Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar

Bass Fishing, a sport or a hobby?

A post or two on some recent threads got me feeling thinking on this, plus Iím home sick with the flu so I have nothing but time
    Do we enthusiasts and fans of bass fishing, and bass fishing in the pro ranks, give it too much or too little credit to its impact as an actual sport? Are pros actually professional athletes or are they competing in an outdoor related contest that happens to have a niche market?
    When I think of true professional sports, one I think of athletes in peak physical condition, and two I think of athletes who are being paid to do their job not depending solely on success or sponsors to make a living.
    On one hand I am all in on it being a professional sport, but on the other I can see it being as much a pro sport as I do cornhole or professional eating
    Humor me here and offer your opinion. Iíve got no agenda other than my own curiosity and wanting to see where everyone else stands
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

2. Member
    It's a great question. Current longtime pros love it being a called a "sport" and title their facebook as "athletes", but they sure freak out about new young talent coming in or the potential of getting cut.

I think Matt Stefan said it best when he said national touring tournaments are a "marketing vehicle", not a true sport. I tend to agree with him.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

3. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    In my honest opinion it's a hobby most of the time. I guess you could consider it a sport when fishing a tournament but I put it in the same category as chess or poker.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

4. Member
    I would like to see some pros in other sports throw a arig in the rain and wind for 3 days

I don't think it's a sport. I call it an activity.

6. Member
    Bowling? Pickleball? Bags? Hunting? I think it's something you enjoy and can make money doing it, not so much a sport.
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    I would like to see some pros in other sports throw a arig in the rain and wind for 3 days

It's probably not PC to say but in tvat situation if someone is physically wiped out after doing they might want to find a way to get in a little better shape for theirow benefit. Not saying they need to start running marathons and competing in triathlons but there are ways to build yourself up so that it's not that taxing on them.

like baseball its an activity.......

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    It's probably not PC to say but in tvat situation if someone is physically wiped out after doing they might want to find a way to get in a little better shape for theirow benefit. Not saying they need to start running marathons and competing in triathlons but there are ways to build yourself up so that it's not that taxing on them.
    Fishing is weird in that, for me anyways, it can be extremely mentally fatiguing. As you said really not physically demanding, but after a long tournament day with lots of tough decisions in rough weather, it can flat wear you out in a way that hard workouts won't.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Depends on who you ask...a Pro would call it a sport. They train, get physically / mentally fit, etc.

If you ask me...it's my hobby / activity. It allows me to get outside, enjoy the outdoors, and get some physical benefits.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

Many wives call it ďa needless drain on family financial resourcesĒ.

It's a hobby to most
    I'd called it a Sport and those fishing it pro's if there making money from it

It all depends on the definition of "sport" that is used.

Sport - a game, competition, or activity needing physical effort and skill that is played or done according to rules, for enjoyment and/or as a job. Cambridge Dictionary

Sport - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. Oxford Dictionary

According to both of these definitions, bass fishing is a sport, including tournament bass fishing.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 03-04-2024 at 12:36 PM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of itÖHe seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.Ē Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    For those of us that have a physically demanding job the last thing some of us want to do is throw a deep diver or a-rig. It's not because we're out of shape either. You of all people should know that as we get older it takes longer to recover whether we're doing warehouse work, fighting fires, working construction, or anything else that requires your muscles to make a living. When I power fish it's usually with lures that don't give a lot of resistance when retrieving. Beyond a certain depth range it's mostly a soft plastic of some sort.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

15. Member
    It is a hobby for me.

Just my opinion: It is a regulated outdoor activity/competition for professional anglers…..whose profession is product marketing. It is televised/ streamed as entertainment and its production is funded with sponsor marketing funds.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    For those of us that have a physically demanding job the last thing some of us want to do is throw a deep diver or a-rig. It's not because we're out of shape either. You of all people should know that as we get older it takes longer to recover whether we're doing warehouse work, fighting fires, working construction, or anything else that requires your muscles to make a living. When I power fish it's usually with lures that don't give a lot of resistance when retrieving. Beyond a certain depth range it's mostly a soft plastic of some sort.

What kind of work do you do?

I do know how physical some jobs are but I also have learned later in life that taking better care of myself, working out a little, and eating a little better goes a LONG way in feeling better mentally and physically.

I'm not calling anyone out, just saying there are definitely things we can all do to enjoy chasing these fish.

17. Member
    When my doctor asked me what I do for sports & other physical activity, told her that I bass fish. She laughed & said that does not count.

18. Member
    My personal definition of a sport is that it needs to have a defense. There is a grey argument that the bass could play defense. Without a defense, everything else is a competition.

My brother's definition of a sport is that is has to be on ESPN. He considers the spelling bee a sport.

All in good fun of course

19. Member
    Tournament bass fishing is a contest, not a sport

20. Member
    I don't think it's a sport. I call it an activity.
    Yep; I've always referred to it as an activity. Depending how involved you get in bass fishing, it can easily change from an activity to a lifestyle.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast