Are all ghost trolling motors

24 or 36 volt? Are they worth the money? Reading some of the posts in another thread it sounds like they have some issues.

2. Member
    Yes and yes some issues but small percentage
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Mine is gong 4 years no issues.

4. Member
    No issues. Buy one you will be impressed.

5. Member
    Got one 3 months after they came out. Never an issue other than needing to check the bolts and grease the pivot points. Simple maintenance but it is required. If you have Lowrance electronics, they are even better.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

6. Member
    I have one of the first released to retail ghost. It’s been good, starting to creak and whine a bit more than it used to. Biggest annoyance is the pointer arrow being off a tad, makes it challenging to use FFS properly at times.

7. Member
    We took the leap early on and haven't had one issue. We got past the arrow topic everyone talks about. Once ya understand it its easy to compensate. It sips power and will toss you in to water upon taking off. It's been solid just wish I would have waited for the 52" to be in stock but I had to have it.
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro
    Serial # 2B125401 - 250ProXS DFI/TM2

8. Member
    Had mine for 3 years and no problems. I likE MK too but think ghost is quieter.

9. Member
    Two years now and leaving in the morning for the repair shop again. 3rd time with same issue. No one seems to be able to come up with a solution. Two different service centers have worked on it and seem to be just guessing at which part to swap out this time. Randomly it will just quit working. Going along fishing and step on the pedal to move and it's dead. Usually can restart it by cycling power off and on but gets worse and sometimes I lose hrs without tm. I will see this time how well Lowrance backs up their products. Still in warranty.
    2013 X19 F200LB Yamaha

I’ve had mine almost a year and it’s been great. I only crappie fish so the TM is in anchor mode 90% of the time.

Mines currenty at an ASC as well, but not for anything mechanical or electrical, it's just gotten noisier and noisier over time. I've had it about a year or so. Has plenty of power, and is super efficient as well. When I bought it i was looking at Ultrex and Ghost, and 36v Ultrex's were hard to find at the time, and I had all Lowrance electronics so it was easy decision. If buying again today though, I don't know if I would buy it again. All TM brands have issues, but the Ghost is infamous for the pointer being mis-aligned. There are several fixes ranging from $0 to $300, but the Tru-Arrow is the best (and the most expensive) fix. If you don't use FFS it's not a huge deal, but if you do the pointer will drive you bonkers. That's why you see so many Ghosts with add on pointers ranging from the $130 C-Stick to the $60 Amped Pointer to the Home Depot Drive marker flag and duct tape (Dustin Connell lol). I tried several and finally bought the Tru Arrow, it's the only real fix.

The pto metal ring on my strap rusted right away, so I put the strap from my 7 year old fortrex on it and it's still going strong. They goofed up on some pistons so some folks TM's were slamming down instead of dropping slowly, but they got that sorted out. The pivot/clutch is made of plastic and prone to cracking. The rear pivot bar is held in by tiny c clips than can pop off easier than they should be able to, so you need to keep an eye on that. The pull cable is not compatible with most aftermarket handles. You need to oil/lube the bearing/pins monthly or it starts sounding like a rusty spring door. You have to be sure to install it very carefully with even torque on the bolts or the mount will bind raising and lowering. Also the Anchor Mode/Spot Lock is very finicky, it likes to back up unless you wait till you are dead still to engage it. Also, the remote is pathetic compared to the Minn Kota remote.

I mean, it sounds like i hate it.. I really don't. I just wish some of these issues didn't occour. Mine is VERY loud with the creaking and groaning, so bad I sent it back to Lowrance. They are replacing some parts, I hope to get it back next week. While there are a lot of complaints about noise/groaning/creeking, mine seems to have been a worst case scenario, so I am hoping they got it sorted out.

Suggested reading, if you haven't already:

Lowrance ghost bracket creaking and popping

12. Member
    I have had two since they became available. No issues on either to this day! (knocking on wood).
    ciao,
    Marc

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1pooldoc View Post
    Two years now and leaving in the morning for the repair shop again. 3rd time with same issue. No one seems to be able to come up with a solution. Two different service centers have worked on it and seem to be just guessing at which part to swap out this time. Randomly it will just quit working. Going along fishing and step on the pedal to move and it's dead. Usually can restart it by cycling power off and on but gets worse and sometimes I lose hrs without tm. I will see this time how well Lowrance backs up their products. Still in warranty.
    I have this exact issue. When it happens to you, does the arrow on top of the motor blink twice when you move the pedal? If I turn on the motor while I am prepping to launch and give it plenty of time before I deploy it it seems to keep the problem at bay. So far, cycling the power usually fixes it, although 2 days ago it took multiple times.

14. Member
    Will replace mine with another brand, by the time I replace both of the big boards with labor included I'm halfway to one with a warranty.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    I have this exact issue. When it happens to you, does the arrow on top of the motor blink twice when you move the pedal? If I turn on the motor while I am prepping to launch and give it plenty of time before I deploy it it seems to keep the problem at bay. So far, cycling the power usually fixes it, although 2 days ago it took multiple times.
    Yes the 2 blinks are preceded by 5 beeps. Cycling works but sometimes it may take an extended amount of time and numerous cycles to get it back going. It gets worse with time. 2 head sensors replaced and three hour and a half trips one way and no further toward a solution. BTW, 2 different ASCs, one of which dropped the Ghost service.
    2013 X19 F200LB Yamaha

Are these motors being troubleshot on the boat or removed and taken to the shop? The electronics on these motors will monitor the voltage and if the voltage on one battery drops below a certain point they will shut down. When I had the problem it turned out to be caused by a bad charger!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1pooldoc View Post
    Yes the 2 blinks are preceded by 5 beeps. Cycling works but sometimes it may take an extended amount of time and numerous cycles to get it back going. It gets worse with time. 2 head sensors replaced and three hour and a half trips one way and no further toward a solution. BTW, 2 different ASCs, one of which dropped the Ghost service.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

17. Member
    Same for me^ Battery/charger issue but Ghost shut down. A bit of troubleshooting showed me the issue.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

18. Member
    This will be the third year for mine and still love it.

19. Member
    my boat dealer recommended it highly, I've fished it maybe 20 days. Seems great, can't compare it to other spot lock units. Much quieter then my old fortrex for sure. No issues
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

20. Member
    Just replaced ny Ghost with the PP Move. The Ghost does not do well in weeds and the brackets seem to be too noisy. Other than that, it was mostly trouble free but was not as solid as I thought it would be.

If I was buying today, it would either be the Move or the MK Quest.