200 Sho break in

I have heard some controversy on break in.
    Are people not breaking them in correctly? Is that why they’re making oil.
    I am going to do it by the book, but I was just wanting some input

2. Member
    The SHO's and certain other Yam models use a flame sprayed cylinder liner. Seems to be somewhat problematic in getting the piston rings to seat.

Many different opinions on break in. From following the Yam owner's manual to using the Mercury Marine four stroke break in schedule.

Then too there are opinions as to what type of oil to be using for the break in period.

3. Member
    I followed the instructions in the manual. As soon as complete, I took it to Lake Truman and ran the snot out of it for almost 100 miles. No issue with making oil. 2020 200 SHO on ZX200 Skeeter.

4. Member
    After the first two hours? Or the first 10?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    I followed the instructions in the manual. As soon as complete, I took it to Lake Truman and ran the snot out of it for almost 100 miles. No issue with making oil. 2020 200 SHO on ZX200 Skeeter.
    After the first 2 hours. Or after the first 10?

6. Member
    More than 2. Less than 10. Probably 4 or 5, just fishing, before I had time run almost flat out for 2 hours.

When I took it in for twenty hour, my service manager told me that tucking the trim under and running hard so you load on the motor for 1/2 hour would have done the same thing. Just need to seat the rings.

That's a beast of a motor on a 19'-5 boat. I've got 68.3 GPS, heavy, with no messing about. I've ran ZX200's since 2002 so just eyeballed setup and went fishing. I ain't one of those guys that runs flat out all the time. Even in tournaments, I usually run about 55 at 4500 RPM's after the initial melee at take off.

You won't see me spending $100's dollars to brag I picked up 2 MPH.

7. Member
    I followed the Yamaha procedure exactly as spec'd for 10 hrs. Then I took it to the Mississippi and ran it wide open for 10 more. It makes no oil and runs great. 2022 vs250lb SHO.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane s View Post
    I have heard some controversy on break in.
    Are people not breaking them in correctly? Is that why they’re making oil.
    I am going to do it by the book, but I was just wanting some input
    Mercury Marine four stroke break in schedule for me! Worked perfectly for me. Didn't make any oil on my 250 SHO. Previous SHO I followed the Yamaha break in procedure and I was battling oil making problems!

9. Member
    I just completed 10 hr break in and went by the book. Popped the hood this morning and my oil level is 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches above the full level hole on dipstick! Soooo now what? My dealer said Yamaha says it`s ok to run it overfull is that right?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterBill200 View Post
    I just completed 10 hr break in and went by the book. Popped the hood this morning and my oil level is 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches above the full level hole on dipstick! Soooo now what? My dealer said Yamaha says it`s ok to run it overfull is that right?
    I had this EXACT thing happen on the first SHO I had. I broke it in using The Yamaha break in procedure. I sucked out the extra oil via the dip stick tube until oil was again between the low and high marks on the dip stick (where it is supposed to be). I then ran it hard on the biggest lake in my area to get the block hot enough for long enough to seat the rings! I got it to stop eventually. Lesson I learned was for the next 2 SHO motors I have had I used Mercury 4 stroke break in procedure and never made a drop out off either of them! They need to be run harder them Yamaha recommends for a proper break in!

11. Member
    I seriously doubt that is what Yamaha said.

Yamaha says to keep the oil level between the min line and the max line.

In your case several ways to get there. Drain all of the oil and refill. Or just suction out what is needed to get the oil level to where it needs to be. I would do the latter.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    I seriously doubt that is what Yamaha said.

Yamaha says to keep the oil level between the min line and the max line.

In your case several ways to get there. Drain all of the oil and refill. Or just suction out what is needed to get the oil level to where it needs to be. I would do the latter.
    Doing the later leaves you with the proper amount of oil but the problem with it is it's diluted with fuel. This can cause wear issues on bearings and rings. Its best to drain and refill with fresh oil.

13. Member
    Thanks for these suggestions I will call customer the dealer tomorrow and see what they say but I will do one of these suggestions for sure cause this can`t right!!

14. Member
    Throw Yamaha's book as far away as you can regarding the break in as is obvious with all of the rings not seating. Change the oil and put premium fuel in it. Take it somewhere you can run it hard for miles. But please warm it up BEFORE you run the piss out of it! If you are not comfortable running it hard for long distances trimmed up, then put a lower pitch prop on it and trim it till you get above 5500 rpms at wot to keep your speed down and still run wot. Closer to 6000 rpms would be better. You need to get heat and pressure on the rings for them to seat. Running a engine just above idle is NOT a good way to do it! CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

15. Member
    Called customer service yesterday and on recorded conversation he stated to { bring oil thats in base to proper level make sure that my prop will allow engine to reach 6000 rpm and find an area that I can run it like I stole it for at least 1/2 hour at a time and repeat until >>>>>> seated rings.} So I removed some oil with pump, replaced 26 Tempest which it would turn 5850 and put on 25M to spin and heat it up!

16. Member
    I bought a new 250 SHO last fall. The dealer told me to break it in a little bit differently than Yamaha recommends. After 10 hrs, I thought I had run it hard enough to seat the rings. Upon checking, my oil level was about 2" above the top hole. I took it in and they changed the oil. Dealer told me to take it down to the nearby ramp and run it wide open to a bridge up the lake and back. I did that two times, running at 6000 rpm and 145 degrees engine temperature. I ran it like that for an hour and it seated the rings. It's been fine since.

17. Member
    Called customer service yesterday and on recorded conversation he stated to { bring oil thats in base to proper level make sure that my prop will allow engine to reach 6000 rpm and find an area that I can run it like I stole it for at least 1/2 hour at a time and repeat until >>>>>> seated rings.} So I removed some oil with pump, replaced 26 Tempest which it would turn 5850 and put on 25M to spin and heat it up!
    Huh, imagine that. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

18. Member
    I gave up on running synthetic oil in my SHO, went with conventional Yamaha oil and problem solved.

19. Member
    Well I took it for a spin today put the hot foot on the floor left it there trimmed up ran it, had to trim down for wave action but left it floored in two half hour intervals got up to 145 degrees while running no extra oil on dipstick

20. Member
    I guess I gut lucky with my advice...LOL