Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Ranking Boats Premium to Budget

Okay. Odd question. I'm sorta dreaming about buying a used boat. Something in the $30,000-$40,000 range from 2005-2015. I don't know the smaller brands all that well in terms of who uses the highest quality components and does the nicest prep work (by that I mean wiring that isn't a big ball of clusterfudge).

Could you rank 'em? I know much of this will be subjective, but I'm curious like say...is Falcon a budget brand or a premium? Stratos? Blazer?

I imagine Ikon is the number 1 premium. But is Skeeter like a step-up Nitro or a step down Basscat? I'm sort of clueless, and I'm not sure that premium is what I want...I'm looking at value though. So same price on a compatible Basscat and Gambler which is the "nicer" boat? I don't care about speed even a little bit. I know manufacturers change ownership and close down. I don't really care much about that either.

Basscat, Ranger, Nitro, Stratos, Gambler, Bullet, Allison, Charger, Skeeter, Phoenix, Ikon, Champion, Titon, Vexus, Astro, Caymas, Blazer, Legend....whatever else I'm missing. Would love some perspective.

iKon, Vexus, and Caymus…didn’t exist in your time frame. Among the rest, they all are good boats. Allison and Bullet are the two go fast in your list. All the rest are great boats, and will be priced accordingly. When shopping used, condition is going to be everything, it tells you how a boat has been kept and maintained. Is a beat up boat of a so called premium brand better than a super clean mid tier? I don’t think so. Figure out what you like/want in a boat, it will make your shopping much easier.

3. Member
    I don't include Ikon as I have never seen one. Also only listing those still being manufactured.
    Tier 1: Vexus, BassCat, Ranger, Skeeter, Bullet, Allison
    Tier 2: Triton, Charger, Caymas, Phoenix
    Tier 3: Blazer, Nitro, Falcon

4. Member
    I'm so excited about this. Thank you, Dean and Printman. I love the tier system for clarity. It's perfect.

And yeah, some of these boats didn't exist back then, but it's okay to include them. Maybe some day I'll hit the lottery. :)

I was curious about Caymas. Had no idea if they were like Vexus or more like Nitro. And EVERY manufacturers website makes the boats seem like the Rolls Royce of bassboating.

5. Member
    I honestly don’t know enough about boat manufacturing and the different brands to have a valid opinion. Just predicting some tears are coming lol
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

6. Member
    For the years you listed I would rank Ranger Phoenix Triton on the same level. Pick based on price, location, layout etc. I dont like Skeeter too much hull slap. Nitro fiberglass is terribly weak and thin avoid at all costs.

I would want a 4 stroke so Id be looking for a Sho powered boat or re powered boat.

7. Member
    Top of the line performance hulls- Blazer, Gambler, Champion, Legend, Allison, Bullet, Charger

Slightly lower grade boats that still perform great (and the quality is still there)- Triton, Basscat, Phoenix, Falcon, Stratos, Skeeter

Bottom grade for performance- Ranger (best quality in this category), Nitro, Procraft, Astro

For engines I would look for one that has a Mercury 3.0 EFI, Mercury Pro XS Optimax, or a Yamaha SHO, and most importantly don't get a boat that is underpowered, always get the max hp that the boat is rated for. You can get a nice boat in that price range for sure. I paid less than that for my 2012 Triton 19XS with a 225 Pro XS on it that I just got a few months ago.
    Last edited by bassfisher444; 03-10-2024 at 10:45 PM.

8. Member
    Excellent advice. Thank you for the bonus advice. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Top of the line performance hulls- Blazer, Gambler, Champion, Legend, Allison, Bullet

Slightly lower grade boats that still perform great (and the quality is still there)- Triton, Basscat, Phoenix, Falcon, Stratos, Skeeter

Bottom grade for performance- Ranger (best quality in this category), Nitro, Procraft.

For engines I would look for one that has a Mercury 3.0 EFI, Mercury Pro XS Optimax, or a Yamaha SHO, and most importantly don't get a boat that is underpowered, always get the max hp that the boat is rated for. You can get a nice boat in that price range for sure. I paid less than that for my 2012 Triton 19XS with a 225 Pro XS on it that I just got a few months ago.
    Champ and Legend do not belong where you have them IMHO. All those others are known speedsters. Champ and a legend are both long gone now as well. Champion was known as one of the best riding boats and it does have a cult like following because of it. By today’s standards most of their boats are narrow and tippy at rest and tend to sit nose high. The original Legends were just a tweaked version of the Cobra/Hawk boats until they came out with their own design. All around nice boats from what I saw.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John B. View Post
    Champ and Legend do not belong where you have them IMHO. All those others are known speedsters. Champ and a legend are both long gone now as well. Champion was known as one of the best riding boats and it does have a cult like following because of it. By today’s standards most of their boats are narrow and tippy at rest and tend to sit nose high. The original Legends were just a tweaked version of the Cobra/Hawk boats until they came out with their own design. All around nice boats from what I saw.
    He said 2005-2015 not right now. Champion is up there for the ride, Legend for the speed although Stratos and Triton could be right there with it or better depending on the model. I would say Legend quality is better though that's why I put them in the top, they are also more expensive when you find one.

11. Member
    The Rangers from those years are pretty nice but not the fastest things on the water.

Oh I know what he said but there is more to bass boat performance than speed and ride. Stability as a fishing platform, how does it maneuver on the TM, how flat does it sit, adequate storage and layout, etc etc.. Everyone’s priorities are different and that is what he needs to sit down and decide or he will be disappointed. Not to mention the headaches that come with owning a boat that is a decade old with no parts support. Been there myself with Cobra and was lucky but when things break or wear out you really are on your own and tracking down replacement parts can be difficult. I would say the same goes for Stratos and Procraft. If you are handy and don’t mind doing leg work go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    The Rangers from those years are pretty nice but not the fastest things on the water.
    I loved my 2013 Z521 and it would do 70 loaded no problem. It was a very well built boat and served me well.

14. Member
    From 2005 to 2015. Ranger or skeeter best boats.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cg2fish View Post
    From 2005 to 2015. Ranger or skeeter best boats.
    They aren't bad but I certainly wouldn’t say they are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    They aren't bad but I certainly wouldn’t say they are the best.
    How many Rangers and Skeeters have you owned from that era?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    How many Rangers and Skeeters have you owned from that era?
    How many Bullets and Gamblers have you owned from that era?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    I don't include Ikon as I have never seen one. Also only listing those still being manufactured.
    Tier 1: Vexus, BassCat, Ranger, Skeeter, Bullet, Allison
    Tier 2: Triton, Charger, Caymas, Phoenix
    Tier 3: Blazer, Nitro, Falcon
    Skeeter is far from a tier 1 and Vexus didn't exits in the year range the op asked about.

19. Member
    You’re going to get tons of different opinions on this. For the years you’re looking at I would be looking for something with a Yamaha sho on it, preferably a skeeter, but I’m a skeeter fan, so of course I’d say that. My skeeter sure seems top tier to me.

20. Member
    I owned a 1997 Skeeter ZX185c with a ProV Yamaha. Had a four blade prop and would “only” do mid 50 mph. Never ever a problem for me. I would like a boat that was well put-together. I’d like as wide a deck as possible. I’d like a great deal. That’s what I’m looking for.

I’m in the research phase and I want to know what I’m looking for. I live in rural Oregon, so I can’t sit in a bunch of used bass boats. There aren’t any here. So I’m left with my friends on the internet. Thank you, friends.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast