Thread: Home Depot Rant

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar

Angry Home Depot Rant

In November, we ordered new kitchen cabinets, granite counter tops, and appliances from THD. Everything was paid for up front.

Today we are still waiting for replacement cabinets, replacement of the replacement refridgerator, and are being told the countertop cannot be made the way we were told. (Seam will be in the middle of the countertop instead of at the sink.)

The original cabinets contained product that was rejected by THD. The replacements that took 6 weeks contained product that was rejected by THD. We have been told all along that replacements would take 5 - 10 business days. The latest replacements are not due in for another two weeks, and were ordered 4 weeks ago.

The original fridge had the power cord sheared when they brought it in the house. The replacement got dented bringing it in. The latest replacement is due tomorrow.

All of this has held up the new floor installation as well.

In the meantime we are paying taxes, heat and electric on two houses, and a mortgage we could have dropped already, while we wait for a very poorly managed renovation project.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

2. Member
    Okay
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by CGWright View Post
    In November, we ordered new kitchen cabinets, granite counter tops, and appliances from THD. Everything was paid for up front.

Today we are still waiting for replacement cabinets, replacement of the replacement refridgerator, and are being told the countertop cannot be made the way we were told. (Seam will be in the middle of the countertop instead of at the sink.)

The original cabinets contained product that was rejected by THD. The replacements that took 6 weeks contained product that was rejected by THD. We have been told all along that replacements would take 5 - 10 business days. The latest replacements are not due in for another two weeks, and were ordered 4 weeks ago.

The original fridge had the power cord sheared when they brought it in the house. The replacement got dented bringing it in. The latest replacement is due tomorrow.

All of this has held up the new floor installation as well.

In the meantime we are paying taxes, heat and electric on two houses, and a mortgage we could have dropped already, while we wait for a very poorly managed renovation project.
    Yeah that sucks for sure. Hope it all finally works out for you all sooner rather than later.

4. Member
    Sucks this is happening to you, but why would you go with Home Depot to handle a project of this size and importance being that it's a kitchen reno?

5. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Sucks this is happening to you, but why would you go with Home Depot to handle a project of this size and importance being that it's a kitchen reno?
    Because we didn't know any better I guess.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

6. Member
    I hope you feel better today after venting.. I do know HD sells vents

Very unfortunate. Hope it all works out.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

8. Member
    That sucks. Hope you get it straightened out.

9. Member
    Who would be better to go through? I actually don't know who else sells kitchen cabinets at the moment so just curious what may be a better route. From what I've heard many times and actual iwitness accounts many independent contractors can't be trusted.

The joy of dealing with nationwide big box retailers. I hope you get it worked out.

Frustrating for you guys I am sure. Hope you get it all worked out soon.

Not that it helps you now...but 5 years ago when we were redoing our kitchen, our contractor (who's a personal friend) said upfront, "if you want stuff from HD or Lowes...find someone else, I'm not putting my name to any project that has that junk." We had already decided on custom cabinetry, which was good, but he said he's seen too many instances of stuff getting damaged in delivery, built poorly, wrong dimensions, etc. We're about to start on our new master bath...same conversation about the vanity.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

sorry to hear it Craig, guess you'll have to stay patient?? good luck.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

14. Bob G's pool boy
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianKF View Post
    Who would be better to go through? I actually don't know who else sells kitchen cabinets at the moment so just curious what may be a better route. From what I've heard many times and actual iwitness accounts many independent contractors can't be trusted.
    Talk to reputable contractors in your area.

I worked at Home Depot for a couple years and there's no way I'd special order anything from them. The entire process is a mess.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

I hate that for you. It seems like when one thing goes wrong in a remodel job it's just like dominoes falling.

16. Member
    If it makes you feel any better, Lowes isn't any better. I only wanted a 6' counter for camp and the estimated lead time was 10-14 days. It was 9 weeks and 3 trips to the store before I finally got it and the store manager acted like she was doing ME a favor by not charging me again for the end caps that I had already paid for when I ordered
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

17. Member
    You hire a company that specializes in kitchen and bath renovation utilizing tradesman.

18. Member
    Do you have any more locally based building supply centers in your area? The earlier advice to talk to a contractor is also good. They can recommend which building supply they like better although I find it's often based on one bad experience with so-and-so. Mistakes happen but it's how they deal with it to make it right that makes all the difference. We have Hammond, Viking and Ware Butler here and I can find contractors that WILL NOT give a dime to one of the three because of a bad experience but it's a different company for each contractor.

My buddy is a former contractor turned salesman at one of those three and he tells me they've had to set the bar so low just to keep hands in the yard and drivers on the road. That's where a lot of the late/damaged goods are coming from
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

19. Member
    Cancel the order, return the fridge, get your refund, then get a reliable contractor to finish the job.

20. Member
    You hire a company that specializes in kitchen and bath renovation utilizing tradesman.
    This is true but usually isn't the most budget-friendly. Asking around for a local cabinet maker is another option or if you have an Amish community nearby you might want to check with them

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast