Thread: Trailer Winch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer Winch

I have a 1995 17 ft Ranger bass boat on a Ranger Trail trailer. I am 73 yrs old, and its getting difficult to winch the boat onto the trailer. The current winch has a 4.1 to 1 gear ratio. Does anyone have any experience using a 2 speed winch that can be purchased on Amazon for about $70? They are made in China , and rated for 3500 lbs, and have both 4.1 and 8.1 gear ratios. I am thinking the 8.1 gear ratio would help a lot, but I am wondering if the quality and strength of the winch is acceptable for a 17 ft boat? Thanks.

2. Member
    Can't speak for that particular one, but I have the Fulton 2 speed 3200 lb (I think) and it pulls the boat easily for times when I can't power the boat all the way to the roller.
    Last edited by mikeky; 03-09-2024 at 11:06 AM.

3. Member
    I can't attest to the quality or lack thereof for the cheap Chinese 2-speed winches but after breaking two winch straps on my new Vexus VX20 last spring. I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade both my winch and the winch strap. I looked at many different 2-speed winches on Amazon and at the OEM winch manufacturer's site and finally settled on the Fulton F2 2-speed winch that is rated for 3,200# and I upgraded to a CustomTieDown.com winch strap rated to 10K pounds and I've had no difficulties retrieving the VX20 when I am fishing the three electric-only flowages I prefer to fish when I am not fishing on Chequamegon Bay.

Unfortunately, the Fulton F2 is a premium product, and it costs far more than the $70 of the Chinese "cheapies", but from my perspective, the sheer ease of winching the VX20 in (I've yet to need to go to low gear since the high gear is so good on this winch) is well worth the cost of the Fulton F2 2-speed winch.

Good luck on finding a winch that suits your needs sir!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

4. Member
    Fulton F2 2 speed winch is the way to go. I am 73 and I can crank my Ranger on the trailer easily with one hand.

5. Member
    I put a Fulton 142415 2600# on midseason. Works great, but it's twice your budget$. I did have to modify/enlarge the factory perch with some welded angle.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

6. Member
    Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to see if a Fulton winch will fit my trailer without additional modification.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Ranger View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to see if a Fulton winch will fit my trailer without additional modification.
    The key will be if you have enough room for the Fulton F2, its a large winch, and if your current winch stand has a three-slot "industry standard" setup sir. Good luck!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

8. Member
    I used the cheap 2 speed winch for my 5000 lb ocean boat and it worked OK. This wasn't recently.

9. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    I put a Fulton LXT 2 speed on my trailer.. Very happy with the result. Thumb and forefinger is all that is needed for cranking the boat up.

I did have to do some rework of the winch stand. It did cost more than $70 but well worth it.
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

10. Member
    Before you spend any money, try oiling the winch, theres alot of moving parts that should be oiled, it may work better for you.

I oil mine once a year, it really helps a lot.
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

11. Member
    I have a Fulton 2 speed winch on my boat. The low speed drive gear split and it only has high speed functions. I tried to buy a replacement gear but it seems Fulton no longer is made in the U. S.
    If any of you buy a new Fulton 2 speed let me know where it's made.

12. Member
    Anybody ever place one on a newer (18) Ranger trail trailer ? Working with a 20ft bass boat?
    Getting tough getting this thing on the trailer right.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerTim619 View Post
    I put a Fulton LXT 2 speed on my trailer.. Very happy with the result. Thumb and forefinger is all that is needed for cranking the boat up.

I did have to do some rework of the winch stand. It did cost more than $70 but well worth it.
    I purchased a Fulton 2600 lb 2 speed winch. It is a high quality winch, but it is too large to fit on my trailer. I returned it and I am now looking for a smaller 2 speed winch that is shorter in length.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I have a Fulton 2 speed winch on my boat. The low speed drive gear split and it only has high speed functions. I tried to buy a replacement gear but it seems Fulton no longer is made in the U. S.
    If any of you buy a new Fulton 2 speed let me know where it's made.
    The Fulton 2 speed 2600 lb winch that I purchased was made in China. But it didn't look cheap at all. It was built like a tank. Unfortunately, it would not fit my trailer.

15. Member
    The other 2-speed winch I looked at for my VX20 was from Dutton-Lainson, they were very responsive to my inquires, and I believe their 2-speed winch might be smaller with a shorter arm/throw.

Here's the link to their website, I hope they can help you out sir!

D/L Winch Link: Pulling Winches | Dutton-Lainson Company

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Mud View Post
    Before you spend any money, try oiling the winch, theres alot of moving parts that should be oiled, it may work better for you.

I oil mine once a year, it really helps a lot.
    I took your advice and oiled the shafts and greased the gear teeth on my current winch, that is 29 years old and came with my 1995 Ranger boat. It is made by Shelby, which is no longer in business. The winch is not worn at all and looks very good. I haven't tried it since I lubricated it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    The other 2-speed winch I looked at for my VX20 was from Dutton-Lainson, they were very responsive to my inquires, and I believe their 2-speed winch might be smaller with a shorter arm/throw.

Here's the link to their website, I hope they can help you out sir!

D/L Winch Link: Pulling Winches | Dutton-Lainson Company
    Thanks. I am still looking at their winches to see if I can find one that will work for my trailer. One thing I don't like about their winch is the quick change handle, which barely holds the handle on the shaft. They don't use a lock nut for the handle, its just a weak spring loaded catch. The handle is very loose on the shaft when it is installed according to some online videos. There are numerous complaints about these handles falling off the winch when the boat is trailered. Apparently, the vibration and bumps on the road will cause the release bracket to let go.

18. Member
    Hmm, that's very interesting, I haven't had any issues with the D/L winches that came with my Vexus boats other than the DLA1500 and its winch strap being woefully inadequate for my VX20, but if there are numerous complaints about the D/L winches then I imagine you will need to find a different winch brand to fit your needs.

Good luck with your winch search sir!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Ranger View Post
    I have a 1995 17 ft Ranger bass boat on a Ranger Trail trailer. I am 73 yrs old, and its getting difficult to winch the boat onto the trailer. The current winch has a 4.1 to 1 gear ratio. Does anyone have any experience using a 2 speed winch that can be purchased on Amazon for about $70? They are made in China , and rated for 3500 lbs, and have both 4.1 and 8.1 gear ratios. I am thinking the 8.1 gear ratio would help a lot, but I am wondering if the quality and strength of the winch is acceptable for a 17 ft boat? Thanks.

Do you have room to put a longer cranking arm on the winch? If you do extending it would be really easy.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
    Do you have room to put a longer cranking arm on the winch? If you do extending it would be really easy.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have a 8.5 inch crank on it now. I could probably have clearance for a 10 inch crank arm, but that would only provide a 17% reduction in cranking force. My body is telling me that I probably need to reduce the force by a factor of at least 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast