Oxygen Levels in a Lake

I have wondered for some time how much dissolved oxygen affect fish. I know low oxygen will hurt fishing (like during a turnover), and no oxygen means no fish (below thermocline or in areas of heavily dying vegetation). I wonder how much natural oxygen differences cause fish to move. I know people actively avoid areas they think may be low oxygen (bays that have turned over, hot shallow water) so I am surprised there isn't more for dissolved oxygen sensing equipment both for where you fish and your livewell. Is this something anyone has played with before? What are your thoughts and opinions on this?

2. Member
    I’ve caught plenty of decent sized bass in very shallow,very warm waters.
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    I’ve caught plenty of decent sized bass in very shallow,very warm waters.
    They for sure are there, but it is something that people pay attention to and do avoid during certain situations.

4. Member
    I have a O2/PH meter/probe that was given to me years ago by a L. Erie guide. It has been useful on several lakes in warm water months from Cumberland to Okeechobee.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    I have a O2/PH meter/probe that was given to me years ago by a L. Erie guide. It has been useful on several lakes in warm water months from Cumberland to Okeechobee.
    Have you found better success searching for areas with higher DO?
    Have you noticed areas with higher DO that may not be noticeable just observing the water with your eyes and electronics?
    Do you look at DO deeper than the surface?

Not trying to put you on trial, just trying to see your experience. Thanks!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    Have you found better success searching for areas with higher DO?
    Have you noticed areas with higher DO that may not be noticeable just observing the water with your eyes and electronics?
    Do you look at DO deeper than the surface?

Not trying to put you on trial, just trying to see your experience. Thanks!
    On Cumberland when setting down rods and riggers it helps for a starting depth to set lines. On the Big O it helps from spending time in "dead/Mudfish" water. It has also helped when fishing Walleye/Perch/Salmon on the Great lakes. Now the "color C lector"

7. Member
    I went thru this thinking, being an engineer. My take aways are this. Thermocline tells you max-ish depth to fish and on a lake with current, it can change radically with location. I fish on a nuclear power lake and the plant pulls ALOT of water. This means there is really not a thermocline where the current from the plant is and the bass are often very deep as this current mixes oxygen through out the water column. Up the rivers in summer you get a distinctive thermocline in areas that changes with the wind and wave action. shoreline grass gives off CO2 at night so bass are typically not in the grass at night, but will get there during the day to eat and hang around in the cooler shade that things like willowgrass provides. Livewells? I just make sure I have the right battery to run them constantly on fill all day. never lose a fish that way. I don't believe in the additives or the ice, as too much of either and you shock the fish and potentially kill them. The biggest thing is don't keep fish in the live well if the water temps are over 80, you are just killing them with delayed mortality. reason I don't fish hot water tournaments.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    On Cumberland when setting down rods and riggers it helps for a starting depth to set lines. On the Big O it helps from spending time in "dead/Mudfish" water. It has also helped when fishing Walleye/Perch/Salmon on the Great lakes. Now the "color C lector"
    Thanks for your input!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    I went thru this thinking, being an engineer. My take aways are this. Thermocline tells you max-ish depth to fish and on a lake with current, it can change radically with location. I fish on a nuclear power lake and the plant pulls ALOT of water. This means there is really not a thermocline where the current from the plant is and the bass are often very deep as this current mixes oxygen through out the water column. Up the rivers in summer you get a distinctive thermocline in areas that changes with the wind and wave action. shoreline grass gives off CO2 at night so bass are typically not in the grass at night, but will get there during the day to eat and hang around in the cooler shade that things like willowgrass provides. Livewells? I just make sure I have the right battery to run them constantly on fill all day. never lose a fish that way. I don't believe in the additives or the ice, as too much of either and you shock the fish and potentially kill them. The biggest thing is don't keep fish in the live well if the water temps are over 80, you are just killing them with delayed mortality. reason I don't fish hot water tournaments.
    I think it comes down to the thought process that many engineers have. At least see all the variables.

I have used similar thoughts to you as well and was just curious about other's thoughts and experiments on oxygen content.

I agree with you on the livewell running continuously all day. My only observation with ice is that I have had a day where I didn't bring a lot of ice out, so I was saving it for when the day got hot. The fish weren't doing great from my observation (pale, not active) then when I added the ice they totally came alive. Got good color back in them and became very active. I know this is anecdotal at best. Just something I have seen.