Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Been using he Shin knot for several years now mostly with 20# Siffix 832 and 10# Invizx. Never had a problem nor have I broken at the knot.
    Also Thomas, 20# 832 is a relatively thick diameter braid. I use the Shin Fukae/Lazy Alberto with 8lb Sunline Xplasma Asegai, 16 & 20 lb YGK SS12, and 10lb X9...all of these braids are much thinner than 20# 832.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    For A-Rig applications of the OP, this will probably not work well.
    He said drop shotting. For an A rig 50 lb braid with a 17-20 lb leader works great, either Pline CXX or Trilene big game for the leader.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    He said drop shotting. For an A rig 50 lb braid with a 17-20 lb leader works great, either Pline CXX or Trilene big game for the leader.
    Yeah, going back and reading it again, he is looking for both. From what I can gather the same poster is getting into A-Rigs since he just posted on which reel he should get for the tech. He ended up with a CU K 200 7.4:1 IIRC on the Rod & Reels forum.
    Last edited by dragon1; 03-07-2024 at 11:30 PM.

4. Member
    What i said was the dropshot braid to leader didnt work well so i gave up and using straight flro .. no problem with that so ill stick with what works. Yes im getting into A rigs and so far straight 20 lb floro is working well also but if i could use braid with a floro leader i think i could cast even farther . Im afriad of the xtra knot because I had bad luck with it D shotting. If i could be confidant in a good knot I may give it a try . sorry if I confused.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

That's going to be a big knot to be casting through guides on an A-rig. I think it's doable, but I also think you'll want to commit to the FG with a leader that heavy. I'm also not sure you'll get that much extra casting distance, though that all depends.

One thing to point out since there's a lot of CXX discussion in this thread: The reason that stuff is so tough is that it is THICK. It's thicker than any other line I've ever seen for a given lb test rating. For example, 8 lb CXX is the same diameter as Sunline 14 lb, nearly as thick as Seaguar 15. The 17lb CXX is thicker than Sunline or Seaguar 25 lb. Based on my experiences flipping with 25 lb Sunline, I don't think you'll be able to use more than a few feet of 17 lb CXX leader as the knot won't go through the level-wind onto a reel without some coaxing, and it's going to pose problems trying to cast for any distance.

In general, Sunline and Seaguar are going to have the thinnest diameters for mono and fluoro. Berkley is pretty reliably thicker, but there's variance; for example, XT is thicker than XL (and I kind of think they're identical, they just under-rate the XT so it seems "extra tough"), and their Big Game and 100% Fluorocarbon are in the middle of XT and XL. Then their X9's diameter is just plain mismeasured. P-Line is all over the map. I already mentioned the CXX, their "Tactical Fluorocarbon" is just a bit thicker than Sunline and Seaguar, their Shinsei leader material is a bit thicker than that, their new "Spin-X" leader is about the same diameter as Sunline and Seaguar. Sufix tends to have thicker diameters as well, pretty on par with Berkley. And so on.

Braid is a different animal entirely.

Moral of the story is a drum that I've been beating forever: Lb test ratings are a bad way to identify fishing line because there's no standard, and the marketing folks have taken advantage! Diameters are really the only way to compare apples to apples, both in terms of line performance and in how your bait will act when tied to that line. Even then there are issues, like when companies mislabel their diameters. PE Ratings like they use are overseas are awesome, and I think subject to a more formal measurement process to yield consistent info.

Apologies for the tangent. If it's not obvious, the games these fishing line companies play really drive me nuts!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    I always love to read Drew's threads, so informative. I call him the Professor of fishing knowledge. At 82 years old my hands or brains can't tie the FG knot, so I use the Alberto knot.
    FYI, yesterday I caught my first DD, 10.40lbs. Using two of Drew's suggestions. 10lb Tatus leader and a Gama Executive series B10S #4 hook on 15# Smackdown Flash Grn braid.
    Thank you Drew....

7. Member
    8 lb test pline CXX is .30 mm which is pretty standard for most 8-10 lb non braided lines. If you leader knot is trying to go through the level wind on your baitcaster it is way too long. You don't need a leader longer than 3-4 feet.

8. Member
    8 lb test pline CXX is .30 mm which is pretty standard for most 8-10 lb non braided lines. If you leader knot is trying to go through the level wind on your baitcaster it is way too long. You don't need a leader longer than 3-4 feet.
    Yep...shorter leader and choose a strong knot you can tie effectively and efficiently...or go straight broad and use a more moderate action rod or just a Heavy power since the A-Rig the OP is using is less than 1.5 oz.

9. Member
    Thanks guys this is a lot of good info. so I decided after all that that the 20lb straight floro is working so I'm going to stand down.
    Just not seeing the benefit of fooling with an extra knot. I may give straight braid a run though. Line visibility may not matter on an A-rig like it does on a D shot.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

Just going down the mono or fluoro list on Tackle Warehouse, it doesn't take long to refute that CXX shares a "standard" diameter with other lines. Looking in detail, it seems only Trilene XT is on par with CXX thickness.

Mono 8 lb diameters:
    Berkley Trilene XL - 0.25 mm
    Berkley Sensation - 0.254 mm
    Berkley Trilene XT - 0.30 mm - I guess you were right on that one
    Stren Original - 0.28 mm
    Berkley Big Game - 0.28 mm
    Maxima Ultragreen - 0.254 mm
    Sunline Super Natural - 0.235 mm
    Strike King Tour Grade - 0.28 mm
    Googan Squad Mono - 0.259 mm
    Izorline First String, KastKing TriPolymer - diameters not listed
    Maxima Chameleon - 0.25 mm
    P-Line Original Line - 0.241 mm

Fluoro 8 lb diameters:
    Berkley 100% Fluorocabon - 0.28 mm
    Berkley Fluorshield - 0.254 mm
    Berkley Vanish - 0.27 mm
    Yo Zuri T-7 - 0.235 mm
    Seaguar Invisx - 0.23 mm
    Seaguar Red Label - 0.235 mm
    Sunline Sniper - 0.24 mm
    Berkley Big Game Fluoro - 0.27 mm
    Seaguar Gold Label - 0.22 mm
    Daiwa J-Fluoro - 0.254 mm

You could keep going for either, but I think the point is made. In any case, the only reason I brought it up in the first place was to point out even though most anglers would agree that line diameter matters, we use what's at best an inexact way of talking about it.

On the second point: I like my leaders long enough to be on the reel for lots of reasons. Guess I'm lucky I didn't know til now that it's "way too long." Personally, I don't think it's worth bothering with a leader if it's only 3-4 feet. But then again, that's my personal preference. Far be it for me to tell someone something that works for them is wrong. We'll have to agree to disagree there.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Quote Originally Posted by Fish 4 Fun Txn View Post
    I always love to read Drew's threads, so informative. I call him the Professor of fishing knowledge. At 82 years old my hands or brains can't tie the FG knot, so I use the Alberto knot.
    FYI, yesterday I caught my first DD, 10.40lbs. Using two of Drew's suggestions. 10lb Tatus leader and a Gama Executive series B10S #4 hook on 15# Smackdown Flash Grn braid.
    Thank you Drew....
    Congrats on the giant!!!

I really appreciate the kind words. I don't think they're deserved--I am a professor and I happen to enjoy bass fishing--but I think most of the rest is that I spend way too much time overanalyzing stuff and typing it up on BBC. I figure if I've spent the time to tinker or research something, it's better if I can share it and maybe save someone else the time and effort. Plus I like helping when I can. I'd wager that many, many anglers on this board would wipe the floor with me on the water. It's still a lot of fun though!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Just going down the mono or fluoro list on Tackle Warehouse, it doesn't take long to refute that CXX shares a "standard" diameter with other lines. Looking in detail, it seems only Trilene XT is on par with CXX thickness.

Mono 8 lb diameters:
    Berkley Trilene XL - 0.25 mm
    Berkley Sensation - 0.254 mm
    Berkley Trilene XT - 0.30 mm - I guess you were right on that one
    Stren Original - 0.28 mm
    Berkley Big Game - 0.28 mm
    Maxima Ultragreen - 0.254 mm
    Sunline Super Natural - 0.235 mm
    Strike King Tour Grade - 0.28 mm
    Googan Squad Mono - 0.259 mm
    Izorline First String, KastKing TriPolymer - diameters not listed
    Maxima Chameleon - 0.25 mm
    P-Line Original Line - 0.241 mm

Fluoro 8 lb diameters:
    Berkley 100% Fluorocabon - 0.28 mm
    Berkley Fluorshield - 0.254 mm
    Berkley Vanish - 0.27 mm
    Yo Zuri T-7 - 0.235 mm
    Seaguar Invisx - 0.23 mm
    Seaguar Red Label - 0.235 mm
    Sunline Sniper - 0.24 mm
    Berkley Big Game Fluoro - 0.27 mm
    Seaguar Gold Label - 0.22 mm
    Daiwa J-Fluoro - 0.254 mm

You could keep going for either, but I think the point is made. In any case, the only reason I brought it up in the first place was to point out even though most anglers would agree that line diameter matters, we use what's at best an inexact way of talking about it.

On the second point: I like my leaders long enough to be on the reel for lots of reasons. Guess I'm lucky I didn't know til now that it's "way too long." Personally, I don't think it's worth bothering with a leader if it's only 3-4 feet. But then again, that's my personal preference. Far be it for me to tell someone something that works for them is wrong. We'll have to agree to disagree there.
    Notice I said 8-10 lb test lines, however I agree with you on line diameter, I pay close attention to that as well. I have actually tested several different lines to see what their strength to diameter ratio is. Just a few examples average break strength after 3 tests on each.
    Pline CXX 8 lb test .30mm 14.73 lbs break strength
    Pline CXX 12 lb test .37mm 17.85 lbs break strength
    Pline CXX 17 lb test .41mm 30.22 lbs break strength
    Pline C21 12 lb test .29mm 15.22 lbs break strength
    Seguar Red label 12 lb test .31mm 9.69lb break strength.
    I have more results if you are interested. As far as leaders go I have been fishing for 20 years and have never needed one longer than 4 feet.

13. Member
    I use heavier fluoro leader for topwaters, so too long a length negatively effects a floating lure. Also, I use a lot of mod-fast tapered rods with braid + leader, so a shorter length give me some cushion and at the same time I don't have to set hard on trebles in order to get good hook penetration.

14. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish 4 Fun Txn View Post
    Thank you Drew....
    I'm betting you could get the hang of the FG. I did and I've got 12 thumbs! Takes practice for sure, but also takes finding the right method and technique. I've found the G-Man method of looping the braid around the reel handle to be the most reliable. I still need some practice, but I can at least tie it correctly. Biggest thing for me was getting the tension right on the main line while tying.

As far as the fraying, I've noticed the "PE" type of braided line really needs to be watched. It'll fray and break at the connection knot and the lighter the line the more prone to breaking and fraying.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Fluoro leader in front of five wire spreaders with swivels? Are you sure you can't get away with straight braid?
    I don't throw them anymore, but yeah just go straight braid for the A-rig.

16. Member
    Well, I use 15 lb power pro to fluro with the shin knot. 14/15 wraps 10 lb or lighter leader. If mine pulls loose it's at the lure, double pitzen knot. 10 lb braid is a little hinkier. The braid frays but doesn't pull out, if it's hitting the guides trim off some more fluro. I do it because it's cheap. I usually have 3/4 spinning set ups out and more in the box. A big spool of power pro and a couple of different leader materials lasts me a couple years, at least. I'm sure straight fluro is better in some situations but it's too much expense and trouble dealing with it. Imo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12