Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    HS: Went to a Vo-tech school for electronics. Graduated at 17 yo.
    DeVry: BSEET degree in electronics. Graduated at 20 yo.

Got a job with a semiconductor equipment manufacturer through on campus recruiting at DeVry. Worked a little over 40 years for the same company then retired at 61 yo two years ago.

I’ve seen posts here ragging about DeVry but it worked out for me. Made a good amount of money over the 40 years I worked.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 59tomitriton View Post
    Did you graduate? Yes to both HS and college
    Did it matter? Yes it mattered to me.
    Glad they didn’t have fishing in schools back then or I might have went down a different path
    lol i think it would of motivated me to go to college and stick with it

3. Member
    Well, I wouldn't have my current job without my college degrees...so, yes.
    Last edited by janky; 03-08-2024 at 11:16 AM.
    ________
    $8

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Another thread got me thinking about this question. One of my biggest regrets in life is not graduating high school. I could have taken a few corespondents courses and got my diploma but never did.
    I spent 20 years working for a utility and now vested in a retirement plan that will pay me for the rest of my life starting in a few years. I didn't need a diploma or even a college education to do the trade. So that brings me to the question.
    My brother went to college and now sells used cars. I went to work.

Did you graduate? Did it matter?
    Why don't you take some classes now and erase that regret? It's never too late.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Another thread got me thinking about this question. One of my biggest regrets in life is not graduating high school. I could have taken a few corespondents courses and got my diploma but never did.
    I spent 20 years working for a utility and now vested in a retirement plan that will pay me for the rest of my life starting in a few years. I didn't need a diploma or even a college education to do the trade. So that brings me to the question.
    My brother went to college and now sells used cars. I went to work.

Did you graduate? Did it matter?
    Yes to going all the way to getting a PhD. The downside is that I didn’t begin to earn a salary until I was 29 but in the long run it worked out far better than I ever dreamed of. And congratulations on what you’ve achieved without a HS diploma, I suspect you’ve done better than 90+% in your situation. My father never graduated from HS and did well but that was a very different era.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Yes to going all the way to getting a PhD. The downside is that I didn’t begin to earn a salary until I was 29 but in the long run it worked out far better than I ever dreamed of. And congratulations on what you’ve achieved without a HS diploma, I suspect you’ve done better than 90+% in your situation. My father never graduated from HS and did well but that was a very different era.
    I preach to these young kids i get to work with to go to school, get all you can!! will be over with before you know it and you will be set! They want now now now..

My co workers daughter got her masters at 23, shes working for the New England Patriots now as a journalist(something like that). He showed me a picture of her name on the jumbo screen at the field the first day she went to work. It said "Welcome- Her name" gave me chills ha. Pretty neat, know hes a proud dad

7. Member
    I graduated high school in 56. Bounced around job to job. I Went to work in a body shop where we were the first to repair Corvettes In my town. I applied for and got a job in the space industry, because of my fiber glass and resin knowledge I got hired and found out quick that I needed to brush up on my math, so I took night courses in math and chemistry at the junior college. Junior College was as far as I went. Them were the slide rule days.

8. Member
    I am a school superintendent and am always surprised to see those that did not graduate high school. It tells me that we are failing our students. Funny thing is that I was not a great high school student (more interested in fishing!) I went to community college and then to a 4 year college. Now some 30 odd years later I have 3 masters degrees and I would not be where I am without those degrees.
    Last edited by GClark519; 03-08-2024 at 12:21 PM.

I think everyone has show on this thread. It’s not really the degree or a HS diploma. Ones Will to succeed is the most important factor. Then doing what is required to make it happen.
    My oldest son has a masters in nuclear engineering and works for the US navy. He teaches military staff how to run submarines.
    Youngest Son hated school and if not for the Tech school. He would have dropped out. He was hired right out of high school as a welder for HCR racing. He started building suspension components. Now he has started his own LLC mobil welding business. Both very successful but took completely different paths to achieve the goal.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

10. Member
    I got kicked out of high school my senior year but was allowed to take finals and get my diploma and I was already accepted to college. I got my BS from college and went to work. Ended up starting a business which turned into several and a Chevrolet and Buick dealership and a New Holland dealership. Sold everything after a divorce and took a job with Boeing who paid the costs of taking college courses. I ended up with degrees in engineering, business and physiology, more for fun but I'm sure they helped me in my close to 40 years with Boeing. Ended up with a fantastic pension and way more in a 401K than I will use in this lifetime.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GClark519 View Post
    I am a school superintendent and am always surprised to see those that did not graduate high school. It tell me that we are failing our students. Funny thing is that I was not a great high school student (more interested in fishing!) I went to community college and then to a 4 year college. Now some 30 odd years later I have 3 masters degrees and I would not be where I am without those degrees.
    I pray for our school systems.. ours here in NC are in bad shape. God bless you, got a couple teachers coming your way soon. We just got a new nominee for the GOP, home school mom who calls public school systems indoctrination centers.. im pulling for her

12. Member
    Didn’t care for high school. Got my diploma but didn’t go to graduation or either prom. Tried college. Wasn’t for me.

Yes. Graduated with an over all 3.83 gpa. Looking back, should have applied myself more and got Valedictorian. Didn’t give a rats about that stuff then. Did do a semester at NIT for computer processing and programming. Too hard to do that and work 40+ hrs a week at Asplundh Tree co. Wore me out. Got my State certification in welding in high school and it never helped occupationally until 2001 when my plant had a massive lay off and I went to work Boiler making. I found out real quick State cert’s doesn’t mean anything to them. Had to take their 6G test, passed it. Few months later got called back to my plant. Other than doing work for others and myself the welding wasn’t a career or game changer. Asplundh tree co from 1985-1994. A Chemical plant worker since 1994- present. Yes, I would push to graduate highschool, but in all truth, it’s all in the training. I went to school with guys/friends that had to quit school early for reasons and have done just fine.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

14. Member
    High school, yes near the top of my class
    College, no i left after a semester. It was not for me.
    Did it matter? Not in my opinion. Spent the last 30 years in the IT field as a systems and networking engineer and management. I have had a very good career. I do not for a second believe that a piece of paper from a university has any bearing on earning potential. Me and my sister are living proof of that. Like me she dropped out of college after less than a year and she is the CEO of a marketing company. On the other hand my wife is like 5 credits short of a doctorate so she has plenty of paper and my yearly bonus from my company is more that her yearly salary.

15. #FRB
    I graduated high school and it looks good on paper. Did it by the skin of my teeth too. Not that I was dumb but I was what they called "lazy" and there was also some neurological hurdles they didn't figure out how to treat until I was already graduated. I'm doing OK but not great. Considering I have several cousins that didn't graduate high school I'm one of the "smart" ones.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

16. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Last edited by RangrSkipr; 03-09-2024 at 01:03 PM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin_7 View Post
    Depends on the career field.

So many do not require it. In many cases, it is a money making deal for the schools and the government. Speaking of college that is.

My opinion is that at the end of the day, degree or no degree, work ethic and desire will out perform anything else.
    Case in point: Rich Dad-Poor Dad book.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    I never graduated from High school left my 1st week of 12th grade and never looked back. Went to work right away got married and had 4 kids and I work for the Federal Government. My wife just retired after 40 years in the government I have 1 more year to go then we will be heading to FL.
    In what capacity are you working for the Feds? Were you grandfathered in since any job I seen posted by them has all sorts of requirements and being a HS graduate is a minimum. ?

19. Member
    HS = Yes
    ASEET = Yes
    BSIT = Yes
    MSIT = Yes
    Work out for me? YES

20. Member
    made it through high school with the diploma. Didn't do college as I was making good money in car body repair which turned into owning my own reconditioning/detailing , and accessory shop. I wouldn't hire someone without a HS diploma . My reasoning for this is , HS was and still is the easiest thing a person has to do in life and if you can't finish that, I can't count on you to be a employee that is going to finish the job.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast