Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dartag1829

Lowrance FFS Explained Please.

Watching Live and they show Stetson Blaylocks Lowrance FFS and I see what looks like a tree and nothing else.

Looking at the Garmin screens and you see a dot then the bait falling then the fish getting reeled in if it eats it..

Am I missing something with Lowrance. Even when Wheeler had it in BPT it was hard to figure it out.

Disclaimer: I do not have FFS ( yet ).

2. Member
    What’s your question?

3. Member
    Conventional wisdom for those "in the know" has Garmin better than Lowrance in FFS.
    Most folks say much better. The Garmin LVS34 is better than Lowrance AT2.
    I have Garmin with the LVS 34, but have never done a direct comparison with Lowrance AT2.

4. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by capt1fish View Post
    What’s your question?
    What are the Lowrance guys seeing.

5. Member
    I have Lowrance and have no problem seeing my crappie jigs if that's what you are asking. The sonar beam is pretty narrow, at least in forward mode. If the transducer moves, even a little bit, the bait won't be in the beam. Maybe a case of ill timed camera shots?
    Last edited by mikeky; 03-01-2024 at 11:16 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    What are the Lowrance guys seeing.
    It’s not fair to make a comparison between Garmin and Lowrance FFS unless they’re both fixed on the same piece of structure at the same time. So it’s hard to comment on which screen shots you’re referencing to.

That being said, Garmin FFS has a wider angle of view compared to Lowrance’s. This wider angle of view is the reason why you can easily see baits on the screen compared to Lowrance. However, as mentioned above, guys can see baits on Lowrance units if casted in the angle of view, not to mention DC and Wheeler winning with Lowrance.

7. Member
    The beam is 20* on Garmin as opposed to 18* on Lowrance, so not a huge difference.

The resolution rendered on the Garmin is more detailed and appears different. Some prefer that visual, some don’t. I have AT2 and it gives plenty of detail for what matters, and I can tell when a fish is facing sideways which direction it is facing and watch the tail undulating.

i definitively give the nod to Garmin, but AT2 works just fine. OP likely needs to search out a few YT vids to see some good representation of both technologies in order to understand them better.

8. Member
    It’s not hard to understand at all, Garmin is better. These are the best in the world though, they know what blobs or dots are. Us sucks, might not though.

2 degrees might not sound like much, but it makes plenty of difference.

9. Member
    Honestly from what I’ve seen I think I would buy mega live before I bought active target. I have Garmin though and it is by far the best.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

Not much difference in any of them and I've used them all. Lots of bs posted everywhere online about clarity differences between the different brands or models within the brands. Watching Iive the past 2 weeks literally shows there's no difference. You see a blob moving and it's a fish, not much to it regardless of whats said online.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    It’s not hard to understand at all, Garmin is better. These are the best in the world though, they know what blobs or dots are. Us sucks, might not though.

Sometimes I can’t help but admire just how adorable you are.

12. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Last update really dialed in mega live units
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

13. Member

I've listened to interviews with some of the best scopers in the world and they have been saying that they throw at everything that is close in size to a bass. So if they can't tell species very reliably, don't believe your buddy that he can
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

14. Member
    You see plenty of Lowrance rigged boats with a single Garmin for Livescope. I have yet to see a Garmin rigged boat with a single Lowrance unit for AT. Just an observation

15. Member
    Can you show us examples of a fish facing right and one facing left? Thanks.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tunamann View Post
    The beam is 20* on Garmin as opposed to 18* on Lowrance, so not a huge difference.

The resolution rendered on the Garmin is more detailed and appears different. Some prefer that visual, some don’t. I have AT2 and it gives plenty of detail for what matters, and I can tell when a fish is facing sideways which direction it is facing and watch the tail undulating.

i definitively give the nod to Garmin, but AT2 works just fine. OP likely needs to search out a few YT vids to see some good representation of both technologies in order to understand them better.
    Well, that 2 degrees makes a much bigger difference the farther out you are. At 30-40 feet its not as noticeable as when you get out to 80-199 feet.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Can you show us examples of a fish facing right and one facing left? Thanks.
    Unfortunately, I don't have a screen shot but last year I followed a school of stripers around on my AT2. It was a simple thing to see what direction they were facing and traveling. As long as they were on the screen and you threw a bait slightly in front of them, we caught a fish on every cast. Also watched a spot swim up from the bottom and swim completely around my slowing sinking Senko. I could see tail and pelvic fins moving as he swam around it. He finally bit.

They call it live and when dialed in, details of the fish are definitely visible. At close range. Doubt I could see that detail at 60' but I rarely cast that far anyway.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

18. Member

It only gives you an additional 10" of viewing on either side of the cone at 50' and your cone is over 16' wide at 50'. Maybe the electronics manufacturers have different gains put in when a target is nearer to the edge of the cone.

Does Garmin LVS34 cost that much more than Live Target?
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

20. Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast