Lowrance HDS Gen 1

Hey y'all!

Looking for some advice on my electronics. Currently have older Gen 1 HDS units with structure scan. I am finally upgrading after 11 years and getting Garmin Livescope for up front.

My question is trying to decide the best route to go with my old Gen 1's. My thoughts are keeping them and upgrading the mapping on them and use them for that sole purpose then saving up to eventually upgrade the structure scan to a newer Active imaging side and down scan for the console.

Am I able to upgrade these old units with some of the newest navionics mapping?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks and tight lines!

2. Member
    ITs doubtfull you can run new Navionics in a Gen 1 it has a very slow processor. I used to say when I had one that I would hit zoom, go make a sandwich then hit it again and eat the sandwich. Since you are a Lowrance Guy stay with Lowrance and go with the AT 2 and a HDS Live or Pro. Your learning curve will be much shorter than another brand. I think you can only use a SD Card in the Gen1 under 2 or 4 gb and maps are bigger than that these days unless Navi as some stripped down version. Cmap will work on a Gen 1 but it will also be slow to update no getting around that one.

3. Member
    You can use a new Navionics-chip in a Gen 1. But it will be slow, especially when using imagery, and not all features (like shading, Sonarchart Live and auto-routing) will work.

4. Member
    Thanks for the advice!

Currently looking to take advantage of some Bass Pro sales and bite the bullet and upgrade all my units.