Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I found that there were very few heavy packages. Most can be carried with one hand except during the week after Black Friday when all the women have ordered cases of wine. That's the worst cause you have to get siggys on every drop and if no answer, you leave a slip.
    What's the most number of times you've had to return to the same house for the same package?
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    What's the most number of times you've had to return to the same house for the same package?
    Oh, I can't answer that since I was only PT but I can tell you those women wanted their wine so they made sure to make the proper arrangements after missing it once.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I found that there were very few heavy packages. Most can be carried with one hand except during the week after Black Friday when all the women have ordered cases of wine. That's the worst cause you have to get siggys on every drop and if no answer, you leave a slip.
    It varies on each route. I have an industrial route and have several packages every day over 100lbs. I deliver trampolines, bow flexes, recliners, dog food, and furniture nearly everyday. I average 150 deliveries a day(one of the lightest routes in my center) and I'd say close to half of them requires a dolly. Those wine drinking ladies love Wayfair, and nothin light is delivered from them.

4. Member
    My dad worked for ups for nearly 40 years. It irks me to see people treat drivers like they're lazy and do nothing all day. My dad came home exhausted every day with salt stains on his uniform shirts from sweating so much.

5. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newwguy View Post
    My dad worked for ups for nearly 40 years. It irks me to see people treat drivers like they're lazy and do nothing all day. My dad came home exhausted every day with salt stains on his uniform shirts from sweating so much.
    I really think that’s rare if at all. My driver works his ass off and works late too
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by newwguy View Post
    It's always the usual suspects on this site who seize the opportunity to bash unions and paint all union workers as overpaid and lazy.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    The correct answer is 3. We make 3 attempts on any pkg requiring a signature. Then hold for 5 days. Then return to sender. The numbers reported for income are inflated because they include health insurance and pension contributions. We make $43/hr and earn every cent. No one mentions that it takes putting your life on hold for 10yrs until seniority turns over and you are even eligible for a full time job. Most of us spent our 20s hoping for a full time job. (I started at 18 right out of high school, and didnt get to be full time until age 29.) Once we got it, took 2 or 4 yrs (depending on contract) to get full rate. So after 12 or 14 yrs on average, you finally make decent money. A lot of that commitment for a job goes overlooked just looking at publicly posted income numbers.

8. Member
    Always kind of scary to see any cutbacks of freight or package delivery company jobs. They are usually the harbingers of how the economy is going to be. if I was guessing I'll bet the trucking companies are seeing a slowdown as well.

9. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    The correct answer is 3. We make 3 attempts on any pkg requiring a signature. Then hold for 5 days. Then return to sender. The numbers reported for income are inflated because they include health insurance and pension contributions. We make $43/hr and earn every cent. No one mentions that it takes putting your life on hold for 10yrs until seniority turns over and you are even eligible for a full time job. Most of us spent our 20s hoping for a full time job. (I started at 18 right out of high school, and didnt get to be full time until age 29.) Once we got it, took 2 or 4 yrs (depending on contract) to get full rate. So after 12 or 14 yrs on average, you finally make decent money. A lot of that commitment for a job goes overlooked just looking at publicly posted income numbers.
    When it comes to benefits a lot of people fail to understand how valuable a company funded pension plan with guaranteed payout after retirement age and discounted or nearly free health insurance is while working there. Sure the place down the road pays a couple dollars more an hour but there's no pension, no union, no health insurance (unless you wanna pay a ton for said company health insurance). Most younger people aren't going to realize how important good company benefits are until it's too late. They're too impatient to stick it out and earn their stripes.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10. Member
    Guy I graduated with in 71 worked UPS for 40 years. After he retired, he spent several years getting operated on. Shoulder, wrists, and hands. He good now, travels all over with his wife with some other UPS buddies.

11. Member
    My young son is good friends with our driver Randal, they hunt together many weeks a year,plus help each other on building projects. Talking to Randal to day he said it’s been really,really slow volume has been dropping steady sense the holidays…
    Last edited by JTN; 03-01-2024 at 06:37 AM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Gray View Post
    Always kind of scary to see any cutbacks of freight or package delivery company jobs. They are usually the harbingers of how the economy is going to be. if I was guessing I'll bet the trucking companies are seeing a slowdown as well.
    16 years of being an LTL freight driver, 09 was the only time I've seen it slower than it is now. My run has been cancelling at least once a week for a while now. Our northeast freight out of Lexington has really slowed, one of our Columbus, Oh. schedules is cancelling 3-4 nights every week. Presidential election year always slows it down too. You are right it is a good indicator of the economy.

13. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    It is 720 pm here and my UPS guy just delivered my package. I always see the trucks roll out of their plant at 9am. That is a long day for those guys!
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    Guy I graduated with in 71 worked UPS for 40 years. After he retired, he spent several years getting operated on. Shoulder, wrists, and hands. He good now, travels all over with his wife with some other UPS buddies.
    Sounds pretty accurate. The guy that I know that has worked for UPS as a delivery driver has had two hip replacements, torn bicep and torn rotator cuff.

People would be surprised how something as easy as putting on your seatbelt a 1,000 times per week takes a toll on your shoulder and rotator cuff. It is by no means an easy job.
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler Bob View Post
    Sounds pretty accurate. The guy that I know that has worked for UPS as a delivery driver has had two hip replacements, torn bicep and torn rotator cuff.

People would be surprised how something as easy as putting on your seatbelt a 1,000 times per week takes a toll on your shoulder and rotator cuff. It is by no means an easy job.
    It's really bad on your knees and ankles. Just climbing into the UPS Truck is 3 stairs. 3 Stair s x 150 deliveries is 450 stairs. Basically Im climbing a 45 story building everyday just getting into the truck.

16. Member
    I’d like to apologize to anyone I might’ve offended with my knee jerk reaction to how UPS was cutting 12K jobs. I really shouldn’t have brought the drivers into the discussion.

Agree that UPS drivers are very professional and hard working. You guys clearly earn what you do for a reason.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
    I’d like to apologize to anyone I might’ve offended with my knee jerk reaction to how UPS was cutting 12K jobs. I really shouldn’t have brought the drivers into the discussion.

Agree that UPS drivers are very professional and hard working. You guys clearly earn what you do for a reason.

I don't get offended by much online. If you were to pop your mouth off in person like that I would have no problem shutting it for you

Thank you sir. I had a tough time biting my tongue but others defended us.

20. Member
    Didn't they just renegotiate a contract with the union to pay their drivers anywhere from 130-170K a year.

And now they're cutting a massive amount of jobs so a small number of drivers literally sitting on their asses all day can make 130-170K.
    Don’t think that is issue it’s the economy under Biden is tanking everything. No business need less drivers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast