Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Triton Trailer lights not coming on..HELP!

I have 2015 Triton trailer. Last year I replaced the coil plug adapter (from the 5 flat pin to the 7 pin plug going into truck) with a new one because the old one had all the protective rubbers frayed off showing the little single wires. Everything works since this past October but when I tried to take out the boat last week, the trailer running lights didn't come when I plugged in to truck. I thought the nearly new plug adapter was a lemon so I went to pick up another shorter one (same specs) to test that theory and plugged into truck and lights came on right away, then I thought I should try the nonworking one to see if the lights would come on too, but still didn't work, then I re-plugged the new short one back on and this time the lights DID NOT come either now. I checked all white ground wire under the trailer tongue connections and rear trailer light connections and found no white ground loose or anything. Anyone have any ideas why I am having this issue? TIA!!

2. Member
    Possible loose connection for running lights in the truck plug, broken or nearly broken wire getting an intermittent connection in the trailer running light circuit. If brake/turns work then probably not a ground issue.
    Last edited by mikeky; 03-06-2024 at 04:59 AM.

3. Member
    Look at your truck fuse diagram see if there is a (good) fuse for the trailer lights.

4. Member
    You can buy a 7 pin tester on amazon for $8. This will clear up any concerns with the truck side. I got one of these recently and wonder why I did not do it years ago. too many mornings at 4am my lights now working and not knowing the root.

I had 2 main issues on my 2014 Marine master trailer. The tongue was no well grounded to the rest of the trailer. This is why multiple times my connector stopped working then later might work. Dealer put a wire to connect my breakaway tongue section to the main trailer. Second issue was a loose wire in a connector. The wires running down our boat are often spliced and the connector might have come loose.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    Possible loose connection for running lights in the truck plug, broken or nearly broken wire getting an intermittent connection in the trailer running light circuit. If brake/turns work then probably not a ground issue.
    none of the lights came on

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Look at your truck fuse diagram see if there is a (good) fuse for the trailer lights.
    I've checked fuse in the engine bay, all fuses good. Are there other fuses inside the cabin also?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    You can buy a 7 pin tester on amazon for $8. This will clear up any concerns with the truck side. I got one of these recently and wonder why I did not do it years ago. too many mornings at 4am my lights now working and not knowing the root.

I had 2 main issues on my 2014 Marine master trailer. The tongue was no well grounded to the rest of the trailer. This is why multiple times my connector stopped working then later might work. Dealer put a wire to connect my breakaway tongue section to the main trailer. Second issue was a loose wire in a connector. The wires running down our boat are often spliced and the connector might have come loose.
    Yea maybe Ill get the tester. Thanks.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4motion View Post
    none of the lights came on
    You said running lights so I took it as the other lights worked. Most likely a bad ground.

If you have a breakaway tongue, look at post #4 and connect the tongue to the main trailer frame with a separate wire.
    Last edited by mikeky; 03-07-2024 at 04:36 AM.

9. Member
    You said running lights so I took it as the other lights worked. Most likely a bad ground.

If you have a breakaway tongue, look at post #4 and connect the tongue to the main trailer frame with a separate wire.
    buy a separate wire kit and connect? or just the ground wire?

10. Member
    buy a separate wire kit and connect? or just the ground wire?
    Just a short piece of wire with ring terminals on each end.

11. Member
    Another quick way is to get a set of jumper cables and connect one end to a good ground on your truck frame and the other to a good ground spot on the TRAILER, but not on your breakaway section.

12. Member
    THANK YOU!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post

So I bought the plug tester and plugged into truck, the TM (running ligts) came lit up and the 12v also lit too. I watched another youtube video and his only had the TM lit up. Does that mean my truck end is not working properly or normal?

14. Member
    So I bought the plug tester and plugged into truck, the TM (running ligts) came lit up and the 12v also lit too. I watched another youtube video and his only had the TM lit up. Does that mean my truck end is not working properly or normal?
    Did you try the stop/turn lights on the tester?
    Last edited by mikeky; 03-09-2024 at 05:16 AM.

15. Member
    Well, that looks good IF you had your light switch on. One terminal has 12 volts all the time but you don't use that one. Since your lights did come on intermittently, it looks like the odds are the 5 pin male connector has a broken bRown wire some where, likely at the connector, maybe inside the insulation.

16. Member
    Did you try the stop/turn lights on the tester?
    Yeah, Brakes, LT, RT, Reverse are good.

17. Member
    Well, that looks good IF you had your light switch on. One terminal has 12 volts all the time but you don't use that one. Since your lights did come on intermittently, it looks like the odds are the 5 pin male connector has a broken bRown wire some where, likely at the connector, maybe inside the insulation.
    trialer plug.jpgtrailer 5 pin.jpg

18. Member
    this is how my 5 pin wire looks like from the boat trailer.
    trialer plug.jpgtrailer 5 pin.jpg

19. Member
    wire 2 points.jpgtrailer holes.jpgtrailer hoes.jpg There are two points of ground connections under the tongue... why? I just finally see where the lights comes and off. While the 7pin plug was attached to truck, I tried to reconnect that loosen ground wire to trailer (not on swing tongue) I accidentally swung the tongue and saw that the lights on trailer flickered and came on/off. Note on the pictures where the two holes are apart and aligned, I can see a little sparks when I moved the tongue back and forth...the lights flickers. Question is why now, when it never happened before. Was it the RUST? I did sprayed some BLAST on it and noticed the flickering lesser but I really want to know what causes it.

20. Member
    As suspected it's a ground problem. Splice a wire to your trailer harness ground wire that is long enough to get past the swing tongue and connect to the main trailer frame. Not necessary, but I always drill and tap a hole for a 1/4" bolt to attach grounds to trailers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast