Thread: 1976 Silverado

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Is it a 4x4? Those older tricks with straight axles are better than new trucks IMO. Pickups peaked in the 80s.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

2. Member
    Just dump some fresh gas in it and go. Lol

I’m kidding of course.

I get old cars like this all the time. It is WAY less expensive and safer to rent a car hauling trailer.

3. Member
    Definitely, for safety, bring a trailer to get her home. I had a ‘77 Chevrolet Bonanza when I was in high school. My brother bought a new Silverado in ‘84 so I got his old one. Man that thing had some power and yes ice-cold air. It was all original except for the Pioneer cassette deck he and I installed. Good times.

4. Member
    My first truck was a 75 Silverado, a tough truck. Loved that big bench seat, it became our traveling vehicle. Then I had a 84 K5 would like to have either one of them back.
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

5. Member
    The brake and fuel system, lines, calipers, wheel cylinders, fuel tank and fill hose etc. will all need service or repair before being road safe. Then the inner rockers, floor boards, spring and body and shock mounts etc.

6. Member
    Like others have said, I would trailer it. Those were great trucks back in the day.

I still remember going with my dad in 1977 to pick up his new C10 Silverado "heavy half" with a 454, Turbo 400 and 3.73 rear end. It was "loaded" for the time with A/C, tilt wheel and ps/pb. That was a great truck and at the time was one of the if not the fastest vehicles made in '77.

I love the new trucks but those old square bodies still have a special place in my heart. I like what some of these custom shops are doing by resto modding the old square bodies with modern drivetrains and creature comforts while maintaining that classic style.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

7. Member
    You trailer baby guys are a mess,guess
    you never watch ol vice grip.

8. Member
    Another vote for bring a trailer. Ideally one with a winch, then you don't have to do anything to the truck till you get it home.

On towing your boat, yes the old 350, although down on horsepower compared to today's standards, will get the job done. However....even back in those days they were trying to be fuel efficient with high gears (low numerically) in the rear. I have a 76 K10 with 3.08 gears and it is pretty gutless taking off. For off roading 4 low is a must. I would keep the Tahoe for towing unless the 76 has a lower gear (higher numerically) in the rear.
    Last edited by rednecktech; 03-09-2024 at 09:39 PM.

I would drive it. Not much to go wrong on those trucks. Vice Grip Garage style https://www.youtube.com/@ViceGripGarage
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

10. Member
    That would be a trailer move for myself.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hulapopr View Post
    Kinda like the harley guys that tow their bike everywhere instead of riding it.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

12. Member
    Rent a haul trailer
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Those older tricks with straight axles are better than new trucks IMO. Pickups peaked in the 80s.
    ??? In what regard are they better; surely not in reliability and body integrity over time. I’ve driven pickups since the 1960s, and it was next to impossible to keep one going for 10 years or 100k miles without substantial maintenance and repair. Every lot in our area now has 100k pickups that look and drive like new. The body metal was thicker 50 years ago, no doubt, but pickups of that area rusted like crazy within 5-10 years if they were daily driven. Easier to work on? Yes. Better? Not a chance.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hulapopr View Post
    I watch him stop along the road and do repairs in parking lots 6-10 times on the way home. He also, off the camera, often has a vehicle following him to go for parts, etc. I like old Derek, but what you see on tv isn’t entirely what you and I would experience in trying to bring those “rescues” home.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Is it a 4x4? Those older tricks with straight axles are better than new trucks IMO. Pickups peaked in the 80s.
    The late 70s 80s trucks and cars were so smogged down. Good truck if you change the engine. My 85 F250 with a 460 in it one had like 160 hp

Quote Originally Posted by senkoboy View Post
    I'd get a trailer.

100%

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbass123 View Post
    I watch him stop along the road and do repairs in parking lots 6-10 times on the way home. He also, off the camera, often has a vehicle following him to go for parts, etc. I like old Derek, but what you see on tv isn’t entirely what you and I would experience in trying to bring those “rescues” home.

You ain't seen some of the sht I've done.

18. Member
    I just sold a 78 model. To my nephew for 200$. It was in bad shape and had not been started in 20 years. He came and got it and on a week he was driving it ! Sent me a video of it running. I would have bet that the engine was ruined but he soaked the cylinders and it runs great. It was my dad’s old truck and he being his grandson I cut down trees and cleaned around it so he could get to it. He lives in Olive Branch Ms. so it’s riding around the Memphis area. I was just glad he did something with it.

19. Member
    Forgot to mention I do have a 1987 350 fuel injection C-10 under a cover that I will restore if I live long enough to ever get started on it. In final stages of getting a 67 SS Chevelle back on the frame now. I just piddle on it as I feel like it so might be the end of the summer before I get that finished. Will do a frame off on it also.

20. Member
    I had a '72, wish I still had it!
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast