Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    I hope I damaged the 8M0059531 with the air hose and that is why I still show no water pressure. With the line off in the water(Lake) the other evening, I had a good stream of water coming from the block while at idle. Just no pressure on either analog or merc gauge.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Being as it's a 50 psi (max) sensor, it's quite easy to damage using compressed air.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    After running again at idle, with a new sendor for the analog gauge, I saw a little water pressure. So I then changed out the second 8M0059531 sendor that was not showing any pressure with the 8M0142696 and had 1.5 at idle. Apparently the 59531 Teed in with the analog set up just wont gee haw. Not sure why?? Would rather have both. The 2696 screwed directly into the block works as should. I knew the second go on the water pump install seemed to have more pee from the water line.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Something funny about one of the tubes or fittings, Travis... perhaps something trapped in the tee?

I've installed several dozens of those setups with no problems, whatsoever... so I can tell you conclusively it WILL work, obviously yours doesn't for some reason.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Yessir, I am getting a refund on the second sendor so I want to order another and give it another shot. The line, Tee and fittings all look good and clear. Must have been two bad sendors. I do feel I may have damaged the first one with air. Was just as excited to get the lower cowl back on yesterday as I was to get the H20 pressure. Those that want to remove the lower cowl (Midsection Cover) to check the strainer be very slow and careful with the mounting screws. One up front that goes into the neck of the motor in the rubber corner piece cross threaded on me and broke the thread insert, the bracket holding it and my heart. Took for ever to get part and you will need a thread insert tool that is like a rivot gun to install. A ratchet nor wrench will fit to remove this bracket either. Had to use tiny socket and SMALL pair of pliers to remove and reinstall. All the while scratching up the adaptor plate to change out. Always fun to scratch up a $$20K+ motor to check a silly filter you can hardly get to. Cheap pot metal bracket so beware. Be super careful with your cowling too as it is only $1600 bucks. Lordy.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That bolt definitely is at an odd angle- and you're right it's a bear to get out of there too if the bracket is damaged.

Suggestion: When mounting the sender, mount it higher than the fittings/tubing so there's no chance water sneaks up/into the sensor itself. Doesn't have to be vertical... just higher than the tubing.

7. Member
    Will try that. I basically ziptied the unit to its pigtail and used a cut piece of tubing to run back to it from tee. One last thing, I noticed lots of orange "dust" under the cowling all over the engine. Well the center cap for the flywheel was orange I saw on a video. Mine is gone so I feel it was chewed up in the flywheel and belt. I dont see any damage just a mess. Do I need to replace this cap? Or does it really matter?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you're going to be around salt water, YES, replace the cap.

Regardless: CLEAN UP ALL DEBRIS. Any debris left under the cowling may end up INSIDE the engine.

9. Member
    Don, I also found the water line that feeds the Pitot sensor to be clogged. Cleared it out but I do not run a speedo off the tubbing so I removed it and the Tee and ran the line from the L/U straight to the sensor without the Tee, extra line coiled up and the stopper. Hope that is ok? When that hole gets stopped up what can I expect from the motor? I noticed it lunged twice the day it got stopped up.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No problem doing it that way, BUT I'll share one tidbit: I have seen a couple of cases where the pitot passage was full of water and plugged... FROZE and broken into the gear lube sector of the case. Not only is it a royal PIA to find, there's not much you can do for it other than replace the case, or get creative with thin, pourable epoxy.

11. Member
    If I have the merc monitor and the gateway (Backboned to my Solix), does either one of them show estimated speed from this (Pitot) sensor or does it only go to the ecm for it's purposes?

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Depends on how you set up "Speed" in your MercMonitor. It "could" utilize Pitot speed (though it's not always very accurate).

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Be extremely careful here. Engine needs to be at level trim and SLOWLY turn on the water. System really wasn't designed for the pressure that SOME hose bibs might put out (direct-connected).
    you saying that the engine needs to be level when flushing with the garden hose? I flushed mine the other day using the port flush and had it trimmed up ...oops
    Last edited by VA Bass; 04-12-2024 at 11:02 AM.
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Always level.

15. Member
    what happens if it's trimmed up when you flush, I never heard of that.
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Water does not exit properly from passages and exits as was intended, and may pool up in the system, potentially in places it should never be.

17. Member
    wow. I had no idea. I have since had it out and everything ran great.
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234