Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

250 Pro XS Won’t Get On Plane

250 Pro XS - Serial # 2B087982

I Had BssPro Winterize My Boat Last November , When I Went To Pick The Boat Up They Told Me (1) Of The Spark Plug Threads Were Bad and They Replaced All My Plugs Free.

Took The Boat Out Today For The First Time. Motor Started Right Up , But Sounded Like It Was Missing. Went To Get On Plane and Nothing Just No Power.

Brought The Boat Home and Started Checking All The Spark Plug Wires , I Noticed That The Plug Wires Are Maroon On One End and Brown On The Other End? I Then Notice (1) Of The Wires Was Reversed? Will These Wires Have A gusset-end?

Thank For Any Help , Mike
    Last edited by MikeFromMaryland; 03-04-2024 at 03:46 PM.

2. Member
    Start with what BPS told you, get the BAD sparkplug threads repaired by someone other than BPS. Have the new shop double check all the other sparkplugs/wires/threads. If the motor was totally fine before winterization, and now has issues, then it is most likely something BPS did. They never just give away six expensive sparkplugs for free......Something is wrong here!

3. Member
    Hey Savage , Bass Pro Installed New Plugs , They Said The Threads On (1) Of The Plugs They Removed Were Bad.

Mike

4. Member
    Spark plug threads don't just get "bad" from use.

If the steel sparkplug threads are "bad" it probably happened during a installation. The aluminum threads in the cylinder head will most likely also be damaged.
    Threads on the sparkplug are STEEL (hard metal).
    The threads in the cylinder head are ALUMINUM (soft metal).

"But Sounded Like It Was Missing"..............Again the motor was OKAY before winterization, correct?

5. Member
    Yes , The Motor Ran Like A Champ.

6. Member
    Yes , The Motor Ran Like A Champ.

7. Member
    did bps say which cyl had stripped thread spark plug /problem , and those wires do have gusset end for plug connection
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    did bps say which cyl had stripped thread spark plug /problem , and those wires do have gusset end for plug connection
    I see where you are heading Joe......Likely #5, or #6 the harder to get to plugs, without lower pan removal.

9. Member
    My first response to them would have been. It didn't have stripped threads when I brought it to you. Why didn't you call me when you found out? How did you repair the stripped threads?

Did they charge you for the thread repair? If not they probably realized they did that damage and didn't want to start a stink. FWIW, things do happen from time to time. If they made the repairs properly then all should be well. The cylinders misfiring is another issue though. I would say take it back to them but I am not sure the trust would be there now.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I see where you are heading Joe......Likely #5, or #6 the harder to get to plugs, without lower pan removal.
    exactly
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    Ok Guys , Took The Boat Back Out , It Did Take Some Time , But It Got On Plane and Ran Great , I’m Now Getting (6) Beeps.

Mike

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's a non-critical fault- really need to get the history printed out unless you can clearly see something disconnected (like the temp sensor wires on the air compressor, low oil level in the engine-mounted tank, etc). Don't continue running it until that's been determined and addressed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Just Wanted To Thank Everyone For There Input ,

Mike

14. Member
    Just an update on my motor , when Bass Pro replaced my spark plugs they disconnected the #6 piston fuel injector , it was not snapped back into place.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's unusual, but it would definitely knock that cylinder out of the contest!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Just an update on my motor , when Bass Pro replaced my spark plugs they disconnected the #6 piston fuel injector , it was not snapped back into place.

17. Member
    good ol #6

18. Member
    Update on my boat. Took it back out after fuel injector was plugged back in. After running about 1/2 mile alarms going off. 1 long beep & 6 intermittent beeps, also at idle wasn't peeing a straight stream at times looked like a spray, but it was really windy, not sure if that played a part. Had a meeting with service manager, store manager could not be there, but called me. They admitted to messing the motor up. The employee that screwed up the spark plug and unplugged the fuel injector, just doesn’t work there anymore. They told me to bring the boat/motor in and they would fix what ever needs to be done. I told them I’m taking the boat/motor to a Master Tech that has a good name in Ohio. They told me they won’t pay for another shop to fix the motor, but will refund the cost of winterizing the boat & pay for my gas to Ohio. Just don’t get how bass pro is saying only they can fix the motor.
    Last edited by MikeFromMaryland; 03-30-2024 at 10:13 PM.

19. Member
    BPS is offering to make the repairs.
    BPS is not going to pay for repairs that they can't oversee.

If I hire a painter to paint my house and the job is done poorly, do you think painter #1 is going to pay for me to hire the next painter to do a better job?

I would cut my losses and find a good reputable shop.

20. Member
    Ask the service manager and store manager if they employ a Mercury certified master tech who will be fixing the problem the other "employee" created. If the answer is no, I'd do as Savage suggests.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast