Champion- Merc to Johnson

Needing some advice. Long story short had a 1993 nitro fixed it up rebuilt the motor just to hit a tree just below the water at Truman lake, after about a month, totaled the hull. Bought a 1989 201 this weekend with no motor. Have the rebuilt Johnson 115 (yes I know it’s gonna be underpowered) just hoping it will get on plane. I don’t care about speed. Here are a Couple questions:

1. What issues am I going to have going from Merc to Johnson wiring? I know they make an adapter but
    2. Can I just pull the throttle box at the helm off the nitro and put it on the champion (champion one missing neutral button anyways).

3. Will my gauges still work? trim and RPM most importantly. I don’t care about speedometer have graphs for that.

4. Being underpowered what pitch prop should I go with? My old prop is pretty beat up so I am going to buy a new one anyways. I don't have RPM at WOT and all of that data because of the circumstance of new boat.

Appreciate the add to the group and any advice.
    Last edited by Nrichardson2011; 03-05-2024 at 09:21 AM.

2. Member
    It's not compatable. Yank the merc stuff out and put the OMC stuff in. It really isn't hard, just takes time. When you pull the merc stuff out, tie ar heavy string, or small diameter rope o the end, Tape the rude cables and wire plug to the rope and pull it back through. Gauges, that will depend on the brand, if they are Merc or aftermarket.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

If it's a trim gauge meant for a Merc, that will work backwards on the OMC. The trim switch wiring will be same. THe Tach probably won't work right either if it was meant for a Merc.