Purchasing a used bass boat

Got a question, Lets say you are looking for a great used boat. You go and look at it and it looks clean and is ready to fish. Everything looks right, so you ask these two question. Are these two questions that can make or break a deal? Also, do you purchase from a dealer or private sale?

1. How many hours are on the motor?

2. Is there an extended warranty that is transferable?

2. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Hours on the motor is important but I feel like how the motor was run and maintained is far more important. As for the warranty, that's nice to have but if it doesn't have any warranty left that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as long as the motor is in perfect health.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

There is 0 guarantee knowing about "how the motor was maintained" without detailed records, preferably from a dealer. I can make up "DIY" service records in about 15 minutes, so be leery of that anyhow.

For me, some type of factory (extended or not) warranty was extremely important. I didn't want to buy someone else's problem and end up with a $X,XXX powerhead or lower unit problem on day one. On the other hand, if my "buddy" ran the boat and I personally knew it was taken care of, I'd be willing to take more of a risk without a warranty.

And at the very least, do not buy -anything- without a water test. Get it up to speed and push every button on the boat.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | 4" Jackplate | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

My biggest fear is buying somebody else's problem.

That's why I buy new and with cash

5. Member
    Price of the used boat determines a lot. I haven't bought a new boat since 1990, but I lost count of the used ones I have bought. Never cared about extended warranty because I didn't trust it anyway. Hours can be a tricky test question. There is zero question in my mind that I would rather an 8 year old motor with 1000 hours that looked clean and kept and the boat looked the same vs an 8 year old motor with 50 hours on it. Sitting up and not being used is the one of the worst enemies from my experience. Plus those owners usually don't care if some things don't work or don't work right because they don't use it enough to matter. Heck sometimes they may not even know if it is all working right and they usually think that is added value. I've seen used boats for sale that were way over fair market price because they haven't been used in 8 years. IMO, that's bad - not good. The guy with a 1000 hours 'needs' it working so he gets it fixed and he knows when something is wrong.

6. Member
    I wouldn't buy a used boat/motor without knowing the hours and without at the very least a compression test and cracking the lower unit screw and letting some fluid drain out to see if there's any water. The rest is left up to chance.

7. Member
    Test drive.

8. Member
    Up to the buyer to be honest. Ask to take to dealer to have diagnostic ran so compression and hours can be determined. As long as a post late nineties motor the ECM should give you hours. You can look into getting an aftermarket warranty yourself if that is important to you.

9. Member
    And if you are on the selling end get a deposit before the test drive. I had a buyer for a used boat I was selling said he would take it after test drive. We drove all over lake during test drive. Back on ramp buyer says I will take it, meet me at my bank on Mon. He calls me Sun night and says I can not get Approved at bank due to too many loans out and pour credit rating. The guy wasted half my day. I learned a big lesson that day about selling used boats...

10. Member
    Take a look at the boat itself. If it looks taken care of and not just 'cleaned up' it usually means it was someone's baby. I have walked away from some great 'deals' because they looked like they were just cleaned up and not maintained very well. Did the person do the maintenance him'herself or was it performed by a certified mechanic? Who was/is the dealer or shop they took the boat too when it malfunctioned or they wanted something added? Questions like this will make or break a deal for me.

Those are legit questions. I also study the seller just as much as anything else. You just know if you know……
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

Neither question would kill the deal depending on the price.

13. Member
    Not every boat has a hour meter unless you scan it.

14. Member
    A very important question is the title free and clear of any liens? I almost got cheated on a Ranger in Minnesota with a lien. I got the registration numbers of the pictures and called the Minnesota DNR. I asked if the title had a lien and was told yes. I was giving him my boat and cash.I would have given my boat away and had a boat that I would have had to pay off.