100 hour/oil change goof...

Ok, so I goofed up a bit. Did the 100 hour today on my SHO 225, using 100 hour kit from SIM. After draining the engine oil (more on that below), I replaced the oil drain bolt. I didn't find a replacement washer in the kit, so assumed i was to re-use the existing one. Only later after I've refilled etc i find the replacement washer that was indeed in the SIM kit :(. So, of course I can't really pull the plug again and change it without dumping all that fresh oil... It's a metal washer, assumingly some sort of crush washer? I was able to snug up the oil drain bolt without any fuss, so wondering if I am ok re-using that washer? Or if I need to buy 7 more qts of oil and do it all again :(.

Also, just a PSA - don't remove the filter until after you've tilted the motor up and down to get all the oil down out of the engine block lol... what a mess.
    At least my jackplate is nice and clean now too hammer.gif

2. Member
    you will be fine. although they are stated as one time use i sometimes reuse aluminum crush washers and have never had an issue. i maintain all my vehicles as well as my kids and their spouses.
    NEVER AN ISSUE

definitely keep an eye on your lower unit for an oil leak but i bet it will be fine
    Last edited by dimitri; 03-02-2024 at 07:19 PM. Reason: seldom changed to sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    you will be fine. although they are stated as one time use i seldom reuse aluminum crush washers and have never had an issue. i maintain all my vehicles as well as my kids and their spouses.
    NEVER AN ISSUE

definitely keep an eye on your lower unit for an oil leak but i bet it will be fine
    Yep ok that was kinda my thinking as well - have re-used metal crush washers in other applications without any issues, but when it's a 20K+ motor it kinda makes you step back and think for a second lol... I'll just keep eye on it as mentioned, if I see any leaking or oil loss I'll bite the bullet and re-do it.

Thanks -

4. Member
    Like mentioned above I’m sure it will be fine but is there a reason why someone couldn’t drain the new oil and put it right back in without having to re-purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by okskeetertzx190 View Post
    Like mentioned above I’m sure it will be fine but is there a reason why someone couldn’t drain the new oil and put it right back in without having to re-purchase?
    Probably not... however in my case I wound up finding the old crush washer laying in the oil catch pan - not sure how it got there but I must have dropped it in the removal or replacement process - which of course mean I had no washer on the bolt like I thought before :(. So, I rigged up my bucket and deflector, grabbed the new washer, sloooowwwly loosened the drail plug, popped it out and plugged the hole with one hand and put the new washer on the bolt with the other, and screwed it back it. It was messy, but I wound up only loosing about a half a quart, so I topped it off and bobs your uncle.

Lesson learned for next time lol.

6. Member
    https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-Made-...%2C129&sr=8-15

Get one of these for $25 and never mess with that drain plug again

I actually have one, different brand but same thing. Last service the shop used dino-oil, I was switching to 4M so wanted to get as much of the dino out as possible :). But yeah, next time will be sucking it out.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 03-07-2024 at 07:14 PM.

8. Member
    If you are really worried about it. Put a shop vac on the oil fill port as keep a vacuum on it. Then remove the drain plug and replace washer. Just make sure to not have a lot of vacuum or you will suck out some oil.