Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question for Mark Perry.

After seeing all those big fish caught at Fork. What is the biggest fish you have caught there?

I am not Mark, but I caught a 7# bowfin there in my one trip to the lake.

3. Member
    mine was 8lb 9oz slot fish. lots and lots of six's and sevens

11.23lbs

I have caught more 7-9lb fish there than I can count. I've spent a ton of time on that lake. I would go and fish it for 5-6 days straight pretty often. We lived out there for a while too.
    What you saw on TV made it look a lot easier than it really is. Some of the most pressured fish in Texas and the U.S.
    More times than not it's a tough, tough fishery. People show up with unreasonable abd unrealistic expectations. Most fishermen are not gonna catch them like they just did. I will say though when it's on and you have that magical day it makes the rough days worth it. It's a special, special place. I'm thankful that it's been such a big part of my life over the years.

5. Member
    I haven't had a chance to fish it yet... Mark????

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    11.23lbs

I have caught more 7-9lb fish there than I can count. I've spent a ton of time on that lake. I would go and fish it for 5-6 days straight pretty often. We lived out there for a while too.
    What you saw on TV made it look a lot easier than it really is. Some of the most pressured fish in Texas and the U.S.
    More times than not it's a tough, tough fishery. People show up with unreasonable abd unrealistic expectations. Most fishermen are not gonna catch them like they just did. I will say though when it's on and you have that magical day it makes the rough days worth it. It's a special, special place. I'm thankful that it's been such a big part of my life over the years.
    Very nice fish Mark. Would love to fish in Texas someday before I die.

Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Very nice fish Mark. Would love to fish in Texas someday before I die.

C'mon down. I'll get you on the water and buy you lunch too.

8. Member
    You guys that live in Texas and Bass fish are truly blessed for sure. The rest of the country should take some lessons from the Texas wildlife and fisheries guys. Our state WV mostly care about stocking trout in rivers and deer hunting. Bass are Way down on the list. I live right close to Kzyband fish there. They r better with the Bass fishing than WV. Enjoy your state Texas guys.

9. Member
    C'mon down. I'll get you on the water and buy you lunch too.
    I may take u up someday. But I am buying lunch and fuel.

10. Member
    11.23lbs

True Dat!! It has been a tough lake to learn. The good spots are small and the fish are smart, overpressured, fat and lazy.
    I am only on year three, but oh my what a threesome to start a fishing story.
    The Tournament was fun to watch but was out of the ordinary due to the fisherman on the waters.
    Mark's words are on the mark!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    True Dat!! It has been a tough lake to learn. The good spots are small and the fish are smart, overpressured, fat and lazy.
    I am only on year three, but oh my what a threesome to start a fishing story.
    The Tournament was fun to watch but was out of the ordinary due to the fisherman on the waters.
    Mark's words are on the mark!
    One thing I've always loved about Fork is a lot of the people that fish it think they can only catch them deep there. It leaves the shallow stuff wide open usually minus the spawn. I've always had a lot of the areas I want to fish to myself. Also the dock bite there gets overlooked all too often. I caught my biggest there off a dock in summertime in 4' of water.

12. Member
    Wow, 11.23 iIs a big bass.
    largest for me almost ten lbs.
    Fork seems fantastic, but I'll still stick with smallmouth at Lake Ontario.
    Mark, being where you live, have you ever fished any smallmouth lakes?

13. Member
    Nothing against Fork, and I have fished it many times, but if I was going to Texas to catch bass, Fork wouldn't be my pick.......unless you just want to say you fished it. Plenty of easier lakes with dumber big bass in it to have better success. My two biggest have come on a lake 10 minutes from Fork.

14. Member
    One thing I've always loved about Fork is a lot of the people that fish it think they can only catch them deep there. It leaves the shallow stuff wide open usually minus the spawn. I've always had a lot of the areas I want to fish to myself. Also the dock bite there gets overlooked all too often. I caught my biggest there off a dock in summertime in 4' of water.
    probably the best day ive ever had on Fork was an october fishing shallow around docks. it was stupid

Quote Originally Posted by draym View Post
    probably the best day ive ever had on Fork was an october fishing shallow around docks. it was stupid

They used to school up a lot more in the fall it seems than they do now. That pocket around tge corner from the ramp in LFM with the long metal dock/ slips would be insane. You could throw a shad pattern squarebill and 4lbers would fight to hit it. As soon as we got the first front or too in October that bite woukd fire up.

16. Member
    Mark,
    You did not answer the question, have you ever been smallmouth fishing ??
    Just curious for all you guys that live in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    Mark,
    You did not answer the question, have you ever been smallmouth fishing ??
    Just curious for all you guys that live in Texas.

The lake I live on has smallmouth. My biggest out of here is a 6lber. I live on Lake Bridgeport. Love fall out here too as the smallmouth get a lot more active in tbe late afternoon in the fall.

18. Member
    The lake I live on has smallmouth. My biggest out of here is a 6lber. I live on Lake Bridgeport. Love fall out here too as the smallmouth get a lot more active in tbe late afternoon in the fall.
    Ok, A guy from Texas outfishes me when I go to upstate NY for many years.
    Caught hundreds of smallmouth close to 6 lbs but never over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    Ok, A guy from Texas outfishes me when I go to upstate NY for many years.
    Caught hundreds of smallmouth close to 6 lbs but never over that.

It was pure luck. A 7.41 is the lake record smallmouth here. They are not super prolific or abundant on this lake but there are some beast smallmouth out here.

20. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    11.23lbs

I have caught more 7-9lb fish there than I can count.
    That’s called an embarrassment of riches and it makes me angry and jealous
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast