS

5. Member
    Thanks' for your reply Doggie.
    Ranger, I'm not saying that's what is wrong in your case, but your description sounded familiar to mine, and testing it is simple and sort of a no harm no foul thing. When I first described my problem to Humminbird they didn't think waypoints were my problem as I had so few, so they dismissed it. But after taking the boat to the dealer, and them spending over two hours cross checking all the connections, updating all the softwares, there was nothing else left to try except the waypoints. The mechanic and I were dumbfounded when he deleted them out and everything was stable on the networking end. Really hope this helps, it's simple enough to try.

6. Member
    So Doggie, is it reasonably true that after backing up your waypoints, then deleting them, you can reload them, and the bad ones will not reload?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musky/ed View Post
    So Doggie, is it reasonably true that after backing up your waypoints, then deleting them, you can reload them, and the bad ones will not reload?
    Not SLYDoggie, but that sometimes works but not always. Corruption can also occur in the Nav Directory where the data resides. The data is ok but the Directory becomes corrupt due to "memory leaks" or other issues. This can also cause issues. You can "reset/format" that directory and re-import your data and that sometimes works. If the data is corrupt, then issues can still occur.

I use a programming software that I have adapted for Solix units to find any corrupt data. It only takes a couple of minutes to do.

Another method is to use, which I don't necessarily recommend is to use HumminbirdPC. IF and this is BIG IF, you ONLY open a Solix/Apex file then ONLY save the file as gpx it will usually remove any corrupt data. You CANNOT do any actual editing or it will change the structure of any waypoints you edit. This can cause your symbols to change and other issues.
    When you open a Solix/Apex file in HumminbirdPC it AUTOMATICALLY adds Helix code to every waypoint and track.
    As an example, I have a Solix/Apex file that has 548 Waypoints, 11 Tracks, and 51,566 TrackPoints across those tracks. There are 321,209 Lines of code in that file. Opening that file in HumminbirdPC and doing nothing else but re-saving the file adds Helix code to everything. The file now has 581,808 lines of code. This can slow your units up. Although, the Solix will "ignore" all code that is not Solix but it still has to go through all of the code just to use the Solix code.

P.M. Sent
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by musky/ed View Post
    Yes, corrupt nav data won't be reloaded, but as Musky/Ed stated, there could be other issues as well.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

9. Yankee Troller
    Deleted all waypoints, tracks, and routes on all 3 units individually. Fired them up and problem solved. Thanks guys.
    Captain Richard Hajecki

10. Member
    That's great to hear.
    And also thanks Ranger, Some really great folks on this forum.
    Last edited by musky/ed; 03-13-2024 at 04:43 PM.

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Excellent!