Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    I'll call it a hobby/pastime that has been bastardized by money.

2. Member
    Hobby

It’s a business.

Most established true "sports" have a code of uniformity as far as equipment, playing field and whatnot to "keep a level playing field
    " so to speak. Pro fishing currently doesn't have that so you have a hodgepodge of participants that are all over the place ability wise and it's a big fustercluck. That's not a knock on either side of the aisle but that's where we're at now. It's an arms race gone awry but it certainly ain't sport. The NHL wouldn't let you skate your shift in figure skates and tights but here we are
    Ranting incoherently

My elbows are shot from too many years of fishing.

No A-Rig for me

I like my hobby.

6. Member
    I would call it a pastime except when fishing tournaments then it becomes a competitive pastime.
    Bass Boat
    Powered by an outboard
    Electronics at helm and up front
    Pulled by my truck

7. Member
    Itís a hobby nothing more. Guys who fish at the top level are not athletes there just fishermen like you and me.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley-Maine View Post
    When my doctor asked me what I do for sports & other physical activity, told her that I bass fish. She laughed & said that does not count.

When my doctor found out we were putting in a pool he said "that's great and really good exercise" I said "I had no idea sitting in a patio chair drinking beer was good for me."
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

9. Member
    I think by the dictionary definition it is a sport. I think it's as much as sport as golf for sure. I even see some MLB players that aren't in real peak physical condition.

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    It’s a business.

Wonder if there are any opportunities for a tax write-off?

An addiction
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

12. Member
    It requires hand-eye coordination same as golf, baseball, tennis, bowling, racing and many others activities. If they're considered sports than I'd call bass fishing a sport.

Itís called Sport Fishing. Some fish for sport some fish to put meat on the table.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTimeís for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Bass are a sportfish. Sportfishing is what sportfisherman do. It is spelled out for us right there in plain English long before professional bass tournaments were a thing.

I did not see the post above me that said the same exact thing.

15. Member
    Great question............have never fished in anything but a few local tournaments and do it 4-5 times a when in full swing as a pastime, hobby, passion, fun or whatever you want to call it. It is the closest activity you can participate in which is so close to the 'pros' at time you can't tell the difference.

16. Member
    Outdoor sporting activity is my take. And I will laugh in the face of anyone who calls a professional fisherman an "athlete", including the professional fisherman- any/all of them.
    2014 920/SHO

17. Member
    I consider anything you pay money to participate in a hobby. Pros get paid to play pure and simple.

18. Member
    I have always said fishing tournaments are the same as poker tournaments. You put your own money on the table and you hedge it with some skill and some luck to win the other persons money. You have some players that are consistently better than others. Is it a "sport", well maybe. Is it a "professional sport", definitely not in the sense that most would define it. Anytime you put your own money on the table to play, and your winnings constitute the other persons money, it's very difficult to call it a "professional sport". Professional athletes get paid by team owners or organizations (boxing, etc) who make a profit because the product puts PAID butts in seats. Until that day comes pay-to-play games like bass tournaments are more akin to gambling than anything else. We have "Professional Gamblers" and we have "Professional Fisherman", I think those are legitimate titles. Are MLF and Bassmaster anglers "Professional Athletes" playing in a "Professional Sport"? Not to me.
    Last edited by Hydro870; 03-04-2024 at 03:26 PM.

19. Member
    Hobby.

20. Member
    Fishing tournaments is a sport, eye hand coordination, and the physical acumen to make precise countless cast to a target alone takes its toll, standing and working a trolling motor in all kinds of weather conditions
    it takes physical prowess to be efficient. If anyone has closely watched a pro during a tournament it becomes very clear they are athletes. Tournament fishing at the highest level takes mental and physical conditioning and an unending desire to be the best. Sounds like any other sport to me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast